The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Faulty jeans

Hi all,

I am after your advice please.

I bought some jeans at the end of December from a well known high street retailer, in store. I didn’t try the jeans on in store but they were my normal size, 26 inch waist and 30 inch length.

When I went to wear them at home they seemed quite small but I put it down to me potentially having put on a bit of weight and didn’t think much more of it. Because they were so tight though I have only wore them a couple of times.

Then at the weekend I thought I would compare them with the same style and size jeans that my sister has. When I did, I could see that my jeans were in fact at least an inch smaller both round the waist and the legs.

To me, this suggests that the jeans aren’t as described (they are not the size they say they are) so are elegible for a refund. When I took them back to the store they said because I have worn them (albeit only a couple of times) and it’s not a manufacturing fault, I’m not entitled to a refund.

Before I call customer services and wait 41 minutes(!!!) to speak to someone, I wanted your advice based on your experience.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    How many inches is the waist?

Honestly this far along you could have shrunk them...
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How do you know that your sisters pair is not oversized?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,874
    Forumite
    No chance. You could have tried them on in the store or at any time in the last five months.

Have you actually measured them to see if they are 26 inches in the waist, or have you just compared them to another arbitrary pair of jeans?
  • milo48
    milo48 Posts: 11
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I took them into store and measured them against a few pairs there which were all noticeably bigger. The store assistant agreed that my jeans were smaller but said it wasn’t a manufacturing fault (which I disagree with as it’s down to how they were made).

From what I have read if the item is returned within 6 months it’s up to the retailer to prove it wasn’t faulty when it was purchased, and the basis I was going on was that it was as described, so eligible for a refund.

Grateful for your input!
  • milo48
    milo48 Posts: 11
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    *wasn’t as described!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Rather than measure them against other pairs of jeans, did you (or the store assistant) actually measure them with a tape measure?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,874
    Forumite
    milo48 wrote: »
    I took them into store and measured them against a few pairs there which were all noticeably bigger. The store assistant agreed that my jeans were smaller but said it wasn’t a manufacturing fault (which I disagree with as it’s down to how they were made).
    But that's just measuring them against other arbitrary pairs of jeans. Measure them with a tape measure. They might very well be exactly the size they say they are, which would leave you with no case.

If you haven't got a tape measure, measure with string and measure the string on ruler lengths.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As most women will tell you, clothing size labels are completely arbitrary, they often bear no relation to the item’s actual size. In my wardrobe, I have items ranging from size 6 to size 12.....all of which fit me perfectly well.

I have two pairs of jeans, bought from the same range, in the same shop (New Look) on the same day. Both are labelled as size 8. The blue pair are very snug, but the black pair are much bigger, I have to wear them with a belt to stop them from falling down!

Always, always try clothes on, if they don’t fit, get a bigger/smaller size. The labels mean nothing!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport