Friends dog has pollen and grass allergy , any advice or experience of this?

Comments

• calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    He has tried putting a t-shirt on him for walks, but apparently wouldn’t tolerate it.
    He’s a springer cocker cross, so quite short and belly in contact with grass most of time.

If it was me i’d be walking him on the road for a while to see if it’s the actual grass contact or pollen in the air .

He probably doesn’t wash him down on return home as will be wizzing off to work, have told him he should be doing this, and given him a link to a dog paddling pool which may help cool him down.

Thanks for replies.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • You can get dog costs made of cooling hypo allergenic fabric (a bit like a cooling pad sort) that you dampen and put on the dog to keep them cool.

Dogs can get a bumpy sweat rash on their tummies and around leg folds from sweat and pollen, ours gets it occasionally. We find wiping him over with a damp towel left by the door helps him not carry pollen in with him. Drying his belly really helps, and a cheap dog friendly shampoo containing tea tree oil helps if he gets s bit spotty. Think about how you'd care for a babies skin if it gets nappy rash, keep it clean, dry and don't put lots of creams and scented products on.

If your friend is walking the dog and immediately leaving the house when they get back, the dog might have associated the itch sore tummy and anxiety at your friend leaving, which might be making the dog scratch itself. We use the rubber Kong treat dispensers filled with kibble and natural yogurt, stick it in the freezer and then give to the dog as you leave. Dog learns that walk = nice towel off, strokes, yummy treat and not = being left alone and itchy.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My dog had an allergy to cat's fleas, and as this is the time of year when they are most active it could be worth double-checking with the vet that this might be a factor as well?
  • calicocat
    I don’t think it’s anxiety related or it would be all year round, and vet has diagnosed grass/pollen allergy.

Dog doesn’t have anything to do with cats, and happens when he’s been out in grass, but anything is worth looking at.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to add that steroids are not a long term solution for dogs...they are not tolerant of them. So it is important to identify the source of the allergy.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have you tried allergy testing to know exactly what it is, and then desensitisation? My cat is in the same position!
  • calicocat
    Have you tried allergy testing to know exactly what it is, and then desensitisation? My cat is in the same position!

Not sure exactly what tests the vet has done, will ask him Saturday when I see him.
    Washing him down after a walk seems a logical thing to do though for a start.
  • puppypants
    puppypants Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    My granddaughter has a JRT who scratches like mad this time of year. In the evening, she slathers her with cream and puts her in a newborn's babygro. Works well as she can't damage the skin through the fabric. x
  • My dog also has a grass allergy, it makes her break out in 'hot spots' which are vicious red sore areas on her tummy, legs and chest. To combat it, I avoid walking her in long grass (she also has short legs) and give her anti histamines twice a day (does not need to be expensive Piriton, anything containing ceterizine will work) and she gets bathed frequently in Malaseb (or equivalent). When she has a bad break out, she goes to the vets and gets steriods. Some summers she's had to visit the vet three or four times. Last year, it was only once.
  • My Yorkshire terrier dog would scratch all the time and make his skin red raw. We tried various shampoos, tablets etc. In the end he we had him tested to see what he is allergic to. The results came back saying he is allergic/borderline allergic to various trees, grasses, house mites etc (the report was three pages long).

It was recommended that he could have a vaccine made specifically for him which he would then be injected with every four weeks, which is what we did. The vaccine is made in the USA and costs around £200 and lasts around eight months. We then pay £7 every four weeks to have the injection (we are able to claim this on his insurance).

We started this therapy nearly three years ago and have not had any more scratching/itching issues, just a happy dog enjoying his time outside again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure