2019 Savings

onashoestring
onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 23 January 2019 at 10:16AM in How much have you saved?
These are the savings I’ve made so far this year by following MSE tips :

Free cinema ticket with Meerkat Movies Saving £6:90

British Airways Sale Saving £601 ( that’s £86 off a city break & £ 515 off a week’s AI ) Also saved my parents £670 off their AI holiday - but won’t include that in my total.

Two Together Railcard purchased with £10 Tesco Club arc Vouchers Saving £30

2 journeys with the Two Together Railcard Saving £20:70

2 Odeon cinema tickets for £7 Vodaphone rewards app Saving £9:50

£10 off £20 voucher at Toby carvery Saving £10

Used Groupon to get an Anniversary present Saving £ 31:35 - should be getting some cash back from Top Cash Back on this too.

Home Insurance (1) didn’t auto renew (2) Used Comparison Sites to get quotes (3) Did this Three weeks before - I usually leave it until the last minute. Saving on my previous insurers Quote £ 48.76should be getting £24:50 cash back on this too, will include in my total when received.

Total Savings so far : £758.21

Comments

• Well done onashoestring that's fantastic savings so far ! I look forward to seeing the total for the year.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Good luck onashoestring with your savings for this year. You appear to be doing a fantastic job so far. Please keep us updated on your progress
    Must save to live, not just live to save!!! :think:
    Challenge Save 12k in 2019 #141 £6,143.34/£6k
    Deposit £82,317.88/£120K :jFees/ect £12K/£12K:jEmergency fund £1K/£1K
    :A
    :A'Saving again after parting with a lot of money enjoying life:rotfl::A
  • webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Good stuff, keep the savings going.
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Marvellous savings. Gosh! Well done. It is so motivating to hear that people are able to get bargains!
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • I’ve finished off the month with some more savings on train tickets £8:50 saved with our Two Together Railcard.
    We walked 15 mins from London mainline station the instead of taking the tube that saved us an additional £5:70

My friend told me about the “Too good to go “ App ; which enables you to purchase a bag of surplus food from a restaurant/ bakery for a discounted price. This is food that would otherwise be thrown away.

I tried it for the first time yesterday . You don’t know exactly what you will get in your “magic bag”

I was very pleased with what I got from Paul Bakery for £3:59 I got a cheese and ham panini , a Salade Niçoise and a Tartelette Fraise . These would have sold for £ 12:90 Saved £9:31
    Was delicious & felt good to make a contribution to end food waste.

Total Jan Savings £781.72
  • Wow, those are some pretty incredible savings so far - your savings will be looking very healthy in no time at all!! Out of interest/nosiness, what are you saving for?
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • I have started the month by changing my energy supplier ,
    I was with OutFox the Market but only for 3 months as they changed their prices 4 times in that period.

I’m now on a fixed tariff with Octopus which will save me £38.75 over the next 12 months.
    I should be getting cash back too as I did the switch through Uswitch.
    ( I will include that in my total when I actually receive it )

I bought gift subscriptions for my sister, Mum & a friend from Hearstmagazines.co.uk

Good Housekeeping 5 issues for £5 ( Saving £18:75 ) for my Mum whose just had an op & needs to put her feet up.

Country Living 5 issues for £5 ( Saving £18:75 ) for my sister.

House Beautiful 5 issues for £5 ( Saving £17:50 ) for my friend who is having a hard time.

I should be getting £4:20 cash back on each of these as I clicked through from Topcashback.

For myself I got the BBC Gardeners' World Magazine Subscription £ 5 for 5 issues from buysubscriptions.com

( Saving £21:25 )
    The main reason I got this is because with the May Issue you will get the an annual2-for-1 entry card giving you entry to 424 gardens.

We plan to go to Kew Gardens & Wakehurst this year
    Kew Gardens ( Saving £17 )
    Wakehurst ( Saving £12.95 )

As the card is reusable from May 2019 - April 2020 we may save a lot more.

Full list of gardens here : https://www.gardenersworld.com/2-for-1-gardens/

Feb Savings so far £115 ( will hopefully have some cash back soon to add to the total )
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well done and they are really nice presents to give too. :j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • I had been putting off a complaint to my mobile provider about an overcharge on my December bill, as I find this sort of “confrontation “ very stressful. however when there was another unexpected high charge on my Feb bill too; I decided I couldn’t put it off any longer.

I communicated via live chat which I find less stressful, the adviser was very helpful & I got a refund for the overcharge. It’s only £6 but feeling quite chuffed that I got it sorted & they offered to put a £0 cap to my mobile account so I won’t get an unexpected bills in future, only my regular monthly bill which is £6 .
  • Wow!! That's amazing. Even I will try to save money from now on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure