Help with housing benefit

Options

Comments

• CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Options
    yulz4500 wrote: »
    Housing benefit
    Hi there! I'm looking for some help on applying for housing benefit please!

Me and my husband and our two young daughters have been staying with family for the last few months however we now need to find rented accommodation. We are both self employed and started a new business and have a very low income between us. The other benefits that we get are child benefit, working tax credit and child tax credit. Are we eligible for housing benefit if we rent from a private landlord through an estate agency?
    Do we have to be living in a property before applying and will the landlord be notified about us receiving housing benefit?

All info and help will be much appreciated!!!
    We are currently in London borough of Ealing

Hi yulz45
    Yes -in principle you are entitled to housing benefit and council tax benefit, dependent on your joint income and any capital you have.
    You can apply for HB/CTB with your local authority(LA) once you have somewhere to live and have the details including rent and some proof that you are the tenant. Any HB entitlement is restricted to your local housing allowance that takes local rents into account as well as your family circumstances -you can find this out from the LA right away (some publish this online).
    You should be able to have your benefit paid to you and not directly to the landlord
    Hope this helps you
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Hi,
    I wonder if you could possibly help me?
    I am a full time student with two children (one 17 in full time education at college and the other is 14). I have three small jobs which currently bring in roughly £300 per month. I do not have any savings and I rent privately for £850.00 a month. I currently receive £13.00 every two weeks housing benefit but my mother has been nagging me as she says this doesn't seem enough. Please could you advise? Thank you for your help
  • J1987_2
    Options
    Hi
    Could you please tell me if I am eligible for housing benefit given the following situation:
    I am currently doing an internship. It is 9am-5.30pm Monday to Friday. It is unpaid but I can claim expenses for lunch (£7/day) and travel.
    I have no other sources of income.
    I live in a private property as a licensee not as a tenant i.e. I have a license to occupy but no tenancy agreement and don't pay rent but do pay a license fee.
    Options
    Hello Alysonsallsorts

You can enter your details into a benefits calculations programme on the following website https://www.turn2us.org.uk and that should establish whether you are getting the right benefits including Housing Benefit. You will also need to get an idea of what the local housing allowance is in your area and what allowance is being used to calculate your benefits. you should also check that the council has the correct information about your circumstances in case they are basing their figures on incorrect information
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
    Options
    Hello J1987

Firstly you can only claim Housing benefit if you are legally liable to pay for your housing cots. if you are paying board to a parent or family member then you would not be able to claim. If you are not a tenant but were for instance in lodgings and you would be evicted if you did not pay for your accommodation and the landlord was not related to you then you would be eligible to claim housing benefit. Your status a a licensee and eligibility would depend on these factors

With regard to your internship much will depend on whether or not you are still a student. If you have a valid student card and are claiming exemption from council tax then you are a student and will not be able to claim housing benefit unless you fall into one of the special categories ( carer, lone parent with child under 5, disabled etc)

If you have finished college or you are doing a work placement eg sandwich course and are liable for council tax then you can claim both housing and council tax benefits.
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I have tried the turn2us website but they can't do anything on line apparently because I am a student and therefore I'm not a straightforward case. I was trying to avoid going direct to the housing benefit people initially as they were a nightmare to deal with last year when I first approached them. I really wanted to know whether it seemed that the £13 every two weeks sounded correct or whether it was worth going through all the stress of dealing with the benefits people again. (This is the first time I've ever had to ask for any money in my life).
    Thanks again for your help.
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I have tried the turn2us website but they can't do anything on line apparently because I am a student and therefore I'm not a straightforward case. I was trying to avoid going direct to the housing benefit people initially as they were a nightmare to deal with last year when I first approached them. I really wanted to know whether it seemed that the £13 every two weeks sounded correct or whether it was worth going through all the stress of dealing with the benefits people again. (This is the first time I've ever had to ask for any money in my life).
    Thanks again for your help.

Dear Alysonallsorts
    Benefits entitlememnts for students is complex and depends on the type of course you are following and what fees you have to pay and what grants/loans you get. There doesn't seem to be a better alternative than to get personal expert advice that takes into account all your circumstances. So I would advise you to get to your local CAB who can give you this service. You can find your nearest bureau on www.citizensadvice.org.uk
    Good luck
  • bencroft2810
    Options
    Hi can anyone advise i am weighing up shortening my working hours to go to college. I am a single parent working 30 hours a week would drop to 16 hours,would i be penalised for this???
    :j
    Options
    Hello bencroft2810

If your income is less then you should be entitled to more help with your rent. You will not be penalised for reducing your hours. You may find that your working Tax Credit is also reduced as you will be doing less than 30 hours

A good place to look to balance all the different options is https://www.turn2us.org.uk where you can put in all the different figures to calculate the best option for you
  • blueberries_2
    Options
    Hello, please can someone explain in plain english the difference between;
    LHAR (Local Housing Allowance Rate)which is £110.77 per week for a 2 bedroomed property
    and
    LHAL (Local Housing Allowance Limit) which is upto £290.00 per week for a 2 bedroomed property.

I am having a brain block in trying to understand why there are 2 different amounts. :eek:

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport