Eating in Edinburgh

Comments

• I'm assuming 10 minutes walk from the Grassmarket area :)
  • Hi Angua2 and Edinburghlass. Sorry it is 10 mins walk from the Apex International. If its wet and windy and I'm in heels then thats as far as I can totter but of course a taxi will be an option too. Many thanks for the suggestions and will check them all out. We have had a few good deals in Glasgow from 5pm.com and in London from Toptable so good to know I can try them for Edinburgh too. Once again many thanks for your suggestions.
    :)
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for the replies re my queries, much appreciated. Edilass, I called the Witchery tours folk and the tour starts for 9pm on Thursday. Here's hoping youngest son lasts out for it. Eldest would stay up til midnight every night if I let him. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Really looking forward to the wee jaunt, haven't been to Edinburgh for AGES.

Thank you all...:T
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The LIST Glasgow and Edinburgh Events Guide regularly publishes

The Edinburgh & Glasgow Eating & Drinking Guide with reviews of a huge range of eateries etc in both cities. I have used the book to chose restaurants on several occasions in both cities.

I can recommend in Glasgow:

The Ubiquitos Chip, 78 St Vincent and Rogano for fancy special occasions
    Ho Wong for excellent Chinese food

In Edinburgh:

Namaste for delicious Indian cuisine
    The Elephant House an excellent cafe.
  • Smiley_Mum
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I can recommend Mother India Restaurant in Westminster Terrace in Glasgow. The only thing there is another Mother India in Argyle Street and I think that is the one that is highly recommended in all the guides. Both of them had long lines outside of them when we went (to the Westminister Terrace one) and it was very good and very, very, busy.

The one we went to...

http://wcities.com/en/record/24,13210/54/record.html

There was another Mother India, at the opposite end of Sauchiehall Street, very long line outside also. Budget prices, they don't allow booking so you have to line up outside but all the reviews I've read are very good.

Mother India's Cafe, 1355 Argyle Street, G3 8AD, tel: 01413399145

http://www.myglasgow.org/glasgow/restaurants-reviews-mother_indias_cafe.htm
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Smiley_Mum wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies re my queries, much appreciated. Edilass, I called the Witchery tours folk and the tour starts for 9pm on Thursday. Here's hoping youngest son lasts out for it. Eldest would stay up til midnight every night if I let him. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Really looking forward to the wee jaunt, haven't been to Edinburgh for AGES.

Thank you all...:T

One small tip, each person on the tour gets a book about the tour, can't remember what its called but if you phone them up and ask nicely they will give you a different book for at least one of your party.

I would have met you but I'll be in Bruges travelling on the Rosyth to Zeebruger ferry :)
  • If you think the little one won't last until 9.00 pm there is always the Mary King's Close tour which goes on all day but I think they would have more fun on the Witchery Ghost Tour.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

There are links to all of these on the What to do in Edinburgh thread as well.
  • Smiley_Mum
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Edi'lass,

Thanks very much for all the information, there is just sooooo much to see, we are spoiled for choice. Sorry I won't be seeing you, enjoy your trip to Bruges, hope you get nice weather.

I've no doubt we'll be back down at some point. My birthday is a little after Christmas so may make it down for the sales, etc. Still got to make a plan etc of what we're doing, just got a pad of rough notes so far.

Thanks for the info about the tour too. I'm away to study form on all this and put a plan together. Thanks very much everyone for all your tips/info etc. :T I dunno, what'd do without MSE. :confused:
  • scottishf
    scottishf Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Taking the kids into edinburgh tommorrow, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a kids friendly, reasonably priced restaraunt :)
  • Smiley_Mum wrote: »
    Hi Edi'lass,

Thanks very much for all the information, there is just sooooo much to see, we are spoiled for choice. Sorry I won't be seeing you, enjoy your trip to Bruges, hope you get nice weather.

I've no doubt we'll be back down at some point. My birthday is a little after Christmas so may make it down for the sales, etc. Still got to make a plan etc of what we're doing, just got a pad of rough notes so far.

Thanks for the info about the tour too. I'm away to study form on all this and put a plan together. Thanks very much everyone for all your tips/info etc. :T I dunno, what'd do without MSE. :confused:

Do we get a report about how much you enjoyed your visit :)

Sorry scottishf, I just noticed your post hope you found somewhere nice to eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure