Iceland Car hire and your credit card - charge for replacement car

i was in Iceland recently and they have some unique rental rules due to their landscape.

the standard excess was about £2000 but i was told there is no cover for:-

1. rolling the vehicle
2. damage caused whilst driving through a river

there were a few others.

i asked what happens if i rolled the vehicle and the response was that they would claim the money off my credit card company. i said that it would only be to the limit of the card but i was told they would reclaim to the value of a new vehicle and i would have to deal with my credit card company.

this is only a hypothetical scenario as the car was fine but my question is can a rental company charge more than the limit on my credit card?

surely not but i am hoping someone on here can elaborate

thanks

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not sure of the answer where such a large value is involved, but it would be an interesting question for those with the best knowledge if posed on the Credit Cards board.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    That is why you purchase a standalone policy with CDW included, not just excess. In this case; https://www.bettersafe.com/car-hire-excess-insurance

But you have to stick to the rules of the car hire company. So if in the car rental contract it states "no off-road", then you won't be covered for off roading in the standalone policy.
  • woodentom
    woodentom Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i have a excess car hire policy and have had for many years.

i think my question is more relating to can the rental company actually obtain more than your credit card limit from your provider if you write a car off.

i will go onto the credit card section of the forum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport