The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Where to buy a kitten?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,050
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you really want a kitten - have two
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Is there a local cat rescue / cat charity near you? We have an rspca near here but also a small charity run by a couple of cat lovers. Do a web search.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »
    If you really want a kitten - have two

This! I have 22 month old brother & sister, they came to me at 9 1/2 weeks and i'm so glad I had two. They used to play non stop, in ways us humans can't. Even now, they still sleep curled up together most nights. Also, one alone, if bored would be even harder work! At least when I was tired playing mine would entertain each other
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    I've had kittens before and they are so much work. The cat we have now we adopted from a shelter when he was around 1.5-2 years old. He's still very playful as he is young, but we know he can trusted to stay home alone and not hurt himself or burn the house down.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,857
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is she prepared for being scratched and bitten? Kittens are not always cuddly.

If you go to a rescue they will know the feisty , aloof ones and the ones that like to snuggle.

Rescues may have kittens but not advertise them. I know with pups there is usually a waiting list and they are spoken for without advertising.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,050
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When I picked out Kizzie last Autumn (or rather when she picked me) I had an initial choice of two - a week later they were full having had a delivery from another centre.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I got an older kitten from a rescue 18 moths ago and he was perfect for us

Neutered and litter trained and growing out of the clawing and scrabbing stage but still playful and daft as a brush

He was estimated as being about 5 months when we took him on. That was the vets estimate.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Above all else the answer to your first question is a definite 'No'
    Please don't buy any pets online- that's what contributes to illegal smuggling- especially for puppies.

If you are going to have a pet as a companion for many happy years, which is what we all hope, then worth a bit of searching and waiting. You may well have your young cat or kitten for at least 15 years..
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone.

She has her heart set on a baby, so 8 weeks old. It will be left alone for short periods, my mum gets to my house during the day.

I wouldn't mind a young one, as in up to a year, but I can see it from a 9 year olds point of view.

We lost our dog in January, she wants something to cuddle and love and tell her problems too. A dog isn't practical at the moment, so this is a compromise.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    She has her heart set on a baby, so 8 weeks old

As long as you understand that under 3 months they will require 4 evenly spaced meals a day so someone has to be with them then good look.

12 weeks is the optimum rehoming age.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport