Appointee Query Re: ESA to UC

Hi there,

I am an appointee for my disabled son, he currently receives ESA. He is due a circumstance change soon, the type of change which would trigger a claim for UC.

I'm wondering if my DWP appointeeship will carry over from ESA to UC, or whether it gets closed down and the process needs to be started again?

Would be grateful for any advice,

Thanks,
Liz

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Jack'sMum wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am an appointee for my disabled son, he currently receives ESA. He is due a circumstance change soon, the type of change which would trigger a claim for UC.

I'm wondering if my DWP appointeeship will carry over from ESA to UC, or whether it gets closed down and the process needs to be started again?

Would be grateful for any advice,

Thanks,
    Liz
    Both ESA and UC are part of DWP so it should just automatically transfer.

May i ask what the reason is for claiming UC? Does he claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care?
  • milocat
    milocat Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi,

Hoping this helps, although as ever this is only advice and you should double check (maybe someone else will come along who is working in UC - I work with ESA back payments). Basically when you make a claim to UC it will ask "did anyone help you make the claim" and at that point you would put "appointee". I'm not aware of any other way of transferring it across at present though :]
    Laura 20.08.14 ♡ Ivy 05.07.13
    "...within me there lay an invincible summer."
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Although it's not logical, you should prepare yourself to have to go through a new appointeeship process for UC. I have heard of this happening and I have not found any information to confirm what should happen.

You best bet if a UC claim is required may be to ring the UC helpline, explain the situation and see if they can arrange a meeting to set up a new appointeeship (if required) and make the claim at the same time.

It would be very helpful if you could post back in due course to tell us your experience.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ineededaname
    Ineededaname Posts: 148 Forumite
    I believe it's checked again because the appointee needs to be confident using the internet or have support to do so, and understand this is the key responsibility, which was not required on other benefits managed by letter + phone.
  • Jack'sMum
    Jack'sMum Posts: 32 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies.

It seems as though there are some grey areas with some claimants for UC, especially disabled students! I see a rocky road ahead for me!

For Poppy: Change of circumstance is that my son (he's a blind, full time student) is moving to a new area for his uni course so I will have to claim UC rather than Housing Benefit for him.
    & yes, he does receive PIP, for which I am also his appointee so not sure if the appointeeship for that could also get cancelled.

For Milocat: Thanks for that info, I will remember to select the appointee option when I make the claim. As I am also his appointee for PIP it may 'accept' me.

For Calcotti: Yes I will give the helpline a ring and try to find out more. I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks,
    Liz.
  • poppy12345
    If he's going to be living alone or classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after him then once he moves you should claim severe disability premium for him. You would have to claim this before doing anything else. If this is claimed then he won't be able to claim UC and could stay on ESA and claim housing benefit.

The SDP rules still apply and if a person is claiming SDP they can't claim UC. Definitely worth thinking about and SDP is £65.85 per week extra on top of his ESA.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/10/made
  • Jack'sMum
    Thank you Poppy,

He receives enhanced mobility PIP but not the daily care element now as he only scored 7 points. Sorry I should have posted that originally. I believe this means the SDP situation doesn't apply to him.
  • Jack'sMum
    For Ineededaname: I understand what you mean about having to check appointee is okay with managing an online claim. Do you know 'how' the DWP do this? I'm wondering what would happen if they closed down my appointeeship when stopping ESA and starting UC, in terms of my son's PIP appointeeship. He could be left without a PIP appointee and unable/not allowed to deal with the claim himself.
  • poppy12345
    Thank you Poppy,

He receives enhanced mobility PIP but not the daily care element now as he only scored 7 points. Sorry I should have posted that originally. I believe this means the SDP situation doesn't apply to him.
    You're correct, it doesn't apply.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    For Ineededaname: I understand what you mean about having to check appointee is okay with managing an online claim. Do you know 'how' the DWP do this? I'm wondering what would happen if they closed down my appointeeship when stopping ESA and starting UC, in terms of my son's PIP appointeeship. He could be left without a PIP appointee and unable/not allowed to deal with the claim himself.

I think if UC do do a new appointees hip it will only be for UC. Please do keep us informed about how you get on because I can't find any guidance on this. Good luck!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure