searching MSE forum

Options
OceanSound
OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
When I search the whole forum for tsb telephone banking all the results that come up are of no relevance. So I type 'tsb telephone banking' (this time with the quotes). Again, the results are irrelevant.

Does this mean the site has no posts relating to tsb telephone banking? This can't be so.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 May 2019 at 3:20PM
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    When I search the whole forum for tsb telephone banking all the results that come up are of no relevance. So I type 'tsb telephone banking' (this time with the quotes). Again, the results are irrelevant.

Does this mean the site has no posts relating to tsb telephone banking? This can't be so.

Are you searching on the relevant board?

ie the Banking board or are you searching the entire site?

It could be that its not been mentioned in a long time, you could always post on the banking board with your query if nothing comes up on a search and let the friendly peeps help you out .
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • OceanSound
    edited 2 May 2019 at 4:14PM
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    Are you searching on the relevant board?

ie the Banking board or are you searching the entire site?
    First, I searched the banking board. Then the whole forum. (there are two choices on the drop-down - 'This board' or 'FOrum. If we are viewing a particular thread, there are three options. 'This board', 'Forum' or 'This thread').

Surely, if we select 'Forum' then we would cast the net wider, so should return any result appearing on all boards. (I think we can only search entire site if we use the search at the top right corner)

AS a test, I searched for Boots App Loyalty Points (this is a thread appearing in this board) and set search scope for forum.

The thread Boots App Loyalty Points appears third in the results. The thread titled Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again is the first result. There is one post in the whole thread (post #1003) where the words 'boots' + 'loyalty' + 'points' appear. But the word 'app' appears alongside 'BBC Sounds app' in that post, so not really relevant.

Can we search for posts to match whole phrase within a post? (Just like in Internet search engines when we include the phrase within quotes).

I noticed we can search 'titles only' in advanced search. This does return the 'Boots App Loyalty Points' thread as the only result.

p.s: Just noticed if we select the 'show result as' option to be 'posts' in advanced search the thread titled 'Boots App Loyalty Points' appears at the top, with 'Frump.....' thread (post #1003) appearing second.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    First, I searched the banking board. Then the whole forum. (there are two choices on the drop-down - 'This board' or 'FOrum. If we are viewing a particular thread, there are three options. 'This board', 'Forum' or 'This thread').

Surely, if we select 'Forum' then we would cast the net wider, so should return any result appearing on all boards. (I think we can only search entire site if we use the search at the top right corner)

AS a test, I searched for Boots App Loyalty Points (this is a thread appearing in this board) and set search scope for forum.

The thread Boots App Loyalty Points appears third in the results. The thread titled Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again is the first result. There is one post in the whole thread (post #1003) where the words 'boots' + 'loyalty' + 'points' appear. But the word 'app' appears alongside 'BBC Sounds app' in that post, so not really relevant.

Can we search for posts to match whole phrase within a post? (Just like in Internet search engines when we include the phrase within quotes).

I noticed we can search 'titles only' in advanced search. This does return the 'Boots App Loyalty Points' thread as the only result.

p.s: Just noticed if we select the 'show result as' option to be 'posts' in advanced search the thread titled 'Boots App Loyalty Points' appears at the top, with 'Frump.....' thread (post #1003) appearing second.

If you do a search with a sentence it will search all words ie Boots , App, Loyalty, Points , well that’s what I find.

If you go advanced it does seem to search better.

It’s not always possible but I only find the search spot on if you can do a url search buts that’s not always feasible.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • OceanSound
    Options
    Okay, so I've done a google search for 'capital one cash transaction fee' (without the quotes), and this thread titled 'Capital One cash advance fee for "betting" transaction' came up:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1079021

However, if I use the advanced search feature on the MSE site and search 'capital one cash transaction fee' (both with and without the quotes), there is no sign of that thread. Gone through the first three pages of both sets of results. Not a sausage.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure