Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips

Comments

• Chrisb1990
    Chrisb1990 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post
    Mad despot there are mixed reviews with many having no issues at all but great eyes. Did you have lasik or lasek? Because normally if you don't get the outcome you would like they do corrective surgery to fix it. Also why did you only have it done in one eye?
  • mad_despot
    mad_despot Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2018 at 6:19PM
    Chrisb1990 wrote: »
    Mad despot there are mixed reviews with many having no issues at all but great eyes. Did you have lasik or lasek? Because normally if you don't get the outcome you would like they do corrective surgery to fix it. Also why did you only have it done in one eye?

I had PRK, which generally has fewer complications than lasik, as there are not the problems associated with the corneal flap, and they treat a larger area; however, they still only treated, I believe, 6.5mm, which many people's pupils will often expand beyond. I believe the treated area is under 5mm with lasik, hence leading to worse starburst issues etc.

It was the policy when I had it done to treat one eye at a time, probably because PRK required more healing time. I'm very glad indeed that I didn't have both eyes done.

It's always hard to believe the reviews of anything that you read on the internet. Even in this thread, who's to say that someone in the business of offering this type of surgery isn't posting made up reviews?

Yes, some people say they've had a great result, but, along with plenty of others, I strongly advise people not to do it. If you are really determined to have it, at least have one eye done (they treat your worst eye first) and wait until that's fully healed before deciding whether to have the other eye treated; you may well decide not to have the other eye treated as I did.
  • Chrisb1990
    First Post
    Lasik has fewer complications because the flap is put back down after so only need to heal around the edge. Lasek the whole thing has to grow back which means you can take weeks to recover fully. I know people myself who have had it done and have had no complications so it wasn't just from reviews, however trust-pilot is a good source still.

The laser optical express use at bluewater which is where I am having it done is a laser called visx which has a 9mm treatment area so I guess it was older technology used when you had a it done.

There are better lasers out there like the German schwind laser but I believe that would mean a travel to london and im not sure if optical express have that I think its Optimax. Optimax however don't have a better laser down this way than optical express.
  • mad_despot
    Crisb1990, I recommend you have a good look at this website:

http://lasikcomplications.com

and this page:

http://lasikcomplications.com/largepupils.htm

They don't treat 9mm, there is a blend zone, but the treated area is not more than 6.5mm. The lens area of my contact lens is 8.5mm by comparison and my pupil extends a fraction beyond that. Believe me, when your pupil expands 2mm beyond the treated area, the vision is very poor indeed.

You certainly need to have your pupils measured in low light (mine get larger after exercise I've noticed).

Having a flap cut in your eye brings with it various potential complications.

The trouble is, the vast majority of information you can read about this surgery on the internet is provided by those with a vested interest in downplaying the risks, i.e. those who are making money out of offering this procedure.
  • Chrisb1990
    First Post
    Mad_despot, I had my surgery on Tuesday and the results have been absolutely amazing. By the very next day I had better than 20 20 vision and it just continues to get better. Best thing I have every spent my money on imo.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    where did u get it done
  • Chrisb1990
    First Post
    Optical Express
  • Chrisb1990
    First Post
    Also mad despot this is the visx laser. A 9mm treatment zone

https://www.lasereye.com/technology/visx-star
  • mad_despot
    edited 20 July 2018 at 5:58PM
    Chrisb1990, firstly I'm very glad that you're happy with the outcome you've had.

They say the treatment area is up to 9mm, but that isn't the same as the corrected area; they can't cut a lens that big in the front of your eye because of the amount of tissue that would have to be removed.

For sure, if you have smaller pupils then this may well be satisfactory. But the flap that is cut can still cause long term problems and my advice to anyone is still the same; wait for better alternatives, such as permanent contact lenses, to become well proven. Your sight is not something to take chances with.
  • Just had my consultation with OE. Very pleasant experience. Drops and all procedures were ok. No discomfort. (Just struggling to focus to write this message.)
    Was told i am a candidate for ilasik wave yadayada and was quoted based on my subscription. £4190. I simply told them it was no where near the figure I would settle for. 10 mins later in another room after all procedures/talks and videos, I was told that after speaking with head offices, £895 was knocked off and was given a new figure of £3295. Whilst this is a good chuck, again, its not at my desired price.
    Can anyone speak from their experience on whether the will contact me and budge on their latest quote.
    Might go elsewhere to get another quote.
    Made it clear I was not in a hurry.
    There was no pressure in signing up and left pretty satisfied with my experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure