Add your feedback on energy supplier Shell Energy (formerly First Utility)

Comments

• jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    Yes. I moved in the autumn. I got regular updates by email and letter during the change. The switch happened on the date they said it would.
    • Have you had problems since?
    I had a problem setting up my mobile phone for submitting meter readings and one of my bills had the wrong date. I contacted them, via their web site, and the problems were fixed.
    • Is it easy to contact?
    I can submit meter readings by mobile phone SMS or on-line on their web site. If I've had a problem I always contact them via the contact form on their web site - they have always got back to me within a few days.
  • I just thought I would add my twopence worth - I joined this company about 2 years ago because they were offering a free Smart meter. Despite living in a major city (Bradford), I waited four months for my installation date and then was finally told that there were no installers in my area and so it wouldn't be happening. They never responded to my queries, until eventually I was told that nobody had been checking the customer services email address for weeks and they were working through the backlog(!). Eventually I moved out and used another supplier at the new address, they ended up owing me about 50 quid as I was in credit, they kept sending threatening letters saying unless I paid them minus fifty pounds they would take me to court, but they wouldn't respond to my requests to pay me what they owed! Terrible experience, wouldn't recommend just from the amount of hassle dealing with them.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Was thinking of changing suppliers to them when my fixed rate Scottish Power deal expires in June - but in light of reports - won't....
  • I've been with them for a good three years or so.
    Customer services seem easier to contact now than when I first joined.
    They have twice sent me a letter stating a price rise is imminent, but after speaking to them on the phone other tariffs have been 'found'.
    They're still cheapest, or if not the absolute cheapest there's minimal difference between them and the competition.
    No smart meter here, just monthly email requests for meter readings - which I do do monthly. As requested.
    I would imagine ignoring the readings requests and allowing them to estimate usage could lead to problems at the end of a bad winter :)
  • malamay
    malamay Posts: 793 Forumite
    I moved into a new build property in March 2010. It was fitted with a smart meter, and supplied by First Utility.

Things were ok for 10 months, then they stopped charging me for electricity. I queried this, and overpaid my bill. They did nothing. Two years later, they didn't send me a bill, and collected £300 from my bank account without warning 2 days before I was paid, putting me overdrawn. In three years, this is the only bill I did not receive.

I started complaining every week, and finally they started charging me for electricity again. But, not my usage. They started charging me for the meter next door, which was being paid by our neighbours to NPower.

It took a further 8 months to get the charges correct. They then presented me with a bill for £2400. It took me three months to get this corrected, and I paid the £130 balance yesterday. I have my fingers crossed my next bill will be for one months' usage (March 2013), then I am done with them!

It is rather worrying it has taken them 22 months to sort out a fairly simple problem. They have caused me a lot of worry and upset along the way, and I have spent approximately 50 hours on the phone with them during this ordeal!!
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • Had a tariff with First Utility that said fixed till Dec 13 but they have just told me that they are moving me to a new tariff from June which increases my electricity b y 52 % yes 52 % would you believe it. I think comparison is called for
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    • Did you switch go smoothly? Very much so, very straight forward. Getting the money owed me from npower was less straight forward
    • Have you had problems since? No, get a mail asking for my reading each month, follow up bill within a week, direct debit taken. Everything is kept up to date, no running debts or credits.
    • Is it easy to contact? Not been necessary.
  • WEDAFT
    WEDAFT Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi joined First utility in November 2012 on a fixed monthly direct debit. They have yet to take a direct debit payment, I phoned them up every month to tell them that the money had not gone and was told they would sort it. I also sent a meter reading in every month and they have never acknowledged one of them. Then in early April I got a bill for £659.00 (up to this point my direct debits would only have been £495.00. I made a complaint. I then received another bill for £179.00 and then a letter saying that they were unable to take my direct debit payment for MAY I received this letter on the 25th April ha ha the letter also said they were taking this £99.00 direct debit the following day!!! I have just got off the phone the £99.00 has been sent back to my bank account and they have wavered the account cancelation fee oh and offered me a whopping £30.00 as a good will gesture which I have turned down because I will be taking this further. Please avoid this ramshackle of a "company"
  • Very Disappointed!!
    Joined in November 2012 appliying for fixed term ending 31/3/13 but they put us on a variable. Didnt realise until we received notice of price hike on the way.
    They do not reply to emails.
    Completed the energy club calculator and used our actual winter monthly usage and that estimates a dual fuel of £50 a month. We are charged double that and they want to increase our payments.
  • Having been with First Utility since December 2012 it has been a nightmare! constantly having to ring them, took 4 months to receive my first bill by email, I rang to make payments in the meantime as were unable to set up direct debit, told this was due to a new computer system?? but when bill did arrive I have ended up £800 in arrears even though I was paying the monthly amount I previously paid to e-on???

Will be switching back as soon as arrears cleared, think this is how they get you, your unable to switch until account cleared!! BEWARE....you cant say you weren't warned!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback