Forumite
    Gamblers do.........
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Gamblers can use credit cards...
    Not that they should

Oddly I can't convince a friend to switch from betting on horses to holding shares, he thinks the shares are more risky lol (certainly not!)
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Who needs cash nowadays?

Me, thanks for offering.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,096
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Gamblers can use credit cards...
    Not that they should

Debit cards surely?
  • henm2
    henm2 Posts: 721
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ''And its people like them that slow the cashier branch closures.

Be careful what you wish for.''

In my experience busy counters do not slow down branch closures. I have known many busy counter branches which have since closed.

For a bank counter transactions are more costly to process than machine based ones. The transactions that make money for bank branches are such things as personal loans, overdrafts, credit cards, mortgages not counter transactions,

Everyday transactions can be done easily by machine, online banking, mobile banking and telephone banking. No need to use a branch counter.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 September 2016 at 6:30PM
    And don't whinge and moan when the branch has been closed because everybody is using the machines, as directed, instead of the counter staff, making them superfluous to requirements.:)

Oh please be realistic, your one man crusade won't make a difference, the world is going more automated like it or not. Remember the Luddites?

Folk still buy candles - yet we have electic lights
    Folk buy newspapers (WHY?) - yet we have TV/Internet
    Folk go to the cinema - yet we have home entertainment

There are less staff in banks now than there were 10/20/30 yrs ago. The same arguement was thrown when ATMs were introduced.

Like it or not it will happen, the high street bank as we know it today will be somewhat different in 5 - 10yrs time.

And to go back to the OP, staff are trying to help. And those who do help do not choose how the company is being run. They make do with what they have.
  • Thanks for my replies. I know all the banks in Glastonbury closed down. I wish all the banks to stay in my local town. I will try out the banking machine at Halifax. I could also transfer the money on-line from TSB.
  • Just think, if there are no branches left, then there won't be any future Howard Brown's and Thomas's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVGvWGyh7wg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX_XaLmCIS0

I guess we'll just have to make do with Cartoon Cats and Customers from now on :)
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
  • Just thought I'd butt in as I work in a bank behind the counter/in the banking hall and unfortunately whilst I can't find an excuse if the staff speak to you rudely it's not our choice to ask, 'walking the queue' to see who we can get to use the machines is part of our job. To be fair I couldn't care less whether a customer uses the machine or sees me at the counter I'm being paid to be there regardless, and by the time counter staff are ruled out I hope not to be one! But all banks are going for 'digital' these days we are told we have to encourage every customer who can use the machines to do so and to teach those who can't so I don't really think it matters who you bank with they will all be counterless eventually!
  • Just thought I'd butt in as I work in a bank behind the counter/in the banking hall and unfortunately whilst I can't find an excuse if the staff speak to you rudely it's not our choice to ask, 'walking the queue' to see who we can get to use the machines is part of our job. To be fair I couldn't care less whether a customer uses the machine or sees me at the counter I'm being paid to be there regardless, and by the time counter staff are ruled out I hope not to be one! But all banks are going for 'digital' these days we are told we have to encourage every customer who can use the machines to do so and to teach those who can't so I don't really think it matters who you bank with they will all be counterless eventually!

I was in a branch of Santander recently and a very helpful member of staff took me through the procedure of lodging a cheque in one of their new-style machines. I was intending to lodge the cheque at the counter, but this particular branch seems to have done away with teller counters. I have to say that the machine was very easy to use but it was nevertheless great to be shown what to do by such a charming assistant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure