Great 'supermarket staff tell us your reduction policies' hunt

1181920212224»

Comments

• asbokid wrote: »

Besides, where's your salesman's instinct? Find the Del boy in you!

"This tat needs shifting Rodders. Giz a hand flogging it down the market. Lovely jubbly!"

The minds of many of the younger generation have been captured, enslaving them to their corporate masters.

Being a fellow part time supermarket worker i'd say there's no reward in having a salesman's instinct. Especially when the job isn't your career. I work on non-food section. I get nothing from convincing a customer to by a more expensive brand tv over the discounted one 95% of them want from the adverts.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    The sad reason there are so many pensioners and hard up folk looking for reductions is that often its the only food they can afford to buy I am a pensioner and can live reasonably well on what I have coming in but only buy careful buyingnof my food stores.I would love to splash out on a real treat of maybe aberdeen angus steak but at over £25.00 a kilo its not an option.If I see some meat or fish thats been reduced that I can make a meal out of then i will buy it in oreferance to doing without.I was standing by an old chap who politely asked an assistant in Tescos if there were any reductions in the bread rolls at all (this was around 5 at night) She was so rude to him and snapped back No we don't reduce them if their not sold we put them in the back to go for pigswill.This was said in a fairly loud voice and this old guy coloured up and apolgised for asking .This particular assistant is a supervisor in the store as well and half the store could hear her(its only a small Metro store locally) .I felt so sorry for this old chap I don't suppose he enjoyed asking and she had no reason to make him feel humiliated and small.I have never used this store since as I felt if this was the way customers were treated then they can do without my custom.I left my trolley and walked out in disgust.Lots of people ,especially in todays markets are struggling to make ends meet and rising prices mean that we all have to seek a bit of a bargain if possible so think about that next time you are rubbishing folk who haven't got you job or income coming in One day it could be you !!!
  • JackieO wrote: »
    The sad reason there are so many pensioners and hard up folk looking for reductions is that often its the only food they can afford to buy I am a pensioner and can live reasonably well on what I have coming in but only buy careful buyingnof my food stores.I would love to splash out on a real treat of maybe aberdeen angus steak but at over £25.00 a kilo its not an option.If I see some meat or fish thats been reduced that I can make a meal out of then i will buy it in oreferance to doing without.I was standing by an old chap who politely asked an assistant in Tescos if there were any reductions in the bread rolls at all (this was around 5 at night) She was so rude to him and snapped back No we don't reduce them if their not sold we put them in the back to go for pigswill.This was said in a fairly loud voice and this old guy coloured up and apolgised for asking .This particular assistant is a supervisor in the store as well and half the store could hear her(its only a small Metro store locally) .I felt so sorry for this old chap I don't suppose he enjoyed asking and she had no reason to make him feel humiliated and small.I have never used this store since as I felt if this was the way customers were treated then they can do without my custom.I left my trolley and walked out in disgust.Lots of people ,especially in todays markets are struggling to make ends meet and rising prices mean that we all have to seek a bit of a bargain if possible so think about that next time you are rubbishing folk who haven't got you job or income coming in One day it could be you !!!

More aimed at your signature, but £100 a monthly for food and you're going to make a big deal out of it? I'm a student, and have £80 a month for food, and a small freezer. Don't buy meat; learn to cook lentils.
  • Quote;'Be friendly to staff as I'm less likely to go out of my way for someone who is rude (common sense really) but if we tell you we cant do something the chances are we cant, moaning or asking other staff just makes us less likely to help you in the future'

Quote; "Be friendly to staff as I'm less likely to go out of my way for someone who is rude (common sense really) but if we tell you we cant do something the chances are we cant, moaning or asking other staff just makes us less likely to help you in the future`"

Try not to be an idiot, it always helps. Reducing stuff is time consuming and important its done accurately, constantly pestering the person for another 10p off your chicken sandwich ain't gonna make you any friends. If you plan to be a Reductions Regular (every store needs them, they solve what is otherwise a problem ), it would help you enormously if the people you want to look after you don't all cringe when they see you...

Quote; `Oh...and never, ever fight with an other customer over the last pack of chicken legs - It is not big, not clever, pretty undignified and to be fair, the Police laugh at you once they have managed to split you up"

The above statments show that food thats been around for week or more on last legs that should be binned by a mega company is being sold and only if you you smile and act like a begger to staff.
    I am sorry but customers who buy and pay the wages of the staff that are saying these things should be lucky people are buying the reductions.
    I have seen Tesco staff treat people like they are dogs and this is wrong why should a customer who smiles more than an other or has only come once get a reduction. Staff should learn that being in such control over gone off food is not big but being a big head and trying to degrade people. Maybe when your on a pension trying to survive you will be in the reduction section and maybe you will have to smile and beg staff for a reduction.
    The truth is little shops reduce very well and I see mega supermarkets holding onto going off food to get pennies and wast staff time keep coming out and making reductions. Tesco, Morrison and all of them should be ashamed and so should these staff. Act like human beings and not try and play customers like fools and beggers and reduce the same for everyone not the ones who lick shoes to get another 10p off.
  • pennypincher3562
    pennypincher3562 Posts: 2,229 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2019 at 8:22PM
    I was in a supermarket today, and saw some 'familiar faces' trailing after staff who were reducing prices and getting them to hand over all the reduced items before they even hit the shelf.

It struck me as a bit greedy, but I'm curious is it not against company policy to hand customers reduced items directly, without even putting them on the shelf?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure