Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yesapleasa
    • By Yesapleasa 23rd May 19, 11:06 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Yesapleasa
    0 WOW
    Protection when booking holiday separate
    • 23rd May 19, 11:06 AM
    0 WOW
    Protection when booking holiday separate 23rd May 19 at 11:06 AM
    Started planning for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Disneyworld in Florida
    Got a price through the travel agent which was extortionate!
    Decided to look through ourselves and have booked it all separate
    i.e flights with Thomas Cook, rooms and tickets with Disney - saved 4K in total

The travel agent has now got me worried saying that because I didn't book a package I'm not ATOL protected which means if there's a problem with the flight etc I'm not covered.

I was going to take out holiday insurance and did book it on my credit card but does anybody know what this means? What do I need to be protecting myself from and how do I do that?

Any help would be most appreciated!
Page 1
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 23rd May 19, 11:49 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Alexd52
    • 23rd May 19, 11:49 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 11:49 AM
    First thing you must do is get your travel insurance sorted immediately so that you are protected straight away.
    You will need to research the policy conditions to ensure that you are covered for what you need.

ATOL covers against the holiday company going bust, and in some cases can offer protection with flights only, but you will need to look into this yourself to see if your terms cover this.

Your credit card may give you some section 75 cover in the event of the travel companies going bust for example

I wouldn't stress out too much, we always book ours separately to take advantage of savings, but remember, travel insurance will cover most things if you buy the right policy
    Last edited by Alexd52; 23-05-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 23rd May 19, 12:38 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 3,914 Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    • 23rd May 19, 12:38 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 12:38 PM
    I may be wrong and others can correct this but if you book a flydrive you are covered by atol - this only helpful if your planning on hiring a car whilst there.
    Fibro-Warrior
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 23rd May 19, 7:53 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Alexd52
    • 23rd May 19, 7:53 PM
    • 23rd May 19, 7:53 PM
    I may be wrong and others can correct this but if you book a flydrive you are covered by atol - this only helpful if your planning on hiring a car whilst there.
    Originally posted by no.1swimmum
    Not sure about car hire, but if you book a flight and a hotel in the same transaction, then this is usually covered by ATOL, even if it is a diy holiday
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 24th May 19, 11:48 AM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 24th May 19, 11:48 AM
    • 24th May 19, 11:48 AM
    As you have discovered financial protection for travel can be a minefield. If you had bought the flights and car hire from Thomas Cook at the same time it would have been a legal package and protected by the government-backed ATOL scheme which guarantees to return you home if a business fails whilst you are on holiday or provide a refund if the failure happens before you travel.

It appears you just bought the flights directly, on line , from Thomas Cook Airlines, Thomas Cooks could but do not provide ATOL protection for their flight only sales as they are not legally obliged to do so. Only 14 days ago a report proposed requiring all airlines flying out of the UK to be obliged to provide financial protection, 19 European airlines have failed since the start of 2017 alone, but it may be years before this government takes any action to implement the change, so you cannot rely on this happening.

You need to ensure you have scheduled airline failure cover, this may be included in some of the better general travel insurance policies or if you have already got insurance which does not include that cover, buy a separate policy. The biggest supplier is www.protectmyholiday.com. and it is worth checking out to see if they will cover your flights, last Friday immediately after the announcement of the loss, they would not cover TC, but they may have changed their mind by now.

If you booked the hotel and theme park tickets with Disney, there is really no risk of them failing but you need to be aware that if you have no flights, Disney would almost certainly still charge you in full for the hotels and tickets and the fact that you paid by credit card would make no difference as Disney would not be in breach of contract.

It is often when things go wrong that the value of a package becomes obvious, as well as financial protection, operators are legally responsible for any accidents illness or injury that you might suffer on holiday and it is always much easier to make a claim in the UK than to have to sue Disney in Florida.

The reality is that it is very unlikely that Thomas Cooks will fail but take steps now to arrange effective insurance so if the worst happens you can limit your losses
    Last edited by Alan Bowen; 25-05-2019 at 9:42 AM.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 24th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 3,894 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 24th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 24th May 19, 3:09 PM
    Make sure you get your travel insurance booked asap
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Frugalista
    • By Frugalista 24th May 19, 7:18 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    Frugalista
    • 24th May 19, 7:18 PM
    • 24th May 19, 7:18 PM
    Are chartered flights covered by scheduled airline failure cover or is it just scheduled?
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 25th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 25th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 25th May 19, 9:46 AM
    Charter airlines are treated as scheduled for most purposes now but if it really is a charter, and Thomas Cooks and TUI are in the main scheduled services anyway, it must be protected by an ATOL licence so you don't need additional protection as the charterer is legally responsible to rearrange a flight or refund your money if the airline fails. If you get an ATOL Certificate when you book, you are protected, if you don't, you need to protect yourself
    • Frugalista
    • By Frugalista 25th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    Frugalista
    • 25th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 25th May 19, 11:25 AM
    You need to ensure you have scheduled airline failure cover, this may be included in some of the better general travel insurance policies or if you have already got insurance which does not include that cover, buy a separate policy. The biggest supplier is www.protectmyholiday.com. and it is worth checking out to see if they will cover your flights, last Friday immediately after the announcement of the loss, they would not cover TC, but they may have changed their mind by now.
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen
    Charter airlines are treated as scheduled for most purposes now but if it really is a charter, and Thomas Cooks and TUI are in the main scheduled services anyway, it must be protected by an ATOL licence so you don't need additional protection as the charterer is legally responsible to rearrange a flight or refund your money if the airline fails. If you get an ATOL Certificate when you book, you are protected, if you don't, you need to protect yourself
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen
    We have booked and paid on-line with Thomas Cook and did not get an ATOL Certificate. Do you have any advice as to where we may now get cover?

My husband reckons we are OK as we paid on Credit card (section 75) but I am not convinced.
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 25th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    TC are not charter flights, they are scheduled. The benefit of ATOL protection is that someone organises the flights home if you are stranded abroad and if you have airline failure cover the insurers may do so. With section 75 cover you have to pay out and then make a claim. Some card issuers make it easy, some frequently don't. The problem is that if an airline ceases to trade, every other airline doubles or triples the fares, so long as you are happy to make your own arrangements and pay for them you should be OK.

Just a warning to those who book flights for others, whether they are friends or extended family, card issuers will normally only protect the person and their partner, whose card was used, on the basis that everyone else probably paid by cash or cheque to the person booking the flights and therefore did not book using a credit card. In this case insurance against failure or ATOL protection is vital
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 29th May 19, 10:50 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I have witnessed at first hand the potential issues when doing a DIY holiday package

We were in a hotel in Malta on a Thomas Cook deal when the Icelandic volcanic eruption grounded flights for several days.

TC kept us in the hotel, same room, same board basis and after 4 days leased a plane from Air Malta to fly everybody home, no cost to us.

A large party from Ireland who went DIY were left high and dry and eventually had to get a ferry to southern Italy, a coach all the way up to the French channels ports, another ferry across to the UK, another coach up to Holyhead to catch another ferry back to Eire - cost was around 1000 Euros per person.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 31st May 19, 9:04 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    On the other hand I was in ATOL 'protected' acommodation (I did have the certificate) and got no help whatsoever when the end supplier went bust!
    Had to make own arrangements over 'room' payment but flight supplier was OK so travel was not an issue!

Hell of a job to reclaim when back home. Insurer and credit card company not interested till Atol claim route exhausted.
    So half of holiday partially ruined (when all the effort to resolve should have been done for me) and protection only covered finances after the protracted claim.

Not saying ATOL was not of benefit, it certainly was and still should be, but does not always work well.

Just be aware at booking time of cover, limitations, conditions etc. and what you do if all goes wrong! Travel insurance is often left too late with potentially inadequate cover. Save just a few pounds on cover for a poorer policy, save maybe hundreds by DIY, but ensure you realise what the extra risks are and cover them as best you can. Well worth ensuring you make a 'package' within the ATOL rules or mitigate against the risks!

We must all give thanks to Alan Bowen for his great free advice!
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 1st Jun 19, 10:26 AM
    • 2,987 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    bagand96
    One interesting observation in all of this.... is the events surrounding Monarch’s failure.

The vast majority of Monarch’s bookings were flight only and were NOT ATOL protected. However, when the company failed, the Government/CAA arranged repatriation flights anyway, and those who were abroad were able to finish their holiday and fly home on their originally booked date. This protection is usually only provided for ATOL protected passengers. But nearly everyone got it in the case of Monarch, even though the majority were not covered.

Obviously it was no help to those who had future bookings. And there’s nothing to say it has set a precedent. Any future government may not decide to do the same.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 2nd Jun 19, 4:43 PM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    The government claimed they had to protect everyone because there were insufficient seats available to get everyone home. The cynics amongst us suspect the fact that the failure occurred on the first day of the Conservative Party Conference also helped those abroad at the time as the government wanted to be the headline, not thousands of potential voters stranded at airports abroad.

However it cost the government upwards of £60 million and they have made it clear they do not want to be put in that position again hence the reason they set up a Review which was published last month recommending a statutory scheme for all airlines, UK and overseas, that fly out of the UK which requires them to have financial protection in place as part of the licencing system.

Of course, just when we might need it, the government is falling apart at the seams and there is no realistic chance of anything happening in the short term at least. Chose your airline carefully and make sure that you insure against airline failure.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 3rd Jun 19, 8:52 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    Ganga
    Nice of the original poster to come back and thank the helpfull people and also tell them what they have done to protect themselves- NOT
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 3rd Jun 19, 12:04 PM
    • 3,989 Posts
    • 3,605 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Nice of the original poster to come back and thank the helpfull people and also tell them what they have done to protect themselves- NOT
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Unfortunately that's usually the way - take take take, and no thanks or advice for others in future.
    The world we live in, eh
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,508Posts Today

8,990Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin