What small moneysaving things will you do this week? W/C 4 December

Comments

• arc2014
    arc2014 Posts: 194
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Morning! All done yesterday apart from investigating the new washing machine. Mustdo that tonight!

More for today:

- Pesto pasta for tea
    - Los for work lunch
    - Coffee from home
    - Send some more emails
    - Bake banana bread - the bananas are BEYOND ripe now, they've been sat since Friday! :eek:
  • Morning everyone
    Arc glad to hear that you have sorted accommodation out:). Hoping the job situation sorts itself out for you
    pauperwelcome, this is a great thread for keeping you on the straight and narrow:)!!

Just when I thought I had finished posting parcels I had to get that one done for my DD. Getting a box was near impossible, managed to adapt a box that I had that was too big and with a lot of sellotape and free RM stamps I managed to send it yesterday. I refuse to send any more parcels now, that's my limit

DD went to pick up some bits that I got half price in Marks, I haven't got a Marks near me but DD has. I managed to get a fleece for £5 with their Sparks offer. DD went to pick them up yesterday and the orders came in bits as they couldn't fulfil all in one go. All I can say is they have made a complete botch up of the orders so poor DD has to go back to sort it out and I spent first thing going through the order details, Marks have made a right mess, but I guess it's that time of year. Some of the bits i have got are ready to put away to donate for a charity auction next year-that's if Marks can find them:(. I also had an email first thing from them saying that if i didn't pick up certain items by Thursday they are being sent back to the warehouse:eek:!!

Cat cleaning done first thing.
    Banking all checked and a bill paid:T
    Been sorting out the last minute Prague details as I'm also away this weekend.
    Bought an advent calender for a friend who has yet to start her Christmas shopping. Going to put some notes on it such as the day she is aiming to get ready for:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Few cards left to do, but don't need to send
    Just about to do a radiator shuffle to get the last of the washing on.
    I have been picking up an extra item every time I go shopping so that we are prepared food wise. We are at my mum's mostly but having those bits in means I can avoid the shops.
    Need to go to M@rrisons today for cat things and going to pick up a box of crackers that are on a special-without a doubt DD will beaver through these:rotfl:. Will stick to buying only one I need.
    Meeting tonight, will prepare later
    That's about it from me
    Have a good day everyone xx
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Today I'm turning the heating off all day as DS will be out for most of it and there's no washing to dry. I've got ingredients for banana bread, mince pies and gingerbread so will bake those at some point this week (but probably not today).

Today I have/will:
    checked banking/had a cry/sorted spreadsheets
    checked TCB but still pending

check PA (on other laptop in case it's just this one playing up)
    get as far ahead on assignment as possible
    submit meter reading

I'm sure there will be more but this afternoon is all taken up by my assignment and I can't think of anything besides that right now!
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • Hi Pauper1 - welcome aboard!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,423
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lets hope the DGD arrival isn't like watching that giraffe last year Dawn :rotfl:
    Am also on project use up from freezer, note several random things on list ;) Bet Determined wins though, that name didn't happen by accident ;)

Still no baby - DD reports that she is taking her dogs for a massive walk and then planning a hot bath :rotfl: GD is at preschool today.
    Yes, I suspect you are right and DNMS will win, but we can give her a run for her money, can't we :rotfl:This morning I have taken a pack of blackberry and apple pie filling and some frozen sweetcorn out of mine, for some baking I am intending to do :)

Today's plans:
    Dog walks x 2 (I already done)
    Load of washing out on line, though it isn't doing much!
    Pack an ebay item
    Make a chicken and mushroom pie (with sweetcorn thrown in), some individual blackberry and apple pies or turnovers and a quiche. DD brought us a bowl of eggs yesterday, and I already had some, so it seems an obvious thing to make. Pastry is mixed and resting in the fridge as I find it behaves better if kept in the fridge for a couple of hours before rolling!
    Clean dish drainer thingy as it looks yucky - we have hard water here, and limescale is not a good look!
    Clean bathroom floor
    Check banks
    Check for surveys, finding them a bit of a bore atm!
    Not planning any spends today, though I need to buy some more Christmas presents! CBA today!
  • arc2014
    arc2014 Posts: 194
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I hope your GD arrives soon Dawn! I was 16 days late with my 1st (although it seemed like 16 weeks at the time!) so everybody was waiting for me!

Thanks all - I feel like such a weight has been lifted, especially now we're in before Christmas. Luckily the babies were happy about moving too! We're close to two of DDs friends & they saw it as a bit of an adventure! Although she was worried Santa wouldn't know we've moved so we had to write him a letter last night ;)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Welcome, Pauper1, pull up a chair and make yourself comfy, we are a lovely bunch :)

The washing machine gods have not been kind to me so I have just bought a new one. The current one came with the house so I have no idea how old it is (but the dishwasher broke earlier this year too.) I toyed with the idea of getting an engineer in but it is integrated so it would be a real faff and there was the chance it would cost almost as much in fallout charges and parts so I've just bitten the bullet. The new one comes next Sunday and has a 1600 spin speed to hopefully will save some money on drying!

I have has nine sales in my little empire this morning, a couple of the new ones look like selling well. I am getting in quotes for more ahead of applying for the LA small business grant.

I too am going to try to empty the freezer though I actually have lots of meals in there but I'm either too lazy too cook them or I don't fancy them so I go to the shop for what I do fancy (crisps) and then end up buying other stuff. So today I have had chicken dippers for lunch (with garlic sauce, that was a good buy, everything tastes better with garlic sauce on!) and I've taken some sea bass out for dinner tonight with some frozen mash.

I've cleaned the fish and over topped up the water so I can take a little more out once all the poo settles again. The cat litter tray needs cleaning so I will do the bathroom at the same time.

I guess I should put away the clean clothes we have as there won't be any more until next Sunday now! I will have to hand wash my uniform. DS's parka was in the washing machine when it broke so that is a big, soggy mess hanging over a chair in the garden, I hope it'll be okay but at least I managed to get it out and luckily he has other coats in the meantime! I should really bail out some of the water in the WM before it gets smelly and to minimise mess when they take it away.

No heating on here (in fact I have the back door open for some fresh air), my mum bought me some fleecy pyjamas yesterday and I plan on wearing them all day too!

I'm off to decorate some more cards!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have a bid on one of my eBay items and watchers on a few of the others!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD wrote: »
    Welcome, Pauper1, pull up a chair and make yourself comfy, we are a lovely bunch :)

oh that we are, that we are (even if we do say so ourselves! :rotfl:) Welcome Pauper :D

Sorry ladies after re-jigging meal plan, playing freezer tetris & turning off 2nd freezer I am here to claim the winner's crown :grin: :laugh:
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,027
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello Tuesday Penny-Wranglers,
    Quite a good day today in that I finished my whole job list (I only tend to share the more money saving highlights on here), but my mood has been a bit on & off between ok & lowish. My own fault....researched something on the internet yesterday that I wish I'd never looked up as have been stressing about it ever since. Bah to everything! But I've done my list:
    *Absolutely no money spent today whatsoever.
    *2 more 50p pieces paid into my sealed pot.
    *mr f found 20p roadkill & as small change annoys him, gave it to me.
    *Last laundry load of the week washed overnight on timer to make use of the half-price tariff. All drying on heated airer. At one point, I also had small items drying on the bathroom towel radiator & oven door to make use of the heat.
    *Used some of yesterday's enormous leftover red cabbage to make a big bowl of coleslaw. L/o lentil loaf for tonight's meal also, with some of mr f's lovely home made jacket wedges.
    *Baked cinnamon, orange & cranberry Christmas cake for my Mum. I always used to make one for Dad - he loved this cake, esp the cointreau (well, Aldi look-e-likey...) & Mum still wanted to have one, as it lasts for 3 months from baking, so is something she can have a little piece of each day. Used almost all Aldi baking ingredients, except for dried cranberries.
    *Baked a loaf.
    *Sorted out my bulging inbox for all the local political stuff I'm involved with. Saved clean-on-one-side paper for scrap...v useful on Budget Days where I often work several different permutations through on paper. Also saved large envelopes for ebaying. Everything else shredded & that has filled a bin liner ready for adding to compost bins & to use as bedding in our worm composter.
    *Wrote job lists for tomorrow & Thursday in the 'Daily' section of my new bullet journal, which is working very well for me.
    *Decorated an old empty chocolates tin to use for gifting my Mum her cake.
    *Altered a recycled little box & added a lid, tag & found a nice ribbon ready for wrapping the fudge I will soon be making for a gift.
    *Wrote to Mum - am trying to make sure that she gets a nice newsy letter on the weeks where she doesn't see us. Decided to write it today so I can pop it in with her Christmas card & save a stamp.
    *Rhubarb compote for lunch instead of fresh fruit......this dealt with a big bag of rhubarb that was taking up a lot of room in the freezer. Also a pasta sauce coming out to defrost today. I concede that DNMS has won the Freezer-Empty Off though. The Grimsby Fish Man is delivering my order tomorrow afternoon, so at least one of my clear freezer drawers if not two will be instantly re-filled with fresh fish for the next 10 weeks or so, but at least I should now have space for my Christmas baking, as I'm starting it tomorrow morning.
    OK, time for piano practice.
    Love to all, & nice to see some new people....not that I'm fed up with the old ones. We are a friendly supportive group & not too proud to laugh at ourselves when we do something daft.
    Good to hear the cards are selling FVD........the most difficult occasion I have ever needed to find a card for, was a card to congratulate someone I knew who had finally decided to transition from female to male. In the end, I just found a nice card which said 'Congratulations' & wrote a little message of support it in. I think I tend to buy blank cards more than any other kind. Love your llamas! Cats as a theme would good seller.s, I'm sure, I used to love the ones by 'The Far Side', esp the cartoon showing 'What you tell cats & what they hear'.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure