When to stop financially supporting adult kids

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We help our daughter and her family out quite often

Not huge amounts, we aren't rich, but Id rather help her out now when she needs it rather then sit hoarding money to leave her when we die

Hopefully by time we have shuffled off this mortal coil, she herself will be in a better place, kids out at school or working, so she too can work
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi there,

Just for clarification as people are asking, we weren't talking treats as such, more like regular living costs: Rent, food .. for a mid 20 year old
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We do, three adult children.
    Middle child, struggling to establish a career in the arts, needs the. OST support. Given on am monthly basis.
    Middle child, earns ten times average wage. They will willingly help out the above from time to time as they see the surplus earnings as a family resource to be spread around to ensure we are all ok.
    Youngest, still also in mid twenties, just starting in a good profession. Living rent free till he finds a house.

It!!!8217;s tough and I look around at what our friends can do with their lives, rarely do I resent it. Only number one will need help for much longer but Oh will be retiring soon.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just for clarification as people are asking, we weren't talking treats as such, more like regular living costs: Rent, food .. for a mid 20 year old

Unless in some way vulnerable - definitely not.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I was a child once so here's how it was for me.

Once I left for university when I was 19 my parents loaned me money a couple of times in my early twenties to help with car purchases when I wanted to get cars that were only six years old rather than the under £500 bangers that I had been running, and I repaid them by standing order over a couple of years,

Before university I lived with them paying fairly cheap rent (£25/week including food and laundry, in the 1980s) from after my A levels during my "year off", that I spent working full time. I paid for my own car (purchase, maintenance, insurance etc)

Outright cash gifts or help with living costs after leaving home? No.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Son bought his first house last year and because as he's earning not a lot, we've helped out with little things like TV licence and buying him bits and bobs for the house.

If I've been out shopping and seen a BOGOF offer that I know he'd use I've bought it for him but it's not a regular thing.

Fortunately it looks like he will be changing jobs soon to a much higher paid one so that's when I think I'll stop.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One person's "financially supporting" is another's "helping out". For our family, the helping out is a lifelong thing: It could be hard cash in the form of an interest-free loan, or a donation to help with a move or major bill, or an invite to come on holiday free of charge. All of those have been done by us or for us, with our parents and children. We're lucky enough to have a bit of spare cash these days, so why wouldn't we want to make life a little easier for those we love?
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »

In this situation, I'd help with initial landlords deposit, or maybe legal or removal costs, but would expect them to choose a place they could afford. I may pick up the tab for a few bits of grocery shopping, or give a bit of cash towards a bill but would only tend to step in if there were an unexpected cost like a large repair bill, or sudden decrease in income.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As the youngest child in my family i have always found this to be a hot topic.

My two oldest siblings both regularly receive financial and "other" support (free childcare ect) on a weekly basis, but my sibling just above me (3rd) had to move back home last year due to the breakdown of a 10 year relationship, resulting in her having to leave her work and move over 100 miles to start afresh - and has had nothing but aggro from the parents about it.

Two oldest aren't responsible, cant hold jobs down or relationships. Prioritise nights out instead of their children.

3rd works hard, saves her money, and is trying to build her life back up after a real low. she hopes to move out soon. Parents are "cutting her off" from financial help - so making her pay additional rent, own food, and the like, making it harder for her to save to move out...

Personally, i think it depends on the efforts being made by the child. Im the youngest, got some help to clear some debt when buying a house, but since i was 18 i have worked full time, paid rent every month, never borrowed from them until i was gifted this money.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    My dad paid my rent and a small allowance at university (no fees!); I've not asked for anything since. I lived at home for peppercorn rent for a few months in between jobs in my early 20s, which was helpful, but it was definitely temporary.

I personally think the only circumstances in which adult offspring should receive regular income from parents are:

-if studying for a qualification that will genuinely enhance their career prospects, or is truly vocational and life-changing
    -if recovering from a health or other crisis (ie a small business with customers that haven't paid, complicated divorce)

If adults need regular financial assistance something is wrong with their lifestyle or life choices. What if the parents suddenly become ill or have to retire early?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport