Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 14th May 19, 11:53 AM
    • 1,758Posts
    • 400Thanks
    0 WOW
    Challenging a damage claim from a car hire company.
    • #1
    • 14th May 19, 11:53 AM
    0 WOW
    Challenging a damage claim from a car hire company. 14th May 19 at 11:53 AM
    I hired a car which had a lot of minor damage on it beforehand and which was marked on the rental form. On returning it there was no-one around from the hire company so I took photos of the car. The hire company then sent me an email from a noreply address with a photo of a scratch which is very faint and not visible in my photo. I can post the photos if anyone is interested. The hire company charged €150 to my credit card. They do not respond to emails and nor does the online agent I booked through.

    It's disgraceful that they charge this money and then refuse to enter into any discussions. I'm going to challenge the payment with my credit card company but am not that confident. In any case it's a hassle.

    What can I do to prevent this next time I hire a car? I feel that I need to take detailed photos of the car, maybe 100 of them, both before and after, to be able to prove that any damage wasn't caused by me. It seriously puts me off hiring cars in the future.

    OK, I suppose checking the reviews of the car rental company is one thing
    Last edited by Chomeur; 14-05-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th May 19, 9:15 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 2,786 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th May 19, 9:15 PM
    • #2
    • 14th May 19, 9:15 PM
    Did Interrent issue an invoice for the charge to your card?

    If not, and if they don't provide one when further requested, you can state this to your card provider and ask for a chargeback.

    If they do provide an invoice, present it to your separate CDW excess insurance provider, if you have such, with your claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,367Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter