We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Advice on how to improve lawn,please

Saver-upper
Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Well,this is a part of the forum I have never visited before :D.
I hope I can get some advice.
We have lived in our property for about 18 years,and maintaining the lawn has never been a priority-each year it grows so long (about a metre tall :eek:),it gets strimmed about 1-2 times each summer,and that is it.
I said this summer will be different.So this weekend we have strimmed,mown and raked the lawn.Now I would like to know how to get green,soft grass please.At the moment we are left with very dry grass,very "wiry" feeling,patches of dirt.........
Someone on another forum suggested Aftercut.When I went to look for it,there were 3 different ones on the shelf,I had no idea what I was doing,so I bought 2 watering cans and left :rotfl:.
So this evening I have had 3 of my kids watering the lawn.My plan is to do this 1-2 times a day for the rest of the week and see what happens.
Is that all I need to do?What would somebody who knew what they were doing,do?
Thank you.
SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The best solution for almost any lawn (there are exceptions) is simply regular cutting with a lawnmower.... not a strimmer ;)

The cutting needs to be very regular, but never excessively short. One of the biggest mistakes people make is : oh, forgot to cut the lawn last weekend, and busy next... I'll give it a really short cut so it will last....

Start cutting early in the year, when the grass starts to grow. Set the cut height to three or four inches for the first couple of cuts, then reduce it if you must during Spring. However, before the heat of Summer, reduce the frequency and increase the blade height. That way, the lawn will stay green throughout the heat. As the grass starts to grow later in the year, cut more frequently again.

You really don't need to water a lawn, rarely need to add treatments, and certainly never need to pay some company hundreds because their treatments will make your lawn look like Wimbledon!

You can water twice a day, if you like. If you start... you will have to keep watering, as the roots will become shallow. If you don't, it may go brown for a week or two, then it will rain and... go green again.

Gentle, regular cutting is enough, almost always!
  • We use Weedol concentrrate (formerly Verdone) - Youll see it turn green virtually over night

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/weedol-lawn-weedkiller-concentrate-500ml/p/0453235
    If I ruled the world.......
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You really won't.... That will control weeds, but will do nothing whatsoever to green the grass. Put that on a lawn now, with what looks like extreme heat and a possible drought, and you'll likely see the grass browning.

The OP doesn't seem to have a weed problem anyway. Bare patches, yes, and wirey brown grass, which is likely meadow grasses that have established dominance because it's been left to grow long.

OP, with the coming Summer heat, I really wouldn't put any products on your lawn at all. It's the wrong time of year anyway, and it's going to be a long and hot few weeks.
  • Works for us

NHk40Nz5rk9vljY17CmD5VxLyIS8XMA0I0c2ejwoY9jYFtKNpXrx4CjB1yRtDgeJ7rV4dqQBoIiWYHwoEXfCTDwQs-UryZnx3yOoVl2YhEga0qFnZtFIMtVQJf4jG7yBkMyI-7Qx6frymUGSB00ATUk6IQD31qtrniV1t1WBVfzK0A4EdZiNBePEZpWqGFyNCn9C-cnDVKnnIUhKRHGrNf1qSTnk59aMgsyQlWWmHt6MjJeBG4pFB0sRfZ7740RxPRCvP29XhCwCnerYKABNcFKy9Dn245I6-tayQp-RLUeS1zT6wpBL4VV2lE21qiGL4hiJY2ahSdY4EX9BvFVvTtfAdYMzEBHLTZgvBDoNUliHY3aCdh0WpGxfg3kK78-bMSWzjGOE1gwNgeNHR93sQME5vDBgjUv5lnuVbacYoAuLOqJAjOGxXJAcgqtVYC81ZDlbS6mASdubUL5HbTHa_XjA6LPUkZKFVDi4WbzxrQKxl6mhYhhct6bEVmN6wTUUwDHfCqzyGXxtRoDrV5EuEWknU9ig63PbMTyHx3XacNXhb8kp3sU-uqhbHpub-CaFXBXpcnDVa7eYKm23aOOYr7b1ZDs9OIVoA9VPOS2t=w1198-h898-no?.jpg
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    You really won't.... That will control weeds, but will do nothing whatsoever to green the grass. ....
    If I ruled the world.......
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Agree with everything DaftyDuck says. Haven't cut the lawn for a couple of weeks now. Usually it would be needing a cut, but because it's so warm and dry it's not getting too long, so why bother? Plus, I like watching the season of flowers in the lawn. Dandelions (OK, maybe not dandelions), then daisies, now clover. A slightly longer lawn is better for the wildlife too. I don't go the whole hog of letting it go knee-deep, but I'm not convinced you have to to get a "healthier" lawn. And it keeps colour in times of drought without needing to water.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    We use Weedol concentrrate (formerly Verdone) - Youll see it turn green virtually over night

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/weedol-lawn-weedkiller-concentrate-500ml/p/0453235
    I don't see how it can "green" your lawn given that it has no feed in it, it's just a selective weedkiller.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    The only time I bother watering the lawn is the period after scarifying and I've laid down new seed. Once the new grass has established I leave it to it's own devices and simply mow when required.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It sounds like the OPs lawn needs a bit of renovation work. It's never been kept properly and all they've got is woody stubble.

A deep scarify this September, hollow aeration, re-seed the whole thing and once it's established give it a couple of cuts this year before winter. From next spring onwards cut it at least every 2 weeks, preferably every week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure