loan wanted while unemployed

Options
wazza
wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
early this year i was made unemployed. i managed to transfer my loan to a new credit card with 0% intrest rate. that period is due to end soon. i have around £3500 outstanding.

can i get a loan to pay off the credit card while unemployed. i know CC interest rates are higher than the banks. or am i better off ringing my existing CC companies to see which can offer me a better deal. I have around 9 CC which i kept for this situation. My credit rating is very good.

i am not interested in loan sharks which asks for mega high interest rate and your unborn child.

other option is to borrow from family and pay the interest
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Comments

• Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very very unlikely.

You might be better off about talking to citizens advice about your situation and getting them to work with the lender to suspend interest and agree a repayment plan. Won't do your credit rating any good though.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks but i have no problem paying the loan it is just that if i can get lower interest then i will go for it
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • johannamse
    Options
    Hey wazza,

I would ring the other credit crards up, I dont know the last time you did this, but they are really good at making you offers. They will just say, "How much do you want to balance transfer?", then their computer will give a % rate, for life of balance or 12m or 6m etc etc. I would ring them all. I imagine you will get at least a 6-7% offer for a few months, which is similar to high street loan rates. You can then start playing them against each other, "well, mbna could offer me x, could you match/better that." Oh, make sure you ask about any balance transfer fees.

(If I were you I would keep that fact that you are unemeployed quiet, don't offer the information as it were)
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    A responsible lender SHOULD not lend if you are unemployed but I know of many who will if the application form is manipulated if you know what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure