Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,867 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Toothpaste for cats - you're braver than me! :D

It's all sounding very positive KK, impressive savings figures!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have a confession to make...I've been spending money like water today.

It started with arriving 1.5hours early for my meeting in the midlands so had a McDonald's breakfast to kill time. After the meeting I headed home for the evening and then got a cab to the train station (can claim back from work!) and headed up to the Cumbria..I bought a book at the station, a coffee followed by some shortbread. When I finally arrived here the hotel advised the restaurant was closed and room service not until 11pm..so I splashed out on a haggis supper for £3.50.

All silly rather frivolous spends through lack of preparing, I've got meetings here tomorrow and then the long train home so will have to get dinner on route home as won't arrive until 10pm.

will try and find a supermarket for drinks/snacks for train journey tomorrow instead of exorbitant prices at train stations!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Work travel can end up costing me a fortune too. I try and take as much food and snacks as I can, but hot drinks scupper me. A cup of tea on the train is £2.30, which annoys me ( but doesn't annoy me enough to cart a flask with me, along with everything else I have to carry ! ) Expenses only covers food, and drinks taken with food. They don't cover drinks on their own, so sometimes I buy a cheeky Kitkat just so I can claim it back : )
  • Kittenkirst
    It's so tricky isn't it Busymee- I refilled my water bottle and took crisps with me but due to the time of traveling I needed proper food- I'm hoping I can claim that back at least.

Got back at 10pm last night and therefore I'm still laid in bed resting; I booked a day off as gf has a hospital appointment (routine one) and I had thought I'd be a little on the tired side.

Regular saver came out so another £300 into the savings pot, which is giving me some comfort now as I always feel underprepared without a small safety net of savings.

Customer is coming to pick up her braceket order tonight as she initially ordered the wrong size- I've only charged a nominal amount for my time for the rework (it's been made smaller so no additional silver, just polishing, soldering and time really to cover.

Kittens are growing so much!! Oscar is getting quite heavy but Hugo is still the baby! I've popped more piccies on Insta:

https://instagram.com/p/BUPyjK2l5mH/
    https://instagram.com/p/BUPxjakl02U/
    https://instagram.com/p/BUPyX6-lyVw/

They are still right little tinkers :heartpuls

39p tilly tidied to the mortgage too so not too bad a week. Hoping to get spends back to normal now that I'm home. We also have 1.5 weeks off from Thursday so hoping for some time to recharge.
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,867 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Gorgeous pics of the kitties KK :)

You can't beat the peace of mind that some savings brings, totally agree there.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Lovely photos of the boys :) I especially love the one of you holding him like a baby... won't be long until it takes two arms to hold him like that! They look so content and happy sleeping next to each other x

Well done on the savings by the way... I see you're making great progress and have upped the target :)
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • Kittenkirst
    First weekend away since having the kittens- we have gf's mum popping in 2x a day for food/water and cuddles whilst we are away but we are both missing them a lot!

Came to London for the London 7's- went as Where's Wallies which seemed to go down well and met the gf's brother & family there. Not too much spent: alll budgeted for in the 'entertainment' budget :) we're debating what to do today, possibly just spend time with gf's nephews and family around the house. It's a glorious day today which makes up for all that rain yesterday!!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have a great day, love the photos they are sooooo cute :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Kittenkirst
    So yesterday we headed into Guildford and wandered around for a few hours then had a cheap brunch out. We then went back to gf's family and played games with the kids and raced around the gardens- such fun!

Today I'm working from central London this morning and have the afternoon off (as time off in lieu for all that travel in my time last week) and being treated to a lunch out with friends and then will mosey on home!

Looking forward to seeing the kittens this evening- missed them so much but know heyve been in good hands with the gf's parents!
  • Kittenkirst
    Ps forgot to add £5 cashback received from TSB for contactless transactions so have swept that across to the mortgage as well as a 96p tilly tidy....it all helps!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback