Facebook Marketplace faulty china

I bought a China set off Facebook Marketplace. I travelled to collect it, but when I arrived all of the pieces had been individually wrapped. I checked 1 and it was fine, so I accepted it and left.

Before collecting, I confirmed with the seller via message that there were no chips or cracks. When I got home and unwrapped, I saw that 1 piece had been broken in the past and glued back together, and another had cracked paint.

I contacted the seller and explained that it was not as described, they said I could have checked and I cannot change my mind, then left the conversation.

Because it is private, the Consumer Act doesn't apply I think. However, can I take this to small claims? I can't think of another way to resolve it. What can I do? They have deleted the listing, but I do have their name and address.

I am not sure the cost for small claims is worth it, but it is more the principle. If they had been honest about the amount of damage, I would not have (nor would anyone, if you look at similarly priced items) bought it, or bought it for that price.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Out of principle, you want to throw good money after bad? How much are we talking about as your loss? Courts are likely to take a dim view of trivial claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure