PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Fire Safety - Communal Areas

Hi all,

I am the director of a company that owns the freehold for a building with 3 flats in it. I am one of the flat owners and I have recently appointed the owners of the other 2 flat owners as directors.

One owner has said she thinks we need to have a fire risk assessment for the communal areas (stairs, hallway and landing). I wasn't so sure. We're getting some radio linked smoke detectors for each floor but I don't know what else we legally need. Is there any guidance for a situation like ours? I'm struggling to find legislation for situations where the leaseholders are also the freeholders. I'm trying to avoid us needing to shell out ~£150 for a risk assessment. There's only a hallway and stairs, how much can you really do?

The house was converted into flats in the 1980's.

Thanks!

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 May 2018 at 1:06PM
    I don't know the answer to your question, although perhaps your local authority can help, but I can't see why the fact that the leaseholders are also the freeholders would make any difference: fire safety in communal areas must surely be a responsibility of [STRIKE]leaseholders[/STRIKE] freeholders, whoever they are.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,288
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    On this specific question...
    Strebor123 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find legislation for situations where the leaseholders are also the freeholders.

There will not be any specific legislation relating to that.

As joint freeholders, all legislation relating to freeholders applies to you.

As a leaseholder, all legislation relating to leaseholders applies to you.

Here's an overview of a freeholder's responsibilities for fire safety in buildings containing flats: https://www.lease-advice.org/article/health-safety-in-buildings-containing-flats-obligations-and-who-pays/
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to your question, although perhaps your local authority can help, but I can't see why the fact that the leaseholders are also the freeholders would make any difference: fire safety in communal areas must surely be a responsibility of leaseholders, whoever they are.
    Don't you mean a responsibility of freeholders? It makes a difference because the only parties who have an interest in enforcing the responsibilities of the freeholders are the leaseholders. If they're just the same people wearing different hats and none of them actually cares then there's not a great deal of point in them bringing in external consultants.

If however you're a third party freeholder who has a "close working relationship" with a fire safety consultant then I imagine it's very important that you charge the leaseholders for an expensive report about the bleeding obvious...
  • Strebor123
    Strebor123 Posts: 100
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Eddddy. I've had a read through that and it says that !!!8220;!!!8230;take such general fire precautions as may reasonably be required in the circumstances of the case to ensure that the premises are safe!!!8221;.

Does anybody know what defines "reasonable"? There are no communal doors aside from the front door. We could get a CO2 and foam extinguisher put in the hallway.

The other doors are floors to each owners flat. Do all these doors legally have to be fire doors?

I think the other person is just concerned that if we somehow don't comply with fire safety legislation then if there is a fire the insurance won't cover us.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In the past I have always found the local fire officer a good source of information,locally they can arrange visits and advise in these types of situations where there are only a few properties and it is certainly a better option than going down the formal route of a written fire assessment.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think the other person is just concerned that if we somehow don't comply with fire safety legislation then if there is a fire the insurance won't cover us.
    Unless there's a condition in your policy which actually says that, then they're wrong.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The RRO says:
    The fire safety risk assessment duty of the !!!8220;responsible person!!!8221; is to evaluate the risk to people from fire, taking into account existing fire safety measures and to determine whether additional measures are necessary.
    In your position I would get one or more of the joint freehlders to take on the role and produce a short written report. Google for examples. No need to employ anyone for such a small building - mostly it's common sense.

Asking the Fire brigade to visit /advise might be a good idea.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    The other doors are floors to each owners flat. Do all these doors legally have to be fire doors?

Yes. But cannot be applied retrospectively, but should be mentioned on the risk assessment so that if the doors are ever changed they can be upgraded to full fire doors.

£150 for an assessment seems quite reasonable, £50 per leaseholder.
  • Strebor123
    Strebor123 Posts: 100
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    teneighty wrote: »
    Yes. But cannot be applied retrospectively, but should be mentioned on the risk assessment so that if the doors are ever changed they can be upgraded to full fire doors.

£150 for an assessment seems quite reasonable, £50 per leaseholder.

Well. Just because it's not a lot per leaseholder, doesn't mean we really want to pay for someone. Especially since it is literally a hallway and landing and nothing else.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Don't you mean a responsibility of freeholders?

Yes, sorry, got my lease and free confused. I will correct my post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure