Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 3:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 18
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 22nd May 19, 11:10 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi all

Having been unceremoniously dumped by Saga, I am now looking for a replacement travel card.

I plumped for the Barclaycard, but that proved to be useless because they need to see a regular income. I am retired and I just draw drown from my ISAs and SIPP on an irregular basis, and despite assets in six figures, that's not good enough for them, so that was that.

But I don't want to be making too many card applications ... so does anybody have any suggestions who to try next?

Cheers
    Originally posted by funkyronster
    Really? Not so sure about that.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 22nd May 19, 12:51 PM
    • 15,966 Posts
    • 22,333 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Hi all

Having been unceremoniously dumped by Saga, I am now looking for a replacement travel card.

I plumped for the Barclaycard, but that proved to be useless because they need to see a regular income. I am retired and I just draw drown from my ISAs and SIPP on an irregular basis, and despite assets in six figures, that's not good enough for them, so that was that.

But I don't want to be making too many card applications ... so does anybody have any suggestions who to try next?

Cheers
    Originally posted by funkyronster
    They turned me down too because i already have two other Barclaycards.

You shouldn't have a problem opening an account with the Starling Bank. No credit from them though.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • Shugg McGlummfer
    • By Shugg McGlummfer 23rd May 19, 11:29 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shugg McGlummfer
    Travel Credit Cards
    I'm also retired thus have the same problem re declared income. Halifax Clarity for credit abroad and Metro Bank for debit transactions in Europe.

You need to to a Metro Bank branch to open an account and they're all in London. I live in Edinburgh and did it on a visit.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I'm also retired thus have the same problem re declared income. Halifax Clarity for credit abroad and Metro Bank for debit transactions in Europe.

You need to to a Metro Bank branch to open an account and they're all in London. I live in Edinburgh and did it on a visit.
    Originally posted by Shugg McGlummfer
    Nope they are not and you can apply online.
    https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/store-locator/
    https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/bank-accounts/products/current-account/
    But https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ is better as there are no forex fees worldwide.
    Halifax Clarity is a good option for a credit card.
    • Shugg McGlummfer
    • By Shugg McGlummfer 24th May 19, 11:27 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shugg McGlummfer
    Thanks for that re Metro. Couldn't apply online when I opened an account and they were all in London then.
    • Ashie
    • By Ashie 7th Jun 19, 1:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ashie
    Credit card used as pre-paid card
    Hi All, for the last few years, before going on holiday, I load cash onto my Halifax Clarity credit card so that it is actually in credit. We normally stay away for at least a month, so I start with £1000. When I think I am getting near to running out, I top it up again. This way the card is essentially a pre-paid card without the fees. In some places we travel to internet access can be patchy, so it means I don't have to worry about paying interest. Does anyone else do this?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jun 19, 2:30 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,803 Thanks
    eDicky
    Does anyone else do this?
    Originally posted by Ashie
    Some do, and get away with it; others prefer not to risk having their card blocked or account terminated by violating the Halifax T&Cs, having no S75 protection and other benefits while using the card with their own money instead of the lender's, and other drawbacks to 'preloading'.

Does it mean that you only use the card for withdrawals and never for payment?
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 8th Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    • 5,192 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Hi All, for the last few years, before going on holiday, I load cash onto my Halifax Clarity credit card so that it is actually in credit. We normally stay away for at least a month, so I start with £1000. When I think I am getting near to running out, I top it up again. This way the card is essentially a pre-paid card without the fees. In some places we travel to internet access can be patchy, so it means I don't have to worry about paying interest. Does anyone else do this?
    Originally posted by Ashie
    For the minimal amount that Halifax charge in interest (about 3p per £100 per day for cash), pre-loading the Clarity card isn't worth the risk. How easy would it be to access those preloaded funds if the card was lost/stolen/blocked?

If you really want to avoid interest payments then I would use something like Starling for cash withdrawals.
    • bognor
    • By bognor 9th Jun 19, 5:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bognor
    Hi,

I have a Halifax Clarity Card and flying out to Turkey soon. I know about always choosing to pay in local currency etc but the hotel we are staying at have their prices in Euros. Should I still opt to pay in Turkish Lira?

Thanks
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 9th Jun 19, 6:41 PM
    • 14,185 Posts
    • 12,315 Thanks
    zagfles
    Hi,

I have a Halifax Clarity Card and flying out to Turkey soon. I know about always choosing to pay in local currency etc but the hotel we are staying at have their prices in Euros. Should I still opt to pay in Turkish Lira?

Thanks
    Originally posted by bognor
    You'll likely find they advertise their prices in EUR and you are contracted in EUR, but they'll probably convert to TRY when you come to pay - hotels in countries with a minor currency frequently do that - particularly if their currency suffers high inflation or is volatile. Or maybe just to quote a currency people are familiar with. Happened to me loads of times.

It's a right PITA as you don't know the amount you'll be paying in the currency you'll be paying in. IME the conversion from EUR has always been done at a good rate, I don't think they do it to benefit from the conversion.

Still watch out for DCC though, they'll probably convert to TRY then offer the option of DCC in GBP! Pay in TRY! Or in EUR at the rate you're contracted for if they let you!
    • bognor
    • By bognor 10th Jun 19, 8:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bognor
    Halifax Clarity Paying in Local Currency
    Hi,

Many thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Regards,

Bognor
    Last edited by bognor; 10-06-2019 at 8:17 AM. Reason: spelling error
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,246Posts Today

7,206Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin