Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th May 19, 7:02 PM
    • 10,828Posts
    • 7,162Thanks
    bigadaj
    0 WOW
    International driving permit
    • 19th May 19, 7:02 PM
    0 WOW
    International driving permit 19th May 19 at 7:02 PM
    We're off to France in June and have hired a car on arrival. As I understand it there's no need for an IDP until we leave the EU which is probably not for several months. If we do leave there may be a need for an IDP but probably not if we get a deal.

Just wondered if others thoughts my understanding was correct and whether anyone is currently getting an IDP just in case?

Edit just found a .gov site which indicates that an IDP won't be necessary until at least November, unless we leave with a no deal before then, so don't need one, unless we crash out at short notice, when there will be queues out the door of post offices!
    Last edited by bigadaj; 19-05-2019 at 7:23 PM. Reason: Update
Page 1
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 20th May 19, 7:46 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 20th May 19, 7:46 AM
    • 20th May 19, 7:46 AM
    A guy I know drove in the USA a few years back on a UK licence - he was stopped by the police for speeding, he got a formal warning (not sure how he bodyswerved a fine) however they had no issue with the licence.

It might be worth consulting an expert source like the AA or RAC to determine if an IDL is absolutely required for Europe post Brexit.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 20th May 19, 3:42 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 20th May 19, 3:42 PM
    • 20th May 19, 3:42 PM
    A guy I know drove in the USA a few years back on a UK licence - he was stopped by the police for speeding, he got a formal warning (not sure how he bodyswerved a fine) however they had no issue with the licence.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    You don't need an IDP in the States, although I'm not sure why it was brought up as the op is talking about Europe.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 20th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 20th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 20th May 19, 7:59 PM
    Do Europe and the USA not come within the definition of the term "International" ?

Is an IDL mandatory in Europe ?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 20th May 19, 9:19 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 20th May 19, 9:19 PM
    • 20th May 19, 9:19 PM
    Do Europe and the USA not come within the definition of the term "International" ?

Is an IDL mandatory in Europe ?
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Not everywhere that's international requires an IDP.

It's not needed in the EU at the moment, hence the op's question..
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 29th May 19, 4:18 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 29th May 19, 4:18 PM
    • 29th May 19, 4:18 PM
    Thanks for clarification, apologies for slow response.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,326Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin