Cheapest place to get Vita-Mix Blender

Comments

• consultant31
    consultant31 Posts: 4,814
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Angelina-M wrote: »
    So I bought the Vitamix from Lakeland (the cheaper one) and wow its fab!! But it is very loud, to the point of frightening my aged dog. However they have now brought a quieter option to Lakeland, the new generation model and i'm going to have a serious look at that one and maybe seeing if I can upgrade. Loving the green smoothies though!

Lol, my dog disappears when the Vitamix is turned on and it's taken a year or more for my Grandson to stay in the kitchen while it's working, but you get used to it and, after all, look how noisy racing cars are when going round the track and the Vitamix motor runs at 384Km per hour :D
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Lol, my dog disappears when the Vitamix is turned on and it's taken a year or more for my Grandson to stay in the kitchen while it's working, but you get used to it and, after all, look how noisy racing cars are when going round the track and the Vitamix motor runs at 384Km per hour :D

My Grandson is enjoying the Vitamix. I made him strawberry ice cream just with a frozen banana and frozen strawberries, then I added some sprinkles and he was none the wiser that it was healthy!

I'm just enjoying the most delightful smoothie of peach, grapes, orange, homemade yoghurt and spinach. I don't eat peaches or spinach normally but this is so wonderful. I'm really glad I stopped thinking about it and just got one!
  • Spaniel24
    Spaniel24 Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm new to this topic and I checked it out because I was going to buy a Vitamix Aspire (to fit under my wall cupboards)....and then I came across the OPTIMUM 9400 which seems to be a big selling item in Australia and comparing the statistics actually seems more powerful than Vitamix.

Does anyone know about this blender please? I can't post a hyperlink because I'm a newbie but you can get it from the Froothie website.
  • consultant31
    Forumite
    Spaniel24 wrote: »
    I'm new to this topic and I checked it out because I was going to buy a Vitamix Aspire (to fit under my wall cupboards)....and then I came across the OPTIMUM 9400 which seems to be a big selling item in Australia and comparing the statistics actually seems more powerful than Vitamix.

Does anyone know about this blender please? I can't post a hyperlink because I'm a newbie but you can get it from the Froothie website.

Hmm, it certainly looks good. I can't see that there's much difference between this and the Vitamix but it's a tiny bit cheaper, though once you've added on the extra for the 10 year warranty and the p&p there's not much in it.

All the testimonials seem to be from Australian customers.....I wonder what the customer service is like here in the UK. Then again, I'm not sure Vitamix has a good track record in that department (fortunately I've never had a problem).

I think it's just down to personal choice :)
  • MsBooty
    MsBooty Posts: 286
    First Post
    Forumite
    Just wanted to see if there is any update on this thread, anyone know of a cheaper alternative to (but as good as) the vitamix
    :j BIG THANKS TO ALL COMP POSTERS, MUCH APPRECIATED :j
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I did a bit of searching and like others posting above, found the Australian Optimix seemed quite popular.
    I also found that an even cheaper version seems to be the Maximix and the Cusinart which both seem to get decent results but it is said you do get what you pay for and you miss out on some of the more professional effects by going with the lower priced models so I suppose it depends what you are looking for and what is important to you in a blender.

I ended up getting the Hotpoint steam blender via Amazon as it worked out to around £100 and I had vouchers, it's rrp is closer to £200 but I'd say hunt around as it's bound to be cheaper than this if this is what you wanted to go for.

My priorities were a blender which also cooked food. I don't need it for smoothies or ice blended food (though the option is nice to have in case I change my mind). I did look at other soup makers which also cook food but the hotpoint model was the only version to steam cook food meaning I didn't lose volume and in fact added volume when I cooked. It also meant I could add a stock cube and it would be added to the steam and liquid the steam creates when cooking rather than turned into a sticky gluten sludge! I cook a lot of soups, this model did everything I wanted it to. It has a basket to steam any food in (vegetables, meat, fish...they all steam fine). I then take out the basket, turn the contents upside down into the blender and then blend it however fast (the faster I blend the more liquidised it becomes).

It is fairly easy to clean, I wish the jug was dishwasherable but it's not and from what I can tell, none of the cook-food blenders are either so I've not missed a trick from what I can tell.

I've got a few issues over it being quite large, cumbersome and creating a room full of steam (though I do cook large batches of soup at a time so steam is inevitable). It is easy enough to clean by rinsing, adding washing up liquid and clicking to 'pulse' to get rid of any left over food, anything else more stubborn (rare) comes away with the brush supplied or any other washing up brush you have (available from pound shops in various sizes).
    I'd like it to hold more water so I don't need to refill the steamer, I'd like to be able to turn off the steamer or turn it down but I suppose I'd risk burning food by doing this. I'd like it to cook my food faster than it does to speed things up (a basket full of cabbage, carrots, leek and celery takes about 15-18 minutes, chicken takes 20 minutes), I'd like it to have a more chic button system as the clicky plastic tab just doesn't feel chic enough and despite it being only a year or so old already feels dated straight out of the box if I am being fussy about things, but I am really scraping around for negatives here. It works and it works well for me.

I'd buy it again, it does what I need it to, it is a very powerful blender, the blades seemed longer than on other soup makers, I'd ideally love a Vitamix but there is just no way one of those is ever going to be in my price range and unless someone gifts me one I wont get to own one. I was looking for the next best thing given the I-mainly-need-it-for-soup priority list I had and this does what I need.
  • consultant31
    Forumite
    I've had a Vitamix for many years now and made so many lovely smoothies and soups etc that my Mum wanted one but wasn't prepared to pay the price :(
    I was lucky enough to get one for her from eBay which was within collection distance. It looked a bit ropy (scratches on the jug etc) but has worked well over the twelve months or so that she's had it.
    It's worth keeping an eye open for the (rare) bargain to be had.
    In my opinion, you can't beat the Vitamix and if you're a regular smoothie drinker or latte drinker from Starbucks or the like, a Vitamix would pay for itself in less than a year and will last for many more years.
  • Fairenuff
    Fairenuff Posts: 54
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bumping as I have a yearning for one ...... Any good offers around ?
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 June 2016 at 11:06AM
    There is an Aussie blender which is meant to be just as good but at a cheaper price. However still fairly expensive. I think that the rpm is higher than the vitamix.

They are available on ebay and on a website but I cannot remember the links.

Optimum 9200 is one of them. Website is froothie.
  • consultant31
    Forumite
    Fairenuff wrote: »
    Bumping as I have a yearning for one ...... Any good offers around ?

It's the season of Agricultural and other types of shows up and down the country.

The prices of the Vitamix are rarely discounted, but you do get lots of add-ons...extra jug (worth over £100), various recipe books and the like. It's well worth a look if you have a show in your county.

For anyone interested, the Great Yorkshire Show is in Harrogate early next month and they have a cracking Vitamix stand. I spend an hour there watching the demos every year :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure