PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Littlebigfoots
    Littlebigfoots Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2019 at 8:29PM
    I was at £0.23/£20 today I splurged a bit.

Lidl Soya Milk £0.59 - Used to make a batch of tofu. (Tried to get discount on a heavily bashed carton but they said they will send back for a refund so no deal there).

1kg Parsnips reduced at £0.28p
    1 Swede reduced at £0.20
    Total = £1.07

I love parsnips just sliced into 4 lengthways, spray with some FryLight spray and sprinkle salt and pepper.

The swede I'm going to slice into four or five medallions and marinade in some sort of home made sauce (not sure what yet) then bake and have as burgers on separate meals reduced bun rolls I have in the freezer.

£1.30/£20.00
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 789
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Another NSD here for me. I meant to get out today but didn’t. I finished calls, went to have a snack in the kitchen and then used the bathroom only to discover the toilet didn’t flush. We’ve been having hot water issues in our building the last two days so I called the management company. The admin said the plumber was in the building fixing the hot water and had shut off the water; it would be back on a few minutes.

Couple minutes later, I turned on the kitchen faucet out of habit and discovered the water running again. I trundled over to the bathroom and flushed the toilet, shut of the light and walked away...and then I heard a weird sound and switched the light back on. My toilet’s pipe burst and was gushing water onto the floor!

All in all, everything was thankfully fixed by our building’s super, but no, I did not go out today. Whew, what a palaver! I think I need a nap now. I’m going to cook a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner in a bit as OH is out visiting with a friend before he leaves NYC.

TOTALS SO FAR
    $0 / $450.00
    2 / 12 NSD
  • Ninjaqueen
    Ninjaqueen Posts: 23
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi all I would love to join in this month as I’m trying to bring my very limited shopping budget down. So got a family of 6 (2 adults, 3 older kids and 1 baby) £340 hoping to stick to this amount but if I can get it cheaper then even better lol. Would normally be less for an average month but I’m taking into account the kids being off school at the end of the month so I use what they would have spent on dinner money to buy stuff for them to eat in the holidays. Any tips are greatly appreciated. My total is a complete guess.
  • Welcome ninjaqueen
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    £64.21 In Morries on nothing urgent.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • I hope there wasn't any serious damage?

I lived on floor 3 in an apartment once and we had someone doing works on the buildings water too. It had been turned off for everyone, but no-one was warned.

My house mate plugged in the plug to the bath and turned the tap on. He wondered why there was no water but didn't think owt of it. Went to bedroom, saw tap still wasn't working. Then just went work..... he hadn't turned the tap off.

Water flowed eventually and overflowed and flooded through to the floors underneath and into the pharmacy on the bottom floor.

I remember coming home and seeing a sign on the pharmacy door saying "sorry we are closed due to unforeseen circumstances".

Ooope.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Another NSD here for me. I meant to get out today but didn’t. I finished calls, went to have a snack in the kitchen and then used the bathroom only to discover the toilet didn’t flush. We’ve been having hot water issues in our building the last two days so I called the management company. The admin said the plumber was in the building fixing the hot water and had shut off the water; it would be back on a few minutes.

Couple minutes later, I turned on the kitchen faucet out of habit and discovered the water running again. I trundled over to the bathroom and flushed the toilet, shut of the light and walked away...and then I heard a weird sound and switched the light back on. My toilet’s pipe burst and was gushing water onto the floor!

All in all, everything was thankfully fixed by our building’s super, but no, I did not go out today. Whew, what a palaver! I think I need a nap now. I’m going to cook a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner in a bit as OH is out visiting with a friend before he leaves NYC.

TOTALS SO FAR
    $0 / $450.00
    2 / 12 NSD

Oh my - I hope not too much damage!

BTW you can call him DH now, instead of OH! :rotfl::j
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Ninjaqueen
    Ninjaqueen Posts: 23
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Spent 79.56 in food warehouse today. Mainly to fill up fridge and freezer after having to use up nearly everything at end of last month.

5kg of chicken breasts for £20 if that’s any interest to anyone.

£340 - £79.56 = £260.44 remaining
  • Littlebigfoots
    Littlebigfoots Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2019 at 4:29PM
    £2.30/£20

£0.60 - Bag self raising flour for pancakes, scones and oats biscuits
    £0.60 - Bag plain flour for pizza, bread, flat breads
    £0.30 x 2 cans mushy peas

Gotta have a few no spend days now I think lol. :rotfl:
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So, I did my first May shop today and spent exactly £40 (thanks to the 2p the cashier chucked in so I didn't have to change a £20).
    Not planned any meals yet, which makes me a little uneasy, but I have loads of stores and made sure I bought stuff I know we either needed or will be able to use.

£40/£320 to date for me.

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure