Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 12:31 PM
    • 1,236Posts
    • 3,568Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 12:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 12:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 6:30 PM.
Page 42
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 12th Apr 19, 12:18 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    jago25_98
    Related:

Please all be aware the the International Driving License Permit now has to be made in person at a Post Office so you may need to fly back to the UK to renew. It also now only lasts a year and not 2.

This beaurocratic change doesn't hit me too hard personally but it makes me angry as I feel for the people it will impact.
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Apr 19, 12:32 PM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Related:

Please all be aware the the International Driving License Permit now has to be made in person at a Post Office so you may need to fly back to the UK to renew. It also now only lasts a year and not 2.

This beaurocratic change doesn't hit me too hard personally but it makes me angry as I feel for the people it will impact.
    Originally posted by jago25_98

Your post makes no sense at all. IDP has had a 12 month validity for as long as I've be applying for them. That's at least three years.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 14th Apr 19, 1:42 PM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    fifeken

Originally posted by jago25_98
    Been like that since 1st February this year.

If you're abroad that long that returning to the UK is an issue you should probably be getting a local license for wherever you are.

Post Office website still indicates validity can be up to 3 years but is dependant on the type required for your destination. See FAQs here:
    https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit
    • brendanm
    • By brendanm 17th Apr 19, 1:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    brendanm
    Hi there
    We will be flying into Munich and touring around for the first week of July and need to hire a car to seat 2 adults, 2 teenagers, and luggage comfortably.
    Can someone please recommend a decent, trustworthy car hire firm for pickup and return at Munich Airport.
    Cheers
    • Adelandgemma
    • By Adelandgemma 14th May 19, 4:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Adelandgemma
    I'm flying with my mum from Tenerife to Manchester for a wedding in June but during the week have a lot of visiting to do so a hire car should be easier.

My mum now drives on a Spanish license so isnt comfortable driving on UK roads so wants me to drive but I dont have a credit card. We cant find any companies that will allow me as main driver with the payment in my mums name even though we will be together.

Next problem, they're all wanting about 10 a day for me as an additional driver bumping the price up quite a bit by the end of the week. I have found one company 'Dollar' who offer one free additional driver at the price of 200 for the week with a 750 credit card deposit.

So 2 questions, firstly does anyone have any experience of Dollar in the UK? Reviews seem pretty good but I've never heard of them. Secondly are there any tips for bringing the car hire pricing down at all? Thanks in advance!
    • edwhow
    • By edwhow 23rd May 19, 10:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    edwhow
    Cheap Car Hire
    In December I went on a UK comparison site and got a price for car rental for Cape Town. I would have had to pay up front. The car was from Bidvest, so I went on their ZA site and got a quotation, booking, pay at the end of the hire, half the price. You can even get a big discount if over a certain age. No hassles with pickup or return.

Now I want to know, how on earth do you get 3/day in Europe (Money Tips, 21/05/19), I've never seen anything like that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,171Posts Today

8,535Users online

Martin's Twitter