Delivering local free newspaper

Comments

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    It is available as they were advertising, I enquired and they emailed me a list of the current available rounds.

Ask them when you can start. As said, it depends on how many leaflets you need to put in each one, which decides how much you are paid. If you get them delivered to your house a family member could help you with inserting the leaflets inside the papers.

The way I look at it is if you are keen to earn extra money, no matter how small the amount, you will do it. If you don't think it's enough you can walk away. Have you asked them how much you will get?

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 14 October 2018 at 10:31AM
    Make sure you factor in the cost of travel to collect the newspapers and leaflets if the agent doesn't drop them off at your home.

I applied in my local-ish area but it's rural with strung out villages so wouldn't have been cost-effective for me. The start of the nearest round to me is about 4.5 miles away. As I was on their database though I was asked to stand in for a couple of issues when the regular deliverer was on holiday. I enjoyed doing it but distances involved between groups of houses and the loooong driveways at each house meant it was really hard work and I reckon I barely covered my petrol costs:eek:. If I lived somewhere like you obviously do and with a round like you mention I definitely would do it though. Don't hang about too long deciding if you want to do it, these sort of jobs get snapped up pretty quickly.

Local free newspapers aren't delivered in my immediate villages, too far out, and the agent dropped them off at my home as a favour when I stood in. He wanted to talk to me anyway to make sure I was fully au fait with what to do with the leaflets etc:rotfl:. Plus, being paid in cash he had to come round and pay me. Definitely not cost-effective for him as it was several miles out of his way. He said he would definitely employ me again if the rounds I was doing came up permanently but I'd have to make arrangements to go somewhere to pick up the papers each week. He wasn't too keen though especially with the payment situation as it was cash-only and he needed to hand it over personally.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 10:48AM
    Make sure you factor in the cost of travel to collect the newspapers and leaflets if the agent doesn't drop them off at your home.

I applied in my local-ish area but it's rural with strung out villages so wouldn't have been cost-effective for me. The start of the nearest round to me is about 4.5 miles away. As I was on their database though I was asked to stand in for a couple of issues when the regular deliverer was on holiday. I enjoyed doing it but distances involved between groups of houses and the loooong driveways at each house meant it was really hard work and I reckon I barely covered my petrol costs:eek:. If I lived somewhere like you obviously do and with a round like you mention I definitely would do it though. Don't hang about too long deciding if you want to do it, these sort of jobs get snapped up pretty quickly.

Local free newspapers aren't delivered in my immediate villages, too far out, and the agent dropped them off at my home as a favour when I stood in. He wanted to talk to me anyway to make sure I was fully au fait with what to do with the leaflets etc:rotfl:. Plus, being paid in cash he had to come round and pay me. Definitely not cost-effective for him as it was several miles out of his way. He said he would definitely employ me again if the rounds I was doing came up permanently but I'd have to make arrangements to go somewhere to pick up the papers each week. He wasn't too keen though especially with the payment situation as it was cash-only and he needed to hand it over personally.

I've applied so I should hear back next week. If it's not cost effective then I'll just drop it but if it's £20 a week I'll be happy with that. It all adds up and it's about making extra money long term that I wouldn't have had otherwise, it's not all about having a minimum per hour rate before you get out of bed so to speak.

If the houses were strung out with long driveways etc like what you had then I probably wouldn't do it but the round I've identified on their available list sound ideal. Some of the other rounds have some streets next to each other then a huge distance than another few streets together which means more walking.

When I did them as a kid (age 13-16) they used to drop the papers off each week and post my wages through the letterbox, but that paper is no longer in existence now and this is a difference company so no idea if you pick them up yourself or if they drop them off. I hope they drop them off.
  • Turns out it's only £8.32 a week so hardly worth it. :(
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Turns out it's only £8.32 a week so hardly worth it. :(

Not suprized. I used to get about £25 a week depending on amount of leaflets although this was 10 years ago now but they changed the system up and it went down to about 10-15 depending on leaflets and was no longer worth it.

Unf kids/retired people will do it for the 8-10 as it's pocket money for them or they just like getting out and about.

You should look into those local charity mags delivery. They tend to pay about 25-40 depending on company.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Not suprized. I used to get about £25 a week depending on amount of leaflets although this was 10 years ago now but they changed the system up and it went down to about 10-15 depending on leaflets and was no longer worth it.

Unf kids/retired people will do it for the 8-10 as it's pocket money for them or they just like getting out and about.

You should look into those local charity mags delivery. They tend to pay about 25-40 depending on company.

Yep I was getting £7 to deliver 300 papers when I was a young teen 20 years ago so the pay hasn't really went up.

No wonder the distribution figures for the paper are so low as I doubt they can get anyone to pick a round up.
  • I can't remember the last time a free newspaper was delivered to our house. It may be at least 15 years.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Our free papers stopped years ago, and the local daily paper was cut back to just one day a week on a Thursday. Loads of paper boy/girls lost their rounds.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 26 October 2018 at 1:36AM
    Turns out it's only £8.32 a week so hardly worth it. :(

I agree that it's not much but I wonder if that's just the basic wage. It's usual to be given a load of leaflets for takeaways and such like that have to be inserted in each paper. I had about 5 different ones per every paper which I got paid extra for. I can't remember the amount of money I got but I feel sure the fee for the leaflets was as much as that for delivering the paper itself. I only did it for a couple of weeks as holiday relief and I had pretty much the same number of leaflets each time but the agent said it varies and some weeks there might only be one.

If it's a quick and easy area to deliver in with lots of houses close together and no long driveways maybe you could try for a bigger, better paying round.
  • I agree that it's not much but I wonder if that's just the basic wage. It's usual to be given a load of leaflets for takeaways and such like that have to be inserted in each paper. I had about 5 different ones per every paper which I got paid extra for. I can't remember the amount of money I got but I feel sure the fee for the leaflets was nearly as much as that for delivering the paper itself. I only did it for a couple of weeks as holiday relief and I had pretty much the same number of leaflets each time but the agent said it varies and some weeks there might only be one.

If it's a quick and easy area to deliver in with lots of houses close together and no long driveways maybe you could try for a bigger, better paying round.

All the rounds in the area are roughly the same amount of papers. I assume some people take more than one round and combine them. But it's then a trade off between earning some extra money in a spare hour or two, to devoting loads of time to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure