Giving savings to family member to claim unemployment allowance/tax credits?

Options
I know there is a threshold of savings above which would reduce/block your claim to unemployment allowance/tax credits. Are there any rules which prevent you from transferring your savings to a trusted family member to hold in their bank account?

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    tomocat3 wrote: »
    I know there is a threshold of savings above which would reduce/block your claim to unemployment allowance/tax credits. Are there any rules which prevent you from transferring your savings to a trusted family member to hold in their bank account?

If you transfer funds to another family member in order to calim benefits, it is Deprivation of Capital. So yes, there are rules to prevent this. You will be treated as though you still have the money.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you happy to commit fraud?

https://www.gov.uk/benefit-fraud
    You commit benefit fraud by claiming benefits you!!!8217;re not entitled to on purpose. For example by:
    not reporting a change in your circumstances

providing false information
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

Do you really think you're the first person to come up with this genius idea?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

Yes.

Fraud Act 2006
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/contents

:)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options

Yes. It is against the rules to reduce your savings in order to claim Income Related benefits. It's called Deprivation of Capital. If it is moved in the way described it's actually more likely to be considered to be fraud as it has been thought out in advance.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I always worry when someone feels the need to ask whether fraud is a good idea .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    Data matching will eventually pick up the decrease in savings. Might be next week or next month or a few years time. But it will be discovered.

This is an article on HMRCs Data Matching https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/tax/11697816/What-does-the-taxman-know-about-you-your-finances-and-your-lifestyle.html

DWP and HMRC share information. Google for articles on Data matching and the people caught hiding or disposing of savings.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure