The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    greenbee wrote: »
    Sheep would be better :D They're cute and fluffy (sometimes). Probably higher maintenance though...

I'm not responsible enough for sheep :D Neighbour has offered to loan us a few cows for a bit to keep the grass down :D :rotfl: and I'm booked on a scything course in June :D

Love the idea of fun and opportunity-based gadding about :D I am working at home and already fighting the urge to put my wellies on and get outside. Have put my heeled boots on to encourage me to stay at my desk - can't get across the muddy garden in them so I'm basically trapped until I change my shoes - which takes enough effort to remind me that I should be working... ;):D :rotfl:

Have a good day! :)
  • Well, we have been round and about to see how far it was, and it was just far enough.

Can I ask a question of all you techno-whizzy people who do online banking stuff. If you had a mystery amount of money appear in your bank account, are you allowed to query with the bank where it has originated from? Well, I suppose I wonder if they will tell you? An amount of money, has appeared and it's out of any logical context of any payments that we were expecting from any source. How easy is it for an originator to mistakenly send money elsewhere - ie, you're trying to pay the gas bill, but you send a chunk of dosh to your online wine retailer instead........ As you can gather, I am something of a luddite, and don't do finances online, so I'm not sure what can go wrong.....

I got asked if I was a 'trained childminder' today which I thought was really, really, really odd - given who was asking the question. I didn't think that I knew him, but later it dawned on me that it might have been the same senior citizen that I saw in another part of town, and he asked me if I was BG's grandmother - and said I walked very fast...... That happened a few weeks ago, and I didn't see the bloke's face very well that time, as I was walking past/away from him, whereas today he approached me. Put it this way, in one way I hope it was the same bloke, otherwise there are two blokes asking very odd questions of mothers in Greying Town. I do wish they would give consideration to how they affect their 'target'. I began to wonder whether he was being sarcastic and whether he was implying that i was doing something wrong with BG - I don't think I was, we were just having a toddle, and chatting about something that was going on across the street from us. BG was safely under my control, we weren't blocking the pavement, nor interferring with anyone's right of way. Very odd.

BG is having a snooze, having toddled quite far, and eaten a substantial lunch.........

i need to organise some paperwork and generally tidy my desk. I've been getting immersed in a couple of projects of late, and the aftermath is showing!

Right, mustache!

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,300/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend March £247.85/215  Charity Blankets completed 1/24
    Grocery spend April £7.39/215
    Non-food household spend April £12.94
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Can I ask a question of all you techno-whizzy people who do online banking stuff. If you had a mystery amount of money appear in your bank account, are you allowed to query with the bank where it has originated from? Well, I suppose I wonder if they will tell you? An amount of money, has appeared and it's out of any logical context of any payments that we were expecting from any source. How easy is it for an originator to mistakenly send money elsewhere - ie, you're trying to pay the gas bill, but you send a chunk of dosh to your online wine retailer instead........ As you can gather, I am something of a luddite, and don't do finances online, so I'm not sure what can go wrong.....

I'd ring the bank and see - I've done this before and they can tell you what they know, but often that's just a trading name which is no help (I'd paid out to someone I'd then forgotten about :o :rotfl: ) I'm not sure, but I suspect it's pretty easy to send money to the wrong place just getting a digit wrong in the account number or something :eek: which is presumably why they always tell you to check and double check as they can't always retrieve it... How mysterious! Hope it turns out to be a present that was intended for you after all :D

As for the man asking strange questions, how very disconcerting for you :eek: Is it possible that he's a bit confused and just trying to make conversation, rather than deliberately acting weirdly?? Some people just literally have no idea - I had a man at work who I vaguely know in a work capacity ask me to send them pictures of our new house lately. Not even in the context of the conversation :eek: I'm pretty sure he thought he was just trying to be polite but I thought it was a bit weird myself... I am absolutely sure that you were NOT doing anything wrong with BG, either this time or before!
  • I'd ring the bank and see

Sage advice Cheery. The bank have (eventually) been able to determine who sent the money (i had complete faith that they would as i waited on hold......... :p), now for the difficult bit....... the "why". It's an odd amount and out of all context. Ho hum..........

As for the man asking strange questions, how very disconcerting for you :eek: Is it possible that he's a bit confused and just trying to make conversation, rather than deliberately acting weirdly??

The more consideration I give it, the more I'm convinced it is one and the same person. Given his appearance, and I know you mustn't go on appearances, I would lean much more towards the 'trying to make conversation with someone'. Which is OK, and can be justified and explained, and, and, and..... It's just..... I'm not the right person, and he's succeeding in undermining what shred of confidence I have as a parent. Ho hum.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 April 2018 at 6:11PM
    GP - if you are looking for a rather scrummy way to use up your mushroom, my OH made this on Monday night & I'd have eaten the mushrooms & toast just on their own!

...you just know we used plain white mushrooms right...
    ...we are not that posh and unless they are yellow stickered fancy mushrooms don't enter our house!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 5 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Good Evening :hello:
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    GP - if you are looking for a rather scrummy way to use up your mushroom, my OH made this on Monday night & I'd have eaten the mushrooms & toast just on their own!

...you just know we used plain white mushrooms right...
    ...we are not that posh and unless they are yellow stickered fancy mushrooms don't enter our house!

Scrummo indeed rtandon :D I wonder how far behind the English Asparagus season may be due to the cold weather. This hot, hot,hot, couple of days will make grass bolt, not grow :(

So, we've solved a mystery today, given ourselves a complex :(, done some chores :T , read a story with audience participation and wrangled some money into savings, hither and yon. Hither and yon. And toddled about a bit :T

For tea tonight we ended up having scampi 'bites' (bought from h3r0n for 99p a bag), HM sweet potato fries, steamed green beans and 'st clements' mayonnaise. All that was, was mayo, combined with the zest from a lemon and a clementine, with juice added from both until it thinned a little. A dollop of greek yoghurt thrown in, along with some salt and pepper. I have to say, (without wanting to appear to be big-headed) that it was utterly delish, and just the right accompaniment to the fish and the fries. Used up what I had, didn't make the house too hot with the oven on (although the cook was a different matter :o), and yielded clean plates from the adults (BG had something different to eat).

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

Sunshine

sage counsel

progress
    - of all kinds :D

Ta for popping in, and supporting me and for wafting delicious recipes right under my nose :D Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,062
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That mayo sounds spot on.

I have been awash with reduced mushrooms this week (hurrah, love them) and marinated some which worked well, and was good in this glorious weather. I cobbled a recipe together so no link as such but essentially: wipe, quarter or half if they are big. Equal quantities of vinegar and oil in a pan (I did 100ml of each, balsamic as that is what I had) a finely sliced onion, spoon of brown sugar, some garlic and a sprinkle of mixed herbs. Took the liquid up to the boil, then added the mushrooms and simmered for ten minutes. Was lovely cold the next day, spooned over a pan fried slice of stale tiger bread.
  • I know what I forgot to mention.

I had been having thoughts about quitting donating to the local foodbank, as the new avenue for donations didn't seem to be anymore routinely passed on to where it was required, than by any other means that I had tried. Plus, when I took a peek in the box at the start of the week, there was alot of................ um, well, I think people had just been passing on unwanted christmas/easter products, not necessarily looking to see what was on the 'most wanted' list.

Anyway, for some reason I looked at the 'most wanted' list again, on the FB website, today, and saw that it had changed, and there was a new set of items. As it happened, I had one of the items - unopened, and in plenty of date, in my stores. Given that I have an opened version of this product, with plenty left, and well out of date in my cupboard, I decided to donate the new, unopened one. I also picked up some good quality packet soups (requested as a current most wanted) at a good price, and took my donation along to the collection point today. I was delighted that the previous 'box' load of stuff - to which I donated - had been collected, and so that meant that BG and I could have a bit of fun popping our donation into the box to start the process off, all over again.

I found all this very satisfying. I give what I can (which isn't much), but i do get so frustrated when I see it all hanging about for weeks on end - waiting for either collection or delivery. Either foodbanks are needed, or they are not. There is no wishy-washy half-way point where people without resources can hang around, wringing their hands, until someone decides it's time to re-stock the shelves of the distribution centre.

I'm hopeful that this collection point will continue to operate and that we can add our donations to it for the forseeable. Which will enable me to contribute to a charitable cause which is important to me, in a sustainable manner.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• I have been awash with reduced mushrooms this week (hurrah, love them) and marinated some which worked well, and was good in this glorious weather. I cobbled a recipe together so no link as such but essentially: wipe, quarter or half if they are big. Equal quantities of vinegar and oil in a pan (I did 100ml of each, balsamic as that is what I had) a finely sliced onion, spoon of brown sugar, some garlic and a sprinkle of mixed herbs. Took the liquid up to the boil, then added the mushrooms and simmered for ten minutes. Was lovely cold the next day, spooned over a pan fried slice of stale tiger bread.

I've only ever made a cold mushroom dish once - for a 'dinner party' when DH and I were first together, and entertaining in such a way seemed so important...... I made Mushrooms Phillipe, and have no clue where the recipe came from and no clue as to what was involved :D But I do remember that it was the surprise 'hit' of the evening, with a confirmed carnivore eating the largest helping. funny how such silly memories stick, and yet you can't remember where you put your keys........ Mushrooms are so versatile though. Love them when we have them at the towers. Lucky you redo having lots of YS'd ones to work with :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Glad the collection point has been emptied for the FB.
    You would be amazed at what is donated :- half used, out of date ect.
    People though in the main are very generous.

Have a lovely weekend.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure