Free seminar

Hi

I received a personal invitation to a free seminar through work looked good thought I might go, after all it was free,but wanted to think about it, over the next couple of days received e-mails saying would lose free place if I didn't sign up, so at that point I thought might as well, if I cant someone else might be interested, so i signed and yes I did tick the terms and conditions box, didn't really read it because it was free .... and then

Found I couldn't go
told I would be charged £495 for non attendance unless I found a replacement
Then found out had gone against company policy signing up in the first place
Advised them of this thought that would be the end of it
Nope now have a letter from a solicitor threatening taking me to court if I don't pay in 7 days

I think I have rights under the Consumer protection Regs in that I was misled, it was 'free' except clearly it isn't, do I fight or do I pay, any thoughts/advice as to best way to proceed appreciated

Jill

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Assuming the fee for non-attendance was in the terms you didn't read, I would pay - or negotiate a smaller final payment.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

I received a personal invitation to a free seminar through work looked good thought I might go, after all it was free,but wanted to think about it, over the next couple of days received e-mails saying would lose free place if I didn't sign up, so at that point I thought might as well, if I cant someone else might be interested, so i signed and yes I did tick the terms and conditions box, didn't really read it because it was free .... and then

Found I couldn't go
    told I would be charged £495 for non attendance unless I found a replacement
    Then found out had gone against company policy signing up in the first place
    Advised them of this thought that would be the end of it
    Nope now have a letter from a solicitor threatening taking me to court if I don't pay in 7 days

I think I have rights under the Consumer protection Regs in that I was misled, it was 'free' except clearly it isn't, do I fight or do I pay, any thoughts/advice as to best way to proceed appreciated

Jill

Who on earth do you work for where you get offered to go to a free seminar but you ticked the t&c's box.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think I have rights under the Consumer protection Regs
    If it was "through work" then it's likely this is a business-to-business contract, not a consumer one.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As above. If you signed up as an employee then you don't have consumer rights and the terms you agreed to are those in force.

Have you explained the situation to your employer? Surely it's they who are liable for the £495.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another lesson in not storming ahead without reading the fine print, but there’ll be another thread on the same topic tomorrow... ��!♂️

Negotiate a smaller settlement and don’t be so tick happy next time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure