Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 144
    • jid134
    • By jid134 15th Apr 19, 9:34 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    jid134
    Hey guys,

Best place in the UK to get Turkish lira, or best to get it in Turkey?

I go away in may seen Tesco do the best rate at 7.36 something around that
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Apr 19, 11:27 AM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    eDicky
    Rates for cash are probably better in Turkey. But even better will be using a suitable fee free card for payment or withdrawals there, such as Starling Bank, see the MSE articles for advice.
    • Funseeker
    • By Funseeker 16th May 19, 12:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Funseeker
    Thomas Exchange vs Thomas Exchange Global
    I tend to use Thomas Exchange in Bishopsgate for currency as service is fast and rates if you order online are good. I asked a friend to do the order for me this time as she was passing it, and she ended up with Thomas Exchange Global where rates for euro cash are not so good. It's confusing to have 2 companies with such similar names.
    • rricaresad33
    • By rricaresad33 2nd Jul 19, 2:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rricaresad33
    save money on flight tickets
    I recently found out that by using vpn when buying flight tickets you can save some money. I didn't try it myself but my friend has nordvpn and he tried to buy flight tickets from the country server where he's going and he said that the prices were actually lower.
    • LolNeedsDosh
    • By LolNeedsDosh 6th Jul 19, 6:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LolNeedsDosh
    Hello all,

Still navigating my way around the forum but struggling to find some definitive answers (or as close to definitive as I can find) please forgive me if I'm posting this on the wrong thread..

I'm travelling to Turkey with my young daughter, we have an overnight stay in Rome on route. I'm trying to keep a relatively strict budget and would obviously like to get the best out of my money..
    We have accommodation in Turkey, as we're staying with a friend and I've arranged a cheap B&B plus airport transfer in Rome..

We'll be exploring the local area with a native, so with the exception of my contribution towards dining and the odd visit to places, I'm expecting my costs to be fairly low.. My intention is to take and use my Monzo card for any transactions and my Nationwide Flex plus card for withdrawals, as this seems to be the best way to avoid charges. I was going to take just a few euros for Rome as we won't be there long, so only really need it to pay for the airport transfer. But otherwise I assumed avoiding exchanging money was the cheaper option?? Can anyone please advise?
    I should also point out my credit is not great so I doubt I'd be eligible for the Halifax card I have seen mentioned.

TIA
    • Longstrider
    • By Longstrider 7th Aug 19, 5:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Longstrider
    Hi

I will be travelling to Turkey soon. I have a Tandem credit card, but wanted to know if I should take UK currency with me and change in Turkey or use the Tandem card to withdraw cash in Turkey.
    • Spinball
    • By Spinball 7th Aug 19, 7:58 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Spinball
    Is the post office travel money card any good?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Aug 19, 8:28 PM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    eDicky
    Is the post office travel money card any good?
    Originally posted by Spinball
    NO. Definitely not, it's a con, cheaper to use your bank card.. See:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76088452#post76088452
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Aug 19, 9:04 PM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    eDicky
    I was going to take just a few euros for Rome as we won't be there long, so only really need it to pay for the airport transfer. But otherwise I assumed avoiding exchanging money was the cheaper option?? Can anyone please advise?
    Originally posted by LolNeedsDosh
    Your assumption is correct in general. Just use your cards and take a few cash pounds as backup.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Aug 19, 9:06 PM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    eDicky
    I will be travelling to Turkey soon. I have a Tandem credit card, but wanted to know if I should take UK currency with me and change in Turkey or use the Tandem card to withdraw cash in Turkey.
    Originally posted by Longstrider
    Just use your cards and take a few cash pounds as backup.
    • theglobetrottergp
    • By theglobetrottergp 8th Aug 19, 4:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    theglobetrottergp
    I love my easy FX currency card, Its awesome
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 8th Aug 19, 4:40 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    murphydavid
    I love my easy FX currency card, Its awesome
    Originally posted by theglobetrottergp
    Why?
    What part of using it is easier than MSE's recommended cards for spending overseas?
    Their card costs page was not easy reading for me I'm afraid.
    • cherokee
    • By cherokee 15th Sep 19, 7:42 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    cherokee
    Budapest Florint
    Hi

Travelling to Budapest for 4 days, thought it was euro, duh, but now know its the Florint. Best way to spend money out there? I have seen a couple of suggestions to buy currency out there, but am struggling to see how this would work. Anyone been recently and could make any suggestions?

thanks
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 15th Sep 19, 10:33 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    TheShape
    Hi

Travelling to Budapest for 4 days, thought it was euro, duh, but now know its the Florint. Best way to spend money out there? I have seen a couple of suggestions to buy currency out there, but am struggling to see how this would work. Anyone been recently and could make any suggestions?

thanks
    Originally posted by cherokee
    Went June 2018. Used a fee free credit card for much of the spending and fee-free debit card for withdrawals from cash machines for the rest. Probably about 50:50 spend credit card:cash. Probably could have put far more on a card than cash as cards were widely accepted.

Edit: Hungarian Forint!
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th Sep 19, 11:27 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi

thanks
    Originally posted by cherokee
    Pop into your closest Metro bank and pick up a debit card on the spot; https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/store-locator/

*Where can I use my card for free in Europe?

When we refer to Europe we regard the countries which are part of the Single European Payments Area (SEPA).

19 EU Euro countries - Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain
    8 EU non-Euro countries - Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden
    2 non-EU, Euro countries Monaco, San Marino
    4 non-EU, non-Euro countries - Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 16th Sep 19, 10:31 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Went June 2018. Used a fee free credit card for much of the spending and fee-free debit card for withdrawals from cash machines for the rest. Probably about 50:50 spend credit card:cash. Probably could have put far more on a card than cash as cards were widely accepted.

Edit: Hungarian Forint!
    Originally posted by TheShape
    Think its OK to name things here. Which fee free debit card? Don't see martins article mentioning debit cards only credit cards.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 16th Sep 19, 12:33 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    TheShape
    The debit card we use is a Santander Zero debit card. It's not available to new customers though. It's a legacy account that my partner holds.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 16th Sep 19, 1:06 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    harz99
    The debit card we use is a Santander Zero debit card. It's not available to new customers though. It's a legacy account that my partner holds.
    Originally posted by TheShape
    Same here, and I also carry a Starling Bank debit card preloading the account before I go.
    • RobKett
    • By RobKett 20th Sep 19, 3:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobKett
    Hi all, this question has probably been asked loads but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. We are going to be travelling across France for 6 months and want to be able to get cash out but also get some stability re exchange rates for our budget. Looking at cards like the Transferwise FX, it's great for real globetrotters but it only lets you take out 200 per month from cash machines - but this is probably what we will mostly want to do, and we'll need more than 200/m. Not keen on credit cards because we'll be out in the wilds quite a lot and managing money online will be tricky (I'm not a lover of mobiles, mine is a bit of an antique and not modern-app-friendly).

Really I want a card that lets us change a whack of money into euros when we're ready to do that and then access that via cash machines while in France. We're going to be doing workaway/wwoofing so - hopefully our spending won't be too high but what with brexit etc, the thought of currency fluctuations is making us a bit nervous.

Thanks for any advice or to help us think this through.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 20th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi all, this question has probably been asked loads but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. We are going to be travelling across France for 6 months and want to be able to get cash out but also get some stability re exchange rates for our budget. Looking at cards like the Transferwise FX, it's great for real globetrotters but it only lets you take out 200 per month from cash machines - but this is probably what we will mostly want to do, and we'll need more than 200/m. Not keen on credit cards because we'll be out in the wilds quite a lot and managing money online will be tricky (I'm not a lover of mobiles, mine is a bit of an antique and not modern-app-friendly).
    Really I want a card that lets us change a whack of money into euros when we're ready to do that and then access that via cash machines while in France. We're going to be doing workaway/wwoofing so - hopefully our spending won't be too high but what with brexit etc, the thought of currency fluctuations is making us a bit nervous.
    Thanks for any advice or to help us think this through.
    Originally posted by RobKett
    https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/bank-accounts/products/current-account/ as your first choice

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp as a back up.

If you want to change Euros in advance of leaving, but don't have a Smartphone, your choices are limited.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

2,981Users online

Martin's Twitter