20 weeks pregnant and threatened with redundancy or pay off

Hi all please help as very worried. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and employer has been off since being told. Now they've said redundancy is likely or I can take a pay off worth 7 months salary. It seems timing is good for them to avoid paying me maternity pay.

Is this legal?

Any help greatly appreciated. They're really putting the pressure on over the package and accepting it.

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,
    How long have you worked for your employer?
    Space available for rent
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Well, setting aside whether you can prove that the redundancy is a result of your pregnancy (simply believing it isn't enough - you need evidence), maternity pay, unless you have a really excellent maternity package, is never going to amount to anywhere near seven months wages. And realistically, if you could prove it, you might not get much more from a tribunal, and that would be after months of fighting.

Is it legal to make someone redundant when they are pregnant? Yes. Is it legal to make you redundant - there is nowhere near enough information here to assess whether you have any case to argue. You'd have to tell us more.

If they're willing to make an offer already, it may be negotiable. But really, I'd need to know a lot more information to suggest how to consider negotiating.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Take the money and run
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • missile wrote: »
    Take the money and run

or waddle.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    or waddle.

:rotfl:
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    NEJS wrote: »
    Hi all please help as very worried. I'm 20 weeks pregnant and employer has been off since being told. Now they've said redundancy is likely or I can take a pay off worth 7 months salary. It seems timing is good for them to avoid paying me maternity pay.

Is this legal?

Any help greatly appreciated. They're really putting the pressure on over the package and accepting it.

If they're paying 7 months salary I suspect it is more than you just being pregnant, its just you're lucky that you are pregnant and they have to tread very carefull (and as such prob think its easier to pay an amount and move on)
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NEJS wrote: »

Is this legal?

If they are making your redundant because you are pregnant then that is illegal.

If they are making you redundant and you are pregnant, that is perfectly legal, ie, you're not immune from being made redundant because you're pregnant.

If the process they are following is fair and the have decided the role is now redundant then sadly, that means the individual involved is displaced, pregnant or not.

Legislation ensures that when pregnant you have equal rights, not enhanced rights when it comes to redundancy.

I'd take the money and run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport