Help converting from Electric to Gas?

Options
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. Im interested in buying a property thats purely run on electric. I have found out from the estate agents and the owner that both properties at either side of the apartment have gas and if i bought the property, id like to follow suit.
My main issue is, I don't know where to begin with it all and i'm hoping that someone here has been through the same process. I called the gas board hoping they would shine some light on it but they were ultimately hopeless as I need to own the property before they can talk to me about it.
I know costs would vary depending on getting the meter installed, radiators, shower etc but a rough price idea would be advantageous and help me decided to buy the place or not.
In my head, i'm thinking it'll between £5000-£8000 from start to finish, (ripping up whatever needs to be ripped up and put back in place). but im plucking that number nearly out of thin air.

thanks in advanced.
P

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 9:31PM
    Options
    You are probably in the right ball park costwise although the unknown is how much it would cost to lay on the gas.

It might be worth having a chat with your prospective neighbours to see where it comes in and where the meters are situated. What do the building owners or management company have to say about it?

If it needs a meter in the basement and you require a pipe run from it to the 17th floor then that's a different proposition to having a meter box in cupboard on the landing outside your front door fed from an existing main.

You'll also need a suitable place inside to mount the boiler on an outside wall so the flue can exit and somewhere for the condensate to drain into.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The gas board? They haven't existed for about thirty years now...
    Bear in mind that, assuming this is a leasehold property, you will probably need the freeholders consent to run the supply in.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    well obviously you need a quote from a plumber and someone to add a gas supply.

Not easy if you don't own the house.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    You will need to get the 'gas board' involved, 100% i.e. the network operator.

It's their network so you cant just get any old Joe Bloggs involved. There will probably be only the network operator and a few approved companies that can do it.

A plumber can work on a gas central heating supply up to the meter, but past that, you will need to get the operator in.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paspicer wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. Im interested in buying a property thats purely run on electric. I have found out from the estate agents and the owner that both properties at either side of the apartment have gas and if i bought the property, id like to follow suit.
    My main issue is, I don't know where to begin with it all and i'm hoping that someone here has been through the same process. I called the gas board hoping they would shine some light on it but they were ultimately hopeless as I need to own the property before they can talk to me about it.
    I know costs would vary depending on getting the meter installed, radiators, shower etc but a rough price idea would be advantageous and help me decided to buy the place or not.
    In my head, i'm thinking it'll between £5000-£8000 from start to finish, (ripping up whatever needs to be ripped up and put back in place). but im plucking that number nearly out of thin air.

thanks in advanced.
    P

You start with a survey which you will most likely have to pay for. The surveyor will then check on the nearest connection point and calculate the likely cost of the connection and piping to run the gas to your appliances. Likely a component of the building survey if you specify it. Ultimately gas connections and the pipelines through which gas is provided is controlled by the National Grid:
    https://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/gas
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport