Artificial Grass

devofash
devofash Posts: 28 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi guys,

Need a little advise.

I've been thinking about laying Artificial Grass in my garden. Have looked at a fair videos and it seems laying the grass is easy but the prep is difficult. My garden has very patchy grass and weedy, so it needs to go.

Anyway all the videos I've seen, they create a perimeter, sub-base, compact using compactor, sand, use compactor and so on...

My question what's the point of sub-base / sand? I don't want to raise the ground, can I not remove the patchy grass, apply weedkiller, lay weed membrane and then the artificial lawn over it?

My garden is pretty flat so wouldn't need to compact it really.

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, posted in the wrong topic. Could a mod please move it. Thanks

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    devofash wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Need a little advise.

I've been thinking about laying Artificial Grass in my garden. Have looked at a fair videos and it seems laying the grass is easy but the prep is difficult. My garden has very patchy grass and weedy, so it needs to go.

Anyway all the videos I've seen, they create a perimeter, sub-base, compact using compactor, sand, use compactor and so on...

My question what's the point of sub-base / sand? I don't want to raise the ground, can I not remove the patchy grass, apply weedkiller, lay weed membrane and then the artificial lawn over it?

My garden is pretty flat so wouldn't need to compact it really.

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, posted in the wrong topic. Could a mod please move it. Thanks

My neighbours have had artificial grass laid, not a huge lawn, but the preparation was the major part of the work. One of the chaps told me they had been called to correct and rescue a DIY project laid on just weed-suppressing membrane and the lawn had weeds growing through it! From what I saw it really is a job for the experts.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The sub-base is there to allow the lawn to drain when heavy rainfall occurs. The sand is really just there to level out the sub-base, and prevent any sharp pieces in the sub-base from cutting the grass backing or the feet of anyone walking on the grass. Without the sub-base, rain will pool under the artificial lawn and you will find that walking on the lawn is like walking on a trampoline!

Sand is not actually the best material to use, granite dust (0-6mm) is recommended. Sand is too fine and gets washed down into the sub-base leaving humps and hollows in the lawn.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure