Stray Cat has adopted us - advice please!

2»

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I agree with kazwookie's points 1 and 2 - but not 3 to 5.

This chap is not a stray feral - he's grown up with a human family. Either he managed to get himself lost or his human family moved away and left him - or perhaps his owner died.

Whatever his story, he has decided that you are a suitable replacement family. That is a very great honour.

Kitty litter trays and the litter to go in them are available from any supermarket - go for 'clumping litter'. Depending on his appetite, one or two sachets of wet food a day with some cat biscuits will see him right. Make sure he always has fresh water to hand - don't give him milk as, contrary to popular belief, it's bad for adult cats (the lactose gives them the trots).

If you really can't cope, then please arrange for him to be collected by Cats Protection rather than the RSPCA (I'm a member of CP, so if you PM me with your location I'll dig out the contact number of your nearest CP shelter).
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    julie777 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the advice. To answer some questions:-
    Yes we did most of the things suggested. We didn't feed it straight away but after 4 days of mewing we had to succumb.
    Keeping a cat out in the summer when you want windows open is easier said than done! We were indeed flattered that he wanted to come in.

Good news is that the RSPCA have done a stirling job of finding the owner who had not only moved address but changed their phone numbers too and did not update the microchip records. They only live a couple of miles away but the cat left home on New Years Eve! It's amazing he is in such good condition still.

Owners and cat were very happy to see each other again so
    it is a happy ending.

Crossed with my Post 12!

Brilliant news! Another happy family re-united.

Any chance you will now go looking for a kitty of your own?
  • Look after the cat. Do not give it to the RSPCA. We had a visit from them once because our cat slept with four others on our porch in a box. He came ramming at the door demanding to see his feeding and sleeping arrangements. I showed him his tray, litter box and rug basket. I also showed him he sheltered porch. No cat was on the porch at the time. I said come back later. He did. He stood amazed that five cats were in a box on a sheltered porch with water, all snug in a box. He left summons flapping on his rrrrrrrr.

DON!!!8217;T GIVE IT TO THEM
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Sadly not.
    There are 3 reasons we will not have a cat of our own.
    1) Tenancy regulations
    2) Cost
    3) Slight allergy to animals

However we will desperately miss the little feller.
    Our 30-year old live-at-home son has such a big heart
    and really enjoyed having a dependant creature to love
    and cuddle, despite the sneezing.
    Luckily there is a neighbour's cat who
    visits some days and although he is not
    so demonstrative he is a sweetie!

Thanks to everyone who joined the discussion.
  • julie777
    julie777 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    i'M AMAZED HOW MANY OF YOU TOOK THE TIME TO ADVISE!
    YOU ARE ALL SO KIND.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport