Event security/stewarding as a second income

Options
Hi all
I am looking to take on a second job to put a few extra pennies in the pot and was thinking of working for an events company.

Have any of you ever done this on a part time/casual basis? The Velo, Birminghams 100 mile bike ride ran straight past my house today and got me thinking that all the marshals, stewards and security staff manning the road closures cant all be working full time. There must have been thousands of them. The National Exhibition Centre and all the venues that go with it is just a few miles away, again all their security and steward staff cant be full time? Surely the variations in numbers required mean there must be loads of part time casual staff.

There is some googling to be done and phone calls to be made tomorrow but any advice would be great. Would the SAI Licence be a good investment? is it even needed for that type of roll? What other avenues could I be looking at? I'm guessing there are only a few companies that look after most of the major events nationwide?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

TIA

Craig

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lots of volunteers as there is at Glastonbury Pop Festival - you have to pay £250 to £350 as a deposit at Glasto which you get back if you do your shifts ok but most places probably don't charge you to volunteer.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    Many of the stewards are volunteers. Festivals (especially weekend ones) usually have a steward volunteer one day and get a free ticket to the festival the next day.

Sporting events have a lot of volunteers who are from clubs associated with the sport.

Those that are paid are zero hour contracts and not always guaranteed.
  • L0810
    L0810 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I would suggest becoming a steward to see if you enjoy it first just type in any job search event steward.

To do event security you will need an SIA license what consists of 5 days door Supervisor training and a test at the end the course costs £170 to 250 around there and then on top of the course you will have to apply for a license which is £220 pounds now days with nmw going up your looking at event security earning £9 to £10 pound per hour and an event steward earning £8.21 to £9. You can earn more so I'm just saying about average.

I guess it's on you and what you would like to do getting a Door Supervisor license opens you upto more options but if it's just events you want to do then I would suggest just being a steward for a pound less you.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My daughter did some stewarding for EventSec while at Uni. She enjoyed the work. No SIA licence was required.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I worked as a steward for Brighton & Hove Albion for a few years. Was quite fun, fairly easy job, reasonably well-paid (read as: more than entry-level retail or being a waitress, at least), basically just 6-hour shifts every week or 2. No license required, but I did end up getting an NVQ level 2 in spectator safety as part of some enhanced training. Wasn't required though.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • shagarat
    shagarat Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    L0810 wrote: »
    I would suggest becoming a steward to see if you enjoy it first just type in any job search event steward.

To do event security you will need an SIA license what consists of 5 days door Supervisor training and a test at the end the course costs £170 to 250 around there and then on top of the course you will have to apply for a license which is £220 pounds now days with nmw going up your looking at event security earning £9 to £10 pound per hour and an event steward earning £8.21 to £9. You can earn more so I'm just saying about average.

I guess it's on you and what you would like to do getting a Door Supervisor license opens you upto more options but if it's just events you want to do then I would suggest just being a steward for a pound less you.

Thank you that sounds exactly what I was thinking. I've found that G4S are recruiting for stewards to look after the Cricket World Cup matches at Edgbaston and the T20 games that will follow so i've put an application in with them. Edgbaston is literally 20 minutes from me so that would be perfect. I'm in no rush to get an SIA licence so if there are plenty of steward jobs available ill be happy with that for a while.
  • shagarat
    Options
    julicorn wrote: »
    I worked as a steward for Brighton & Hove Albion for a few years. Was quite fun, fairly easy job, reasonably well-paid (read as: more than entry-level retail or being a waitress, at least), basically just 6-hour shifts every week or 2. No license required, but I did end up getting an NVQ level 2 in spectator safety as part of some enhanced training. Wasn't required though.
    Thanks, that's something else i'd considered. I'll find out who looks after BCFC when I get chance.
  • shagarat
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    My daughter did some stewarding for EventSec while at Uni. She enjoyed the work. No SIA licence was required.
    Im Sure EventSec are who look after Silverstone. Definitely worth a call.
    Thanks
  • shagarat
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. As i'm already working full time I think I need to cast my net wide in the hope that ill get offered work when I actually want and can do it. Ive only got one application in so far though so i need ton get a wriggle on.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shagarat wrote: »
    Thank you that sounds exactly what I was thinking. I've found that G4S are recruiting for stewards to look after the Cricket World Cup matches at Edgbaston and the T20 games that will follow so i've put an application in with them. Edgbaston is literally 20 minutes from me so that would be perfect. I'm in no rush to get an SIA licence so if there are plenty of steward jobs available ill be happy with that for a while.

England v India is at Edgbaston...the two pre tournament fave, should be a decent game.

I suspect it'll be harder work then you think - cricket seems a genial sport but spectators tend to gorge themselves on alcohol all day and so I imagine sections can become quite a challenge. Edgbaston has something of a reputation for it, more so then any other English ground. Of course not all areas of the ground are like the Hollies mind! There will probably be extra searches etc on the way in due to it being the WC, which is likely to be great fun (I am off to England v Bangladesh at Cardiff, myself)
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport