GBP to Dollars

Hello,

I'm a bit of a novice at this and really unsure of how I go and convent my money. Times before I have just used Debenhams but now I've looked on money comparison websites where they say they want a direct bank transfer of money(travelfx travel money) and the travel debit card (Weswap) but never used that before. Has any one used travelFX or Weswap before. If so how was it? I see on the travel credit cards are mentioned but really don't want to do that and if any one has any other hints and tips that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

It's a debit card, not credit.

If you want to change to US$ before you arrive; https://www.revolut.com
    You can search for a promo link in order to receive the card for free. The caveat with this method, will be that you can only withdraw US$200 per month for free. Purchases cost nothing.

The biggest problem you will have in refusing to carry a credit card, will be hotel deposits, fuel etc
    The hotel/petrol station will put a hold on your money wherein you won't have access to it for up to two weeks.
  • Seanp
    Seanp Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 19 August 2019 at 2:49PM
    Thank you luckily all hotel payments have been paid and I don't need money for fuel(all public transport for me) At the moment I want to give a pre-card/Debit card first to give it a try and use for uber so I don't get charged twice. I will have a look at those.

Has any one here used Weswap at all and have any good/bad reviews about them. I had a friend tell me about them. I love him to death but he has been scammed before. The reviews look good on trustpilot but wanted to see other peoples views.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    WeSwap is unnecessary complication, having to exchange in advance at less than perfect rates, then change back again what you don't use.

Keep your money in pounds until each transaction with the simplicity of the Starling Bank account, Monzo as backup.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The hotel will still want a card to swipe. Mini bar /bar tab/ damage etc
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Has any one got any reviews on the starling bank? I see lots of good review but there are some bad ones in the mix.

Thanks
  • Seanp wrote: »
    Has any one got any reviews on the starling bank? I see lots of good review but there are some bad ones in the mix.

Thanks

Used all the time for loads of trips- never any issue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family