Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • buyhighselllow
    • By buyhighselllow 13th May 19, 1:07 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 97Thanks
    buyhighselllow
    0 WOW
    Dollars to Euros
    • 13th May 19, 1:07 PM
    0 WOW
    Dollars to Euros 13th May 19 at 1:07 PM
    I have a surplus of dollars I no longer need and an imminent trip to Europe. What would be the best way to convert these ? Usually get my currency from Sainsburys, should I take them in and get them to exchange or would I be better changing them at the Airport on arrival in Spain ?
    Over 2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th May 19, 1:20 PM
    • 9,371 Posts
    • 9,863 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th May 19, 1:20 PM
    • 13th May 19, 1:20 PM
    Why do you want to use a shonky company that went bust years ago..?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2772168
    Last edited by pogofish; 13-05-2019 at 1:30 PM.
    • buyhighselllow
    • By buyhighselllow 13th May 19, 2:56 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    buyhighselllow
    • 13th May 19, 2:56 PM
    • 13th May 19, 2:56 PM
    I've clearly posted this on the wrong thread by mistake
    Over 2K made from bank switches and P2P incentives since 2016
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 14th May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 5,428 Posts
    • 3,894 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 14th May 19, 2:28 PM
    • 14th May 19, 2:28 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • J B
    • By J B 14th May 19, 4:38 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    J B
    • 14th May 19, 4:38 PM
    • 14th May 19, 4:38 PM
    I have a surplus of dollars I no longer need and an imminent trip to Europe. What would be the best way to convert these ? Usually get my currency from Sainsburys, should I take them in and get them to exchange or would I be better changing them at the Airport on arrival in Spain ?
    Originally posted by buyhighselllow

When we go to Paphos (Cyprus) there are many of the 'tacky tourist shops' that will exchange cash.
    Are there likely to be something similar where you are going?
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 14th May 19, 6:19 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 14th May 19, 6:19 PM
    • 14th May 19, 6:19 PM
    Changing the dollars in the UK is a bad idea as they will convert the dollars to and then the to euro (and take a profit on both conversions).

Wait until you get Spain and find a currency exchange in your resort that gives you a decent rate of exchange. Don't waste your time exchanging at the Spanish airport if you want a decent rate.

If you need some euro on arrival in Spain then to get a decent euro rate you should be using a Starling card (or a Halifax Clarity credit card).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

943Posts Today

7,632Users online

Martin's Twitter