Nice places to live approx 30 mins from Glasgow.

Options
Kit1
Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 24 April 2018 at 5:57PM in Scotland
Hi

I am looking to move back to Scotland (born in Glasgow) and would like to know which places are best to look at. I haven't lived there since childhood which was a long time ago and know that things have changed a great deal.

We have been on many holidays to Largs and like that area but not sure it is the best place to live. We like days out in Glasgow but don't think we want to live there either as we live in a village in England so would rather live somewhere smaller.

Apart from Largs we have also thought about Port Glasgow and Greenock. I know that they have both has some investment recently and lots of houses being built.

We would like to be able to get into Glasgow every now and then either by car or train and with easy reach of the M8/M74. We are open to other places that we may not have thought of. I hope iI have covered everything. TIA
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's a huge scope. Depending on your budget you could look at Newton Mearns, East Kilbride, Dumbarton, Lenzie/Bishopbriggs, Falkirk. Most of the bigger places have nice areas (and less nice ones).
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stonehouse or Strathaven or anywhere in the Clyde Valley.
  • loadsacash
    loadsacash Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Linlithgow is nice and its about 50 minutes to Glasgow by car
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • richardjmcdougall
    Options
    Moffat nice little town but little longer just a hour on m74 nearby. very popular town for relocating
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It depends what you like.

I used to live in Glasgow and around 10 years ago moved out to Ayrshire. Best decision I ever made!!

I'm exactly 30 mins down the motorway from Glasgow city center. Less than 10 mins drive to Irvine which has several large supermarkets and other shops and of course the beach. Less than 10 mins drive the other way to Kilmarnock with another good selection of shops. Perhaps 25 mins from Ayr.

The people are lovely - friendly, welcoming.

Price wise, I swapped a tiny 3 bedroom new build with a postage stamp garden with rear windows peering right into the house behind - for a a 1/3 acre garden, huge bungalow with 2 big lounges, 2 bathrooms, 4 big bedrooms, massive deck running the length of the house, huge patio, burn at the bottom of the garden and backing onto open fields full of horses, cows etc.

There are lots of little villages as well as Irvine, Kilmarnock etc. Some at silly prices - you can get a decent little ex council house 3 bedroom terrace with big garden in a decent area for as little as £60k or so.
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It depends what you like.

I used to live in Glasgow and around 10 years ago moved out to Ayrshire. Best decision I ever made!!

I'm exactly 30 mins down the motorway from Glasgow city center. Less than 10 mins drive to Irvine which has several large supermarkets and other shops and of course the beach. Less than 10 mins drive the other way to Kilmarnock with another good selection of shops. Perhaps 25 mins from Ayr.

The people are lovely - friendly, welcoming.

Price wise, I swapped a tiny 3 bedroom new build with a postage stamp garden with rear windows peering right into the house behind - for a a 1/3 acre garden, huge bungalow with 2 big lounges, 2 bathrooms, 4 big bedrooms, massive deck running the length of the house, huge patio, burn at the bottom of the garden and backing onto open fields full of horses, cows etc.

There are lots of little villages as well as Irvine, Kilmarnock etc. Some at silly prices - you can get a decent little ex council house 3 bedroom terrace with big garden in a decent area for as little as £60k or so.

Thank you for your reply. Ayrshire sounds very nice but l don't know the area very well as I haven't lived in Scotland for a very long time and have only visited for holidays. We are probably looking for a flat/small house to start with around £40k as my husband will be working there during the week and coming home at the weekends.

We have looked at house prices but because we don't know the areas it is tricky to arrange viewings.

Open fields and friendly people sounds good. What area do you recommend? TIA
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • scott_lithgows
    scott_lithgows Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I,m in Greenock,should be a lovely place with the views over the Clyde.sadly a succession of crap council decisions has left the place with a soaring depopulation.
    Families are leaving for the new builds in Bishopton,not all the councils fault though.
    We have a local court which seems intent in attracting !!!!!philes to the area with some of the most lenient sentencing for shocking offences.
    I wouldn't live in the port if you paid me,sadly I need to live in this area for work for the next 7 years though I have considered Langbank as it has river views and is lucky to be outside the control of inverclyde council.
    Hope this helps,I would look at bishopton,helensburgh and langbank
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I,m in Greenock,should be a lovely place with the views over the Clyde.sadly a succession of crap council decisions has left the place with a soaring depopulation.
    Families are leaving for the new builds in Bishopton,not all the councils fault though.
    We have a local court which seems intent in attracting !!!!!philes to the area with some of the most lenient sentencing for shocking offences.
    I wouldn't live in the port if you paid me,sadly I need to live in this area for work for the next 7 years though I have considered Langbank as it has river views and is lucky to be outside the control of inverclyde council.
    Hope this helps,I would look at bishopton,helensburgh and langbank

Nice rant...
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure