Bank Account closure

I know that the last thing a bank wants to advertise when you log on to a site is how to close accounts but I have been trying to do just that with several old accounts on different bank sites and to say it is difficult is an under statement. I think we need some sort of action to ensure that closing accounts is given a reasonably prominent link off the main home page of all banking sites, What do others think?

Mal

Comments

• No problem here.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Malg wrote: »
    I know that the last thing a bank wants to advertise when you log on to a site is how to close accounts but I have been trying to do just that with several old accounts on different bank sites and to say it is difficult is an under statement. I think we need some sort of action to ensure that closing accounts is given a reasonably prominent link off the main home page of all banking sites, What do others think?

Mal

I used an old school method of writing a letter in an envelope with a stamp, sent it on its merry way and it worked, was a piece of cake/ a cinch.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    It's the same with credit cards too, and many service providers.

Finding information on account closure via their websites is usually been made intentionally hard with the links often leading you round in circles.

Most of the time I let the google bots who have already trawled the site do the work for me and typing "XYZ company, close account" directly into google usually results in a direct link to the page on their website which contains the information you need.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • tryin
    tryin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why don't you call the bank? Will they not close it on the phone, or the very least tell you how to do it online?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Try a secure message, or social media to ascertain how to close an account.

They are usually helpful...even if they say, sorry that's available in branch only!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Try a secure message, or social media to ascertain how to close an account.

They are usually helpful...even if they say, sorry that's available in branch only!!

Or this as opposed to my suggestion of a letter.
  • george9071
    george9071 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    DCFC79 said:
    Malg wrote: »

Mal

I used an old school method of writing a letter in an envelope with a stamp, sent it on its merry way and it worked, was a piece of cake/ a cinch.
    I have to agree with DCFC79 i have always closed my accounts using pen and paper, so much simpler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure