Please help, is this job offer a scam?

Options

Comments

• whinging_hamster
    Options
    Had exactly the same email today, and alarm bells a ringing. I'm not sure why though lol
  • sugargrass
    Options
    Personally, I'd go by this rule of thumb...

If you aren't desperate and you really couldn't care either way, just leave it.

Better safe than sorry!
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so you complete the task and an email comes back
    well done we are delighted to offer you the job starting on blah blah date,

please fill in the attatched form and send back to our payroll department asap,any delay in processing your bank details could delay your wages being transferred
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • chavless
    chavless Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 August 2010 at 6:34PM
    Options
    I felt like a detective cat, so i did some digging around.

I started from the VAT number, which i was quite suripised to be registered to a DOUGLAS GRAY with his company DATATEC - DATA UK.

It turns out that Douglas used to be a
    surveyor and can speak good arabic. (weblink, i am a new user so add http) uk.linkedin.com/pub/douglas-gray/9/65b/7b0. It seems his profile is just a front, as he now lives in new york city, running this business from there.

He also runs this company (anotherweblink...)Best4USA.com.

There is only one business called Datatec Ltd, but why would a company not inculde registered details on a website?

The address is also linked to Elite Cars (Again, add http) elitecarsuk.co.uk.

Also, this is not very healthy... his company is selling 5,000 email addresses (inculding mine more then likely) for £69. (Add address)business-box.co.uk/order.html)

This utterly !!!!es me off, as this !!!!!! has my CV and my Uni Email address... think i will think twice about applying for jobs though the job center in the future....
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good work chavless, welcome to MSE
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is the Shopping Genie "opportunity". Check it out here: http://www.articlesbase.com/business-opportunities-articles/my-shopping-genie-toolbar-a-shopping-tool-to-save-money-make-money-or-market-yourself-2238603.html

If he can get 10,000 people to get that far, then he's got 10,000 people he's potentially earning from ... and I think the salary must be b0ll0x.

I'll stand corrected.... but that's what my money's on.

All those people who installed it and sacked it off, will forget it's running on their PC and if they buy the right stuff he'll pocket a few pence per time.

I'd expect there to be some reason you don't get the job, but if you reach the end of the process, you're also on a list of "people who will follow whatever I say ....." - a valuable list.

Maybe the 'job' will be withdrawn and they'll then be able to convince you to give it away, to earn money.

It'll be all about him, anyway, not for your benefit.
  • fubar1010
    Options
    I just remembered aswell something...

The email goes on about "we have recieved your c.v" blah blah "we offer you the oppurtunity to progress" blah blah

I never sent my c.v to them!!

So they are offering me oppurtunitys to progress after reviewing my c.v etc
    but they don't even have mine :rotfl:
  • bitzyboo
    Options
    Well I to have applied for the same position and I am through to the final stages awaiting a face to face interview, I came across this thread when I was researching everything about the company incase I get the interview.

I was alarmed to read the comments here so I called the UK number I mean I don't know why no one tried that yet! and a very nice chap answered the phone and when I told him about this thread he was quite stunned and annoyed he said it is a legitimate job offer and people should research the company more before applying for the job anyway.......and if they didnt like the recruitment process they didnt need to be part of it.

I Called this number 0)1367 709385 he really did sound very legit, said douglas was the MD and he couldnt understand why people would come up with 1+1 and get 3.
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    This is the Shopping Genie "opportunity".

MSG :eek:

See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=36355481#post36355481
  • Fang_3
    Fang_3 Posts: 7,602 Forumite
    Options
    'video's' would have tipped me off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business