Full ISA Guide Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kurenka wrote: »
    First of all apologies if this has already been covered...

I currently have a Help to Buy ISA and I have a house purchase going through in the next month or 2.
    If I pay into my H2B ISA in the 2018/19 Tax Year then close it, can I open a new ISA and start making payments into that in the same tax year, or would the fact that I've already paid into an ISA stop me from doing that even though it has since been closed?
    See MSE <Top Cash ISAs> Section 5.

The rules say only one per tax year but it seems there is a way around them.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • chrisward49
    chrisward49 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 15 April 2018 at 2:42PM
    Options
    I have opened a Nationwide isa at 1.3% for this year but have not yet paid in any money, I have now seen the Tesco Isa for 1.6% with a 0.50% bonus which would give me a better return. Can I cancel the Nationwide??
  • Consumerist
    edited 15 April 2018 at 4:09PM
    Options
    I have opened a Nationwide isa at 1.3% for this year but have not yet paid in any money, I have now seen the Tesco Isa for 1.6% with a 0.50% bonus which would give me a better return. Can I cancel the Nationwide??
    Yes.

As far as HMRC is concerned, an ISA is not "open" until you have paid money or transferred funds into it.

So far, you have only opened the account which you can just ignore providing you do not contribute to it this year. Leave it open or close it as you wish.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    I have now seen the Tesco Isa for 1.6% with a 0.50% bonus which would give me a better return.

Where have you seen this? There is no ISA for 1.6% on Tesco's site as far as I can see.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Are you sure you are not misreading 1.16% on Tesco's flexible ISA as 1.6% ?
  • chrisward49
    Options
    Sorry yes my mistake is it 1.16% I missed the 1 out !!!
  • bobby1000
    bobby1000 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, hoping that someone can help me. I have been looking online for a few days now and a bit stumped.

I am currently in a SAYE share scheme with my employer. I have opted for the three year scheme and it ends in July. I'm in a fortunate position that the share price has almost doubled.

In order to be as tax efficient as possible I want to transfer to an ISA - the Gov UK site states that in order not to pay any capital gains tax I need to transfer my shares within 90 days - however after contacting several investment providers non of them have told me that this service is available.

Can anyone help me on this? I am really new to this world so a bit stumped as to what to do...can anyone recommend any traders that they know offer this or how I actually do this!
  • david4321
    david4321 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ISA rates are currently so poor, that you can get a higher net rate from a non-ISA account, even if you have so much interest that you pay tax on it. For example today, the best one-year fixed account is 1.49% for an ISA, but for non-ISA it's 2.00% gross, which is 1.60% net after tax for basic rate taxpayers. I don't know why nearly all banks have much worse rates for ISA than for non-ISA.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    david4321 wrote: »
    ISA rates are currently so poor, that you can get a higher net rate from a non-ISA account, even if you have so much interest that you pay tax on it. For example today, the best one-year fixed account is 1.49% for an ISA, but for non-ISA it's 2.00% gross, which is 1.60% net after tax for basic rate taxpayers. I don't know why nearly all banks have much worse rates for ISA than for non-ISA.

But not everyone is a basic rate taxpayer.
  • Consumerist
    Options
    david4321 wrote: »
    . . . I don't know why nearly all banks have much worse rates for ISA than for non-ISA.
    Perhaps because ISAs cost more to manage than non-ISAs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback