Do we have a problem?

2»

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    bspm1 wrote: »
    I make it closer to 52k worth of debt.

I think you need to add it up again. Definitely £47k
    Car Loans £24k
    Caravan £10.2k
    Credit cards £9.8k
    Interest free £3k
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • boomsmitty
    boomsmitty Posts: 22 Forumite
    A problem indeed, but if you get your act together you can sort it.

Forget the extension, it's not an emergency. Sell both cars and buy two cheapies for £2k a piece that'll last you a couple of years. Sell the caravan. You don't need it. That's about £30k of debt gone, more or less. Even if you are the wrong way round on the cars you can clear the difference quickly with that extra money at the end of the month.

Then just start attacking the remaining debts with intensity. If you go hard you could be debt free in a year I reckon, why not?

Then imagine having no debt, apart from your mortgage, and all that lovely extra money from that income going into an investment pot every month. Splendid.
  • fresh_cotton
    fresh_cotton Posts: 40 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Yes you have a major problem.

I say major because, even though you have so much debt, you were actually trying to extend your mortgage by £10,000 for further completely unnecessary purchases. If you carry on the way you have been, you will become bankrupt
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I agree with the others. You need to be prioritising hitting your debt repayments hard. You say you have £800 per month left in disposable income for Holidays and Entertainment. But really you don't. Use this £800 to pay down the debt, and forgo the luxuries for a while.

Try going on an austerity drive for say, 6 months, and throw as much as you can at the debt....short term pain, long term gain!!! Try and turn it into a competition for the kids too, to try and distract them from not spending money on them. Although at their ages, they'll no doubt be all "it's not fair" if they're told NO for a while.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • The_Miser
    The_Miser Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2019 at 5:32PM
    I agree that you have a potential problem which you should avoid. Your morgage is £815 per month but remember that this could very easily double if rates rise (or any special deal expires). (Historically MY morgage rate hit 19%pa)

Your caravan: you owe £10,000 odd but it looks like you also take other holidays. You should be able to get holidays at £4,000 total for the family so your caravan is 2 1/2 holidays (but don't forget fuel towing the caravan plus campsite fees plus perhaps costs of crossing the channel). One OR the other but not both.
    Two cars - I think the idea of a £2000 car each is optimistic - at that price reliability suffers; do you REALLY need two cars? Try to reduce the cost at least.
    Credit cards - nearly £10,000 and some of it is interest bearing; pay off ALL the interest bearing part as an immediate minimum and desperately try to reduce the total into three figures.
    General: pay off ALL interest bearing debt as soon as possible. Ensure that you never ever take on debt where there is a fee for early repayment.

The future: I LIKE that you are putting £100 per month into an emergency pot; think if it would cut your interest bill if you use that to repay interest bearing debt.
    £100 per month towards university costs. GOOD but will it be enough. At today's prices tuition will be £36,000 (3x£6000 each) PLUS living costs which could easily be as much again.

DO make a list of jobs each of you could do if you lose your jobs; I did this before the company closed down - I had about 80 different possibilities using a max of £100 investment and bringing in £500 per week.
    Watch the TV programmes about eating more cheaply; it works.
    Good luck

Edit no 3. (!) Read, mark and learn every line of https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/money-help/.

OK so it was written for those whose outgoings exceed income BUT you should be able to save thousands to use to repay debts. Just the odd thousand off your grocery bill would help but there is far more on that page. Then look at the allied threads like the challenge on Frugal Living.

Edit no. 2 Once you get your debts down and as soon as possible ensure that you are putting the maximum possible into a pension pot or equivalent. You will need a big pot to bring in any realistic private pension - if you can amass £300K then with considerable care that should bring in £1K / month after today's taxes on top of any state pension. Do be aware that the rules change rapidly and the changes are almost never in your favour.

Edit no 1. Quite separate from our pension pot which has doubled despite drawing on it monthly, we put a redundancy lump sum into investments and have more than doubled the original amount and average 10% pa. income after tax Study this VERY CAREFULLY and run a dummy account before trying - you could easily lose money
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi and Welcome KL.

You might have more risks than a problem, but you definitely aren't in the best financial shape.

You are right that your life has been comfortable. Your income comfortably covers your outgoings.

What are your financial plans? When do you plan to psy off your mortgage? What age will you be? What happens at the end of the car leases etc?

It's easy to convince ourselves that we have good debt when it is spent on the house (a fair point that it is way less working than debt that comes from random and day to say spending). What is/ was your plan to clear your debt on the credit cards?

You say you use the caravan a lot. That's fair. I think it will take you about 4 years to pay for it, depending what the interest rate is. Is that what you think too?

The SoA (statement of affairs) is a really good template for working out where your money is going and you can share it here if you want advice on ways you can save money further.

This mortgage company has done you a great favour; they've helped you wake up and reassess your situation. Now you can decide what you want to do next.

Please do let us know what you think. Very best wishes with whatever you decide to do next.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure