PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    So pleased you posted Burtha - we've all been thinking of you. Hugs from me too x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Lovely to hear from you Burtha.

I've moved 20 plus times and have never had anything broken or in the wrong rooms, must have been very lucky.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The most interesting move I have made was when 3 of us moved from a flat on one side of Petersfield Square to a flat on the other side. we did it on a Saturday when we were off work, market day of course. About half a dozen of us trekked backwards and forwards, weaving between stalls and customers bearing armfuls of clothes, bedding, buckets, bowls, ironing board, brooms etc. etc. The big stuff was delivered by the mobile library. Life is a lot more boring these days.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    We once moved on the bike. Me sitting on the back holding onto a coffee table, across a junction, and we hit a cross-wind that nearly blew me off the back - nearly did some wind surfing :rotfl::rotfl:
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So glad to hear that you are ok Burtha.....things will get better, be kind to youself.

I have moved 3 times in my lifetime, all within a 5 mile area, so am horrified at you 53 times NM......it was all done in bits and pieces as there was so little distance involved.....next move will be in a box and then they will mive the skips in!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good to see you Burtha, sending love xx

I'm up at sparrow fart this morning. I blame my mother in law. She went to a lymphodaema awareness morning the other day and there was a trial session with my old zumba teacher. I'd frankly forgotten about zumba when I couldn't attend her classes. Turns out she has new classes, within a reasonable drive, so off hubby and I set last night.

Turns out when we got chatting to her, it's 10 years since we last went to her class :eek: She of course looks no older whatsoever (though that picture in her attic must be looking pretty manky right now) and she is certainly no slower or less enthusiastic. Part of the reason we always loved her classes is her boundless joy and it's infectious. So I threw myself around for an hour and was pleased to find my fitbit didn't explode with shock. In the night however, there was a distinct burning feeling in some of my muscles and I felt a little uncomfy :rotfl: I'm ok now I'm up, but maybe I am actually 10 years older!!!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March 2018 at 10:06PM
    We are off to look at two flats for DS tomorrow. I think he will have one by next week there are plenty of suitable flats for him. Not got round to inquiring for me yet but mine will only take a week or two.

softstuff of course you are. You will feel better if you go regularly it will do you good. It will probably help all other problems.

Guess what? The bungalow we were both so keen on a few weeks ago. It is back on the market and we were offered it this afternoon. If DS is going to be in town I don't want to be that far away now. I could afford it on housing benefit but of course I would lose some for bedroom tax.

meanmarie some of those moves I cannot remember and some were from one furnished flat to another so only our personal things to take with us. One dad moved us in one Saturday in the car and out again the following Saturday. A couple we just packed our cased and went on the train all paid for by the RAF.

We sent wooden packing cases to Singapore. The whole squadron was going so the men took the planes setting off on Boxing Day. Wives and families followed a few weeks later. The planes were packed on Christmas day and they forgot three packing cases. One was ours and the other two belonged to a couple who became good friends. They had a 2 year old, a 4 year old and six week old twins so she had packed all the kids summer clothes.

By the time the crates turned up again the kids had grown out of their clothes. My friend and I had had to go out the next day, after arriving in Singapore, to have dresses made as we had packed all of out summer clothes as it was December.

Our husbands had to go out and buy crockery, bed linen, towels pans etc. Luckily they were so cheap we should never have bothered with anything.

I forgot when we came back from Singapore with furniture as well as everything else there was a dockers strike at Liverpool and we were months getting our crates off the docks.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Here's to head down and plodding on Burtha. It's when we can't do that that we have to worry. Head down but chin up pet.

NM after so long of barriers wouldn't it be fantastic if the way could be paved within weeks! :D 53 moves NM? Crikey! Meanmarie I'm sure there won't be a skip in sight ;)

Today is a good day. I can finally say that I have gone all day without a pain in my arm or shoulder :D I just have to get rid of the electric shocks in my chest when I push my luck but it will come I'm sure, they decrease day by day. I'm on the mend I think but I shall be meandering through life for a good while yet.

All I managed today was to pot on my celeriac seedlings. I have such love and hope for them. I haven't seen Mr Pea Seedling so I can't report on his pea seedling germination. :D
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    That's nice to hear fuddsy xx
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2018 at 9:34AM
    Happy Spring Equinox! Squeeeeeee! Hope of sun and smiles are here. :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income