PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your OS compulsion?

Comments

• thriftlady wrote: »
    Mine isn't a buying compulsion- it's making shopping lists.

My weekly shopping list takes nearly a whole week to make. I shop on Monday but by Wednesday I'm starting to make the next week's list. I continue to revise and refine it through the week until Monday morning. I also go online to do a virtual shop to see how much I'm going to end up spending. I get through loads of notepads.
    For the last couple of Christmases I've been given one of those page-a-day tear-off block calendars, and since each sheet is blank on the back I've saved them as notepads by the phone and I use them for shopping lists etc as well!
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    hmmm....

lots of bad cases on here I see.

My main problem is books.

My degree was in philosophy, so many books needed for that, but they were all very heavy books. Like chewing toffee.

As a relaxation I developed a habit for young adult fantasy (Gareth Nix and the like). Little did I know that he was no more than a gateway to the stronger stuff!

Soon I found myself unable to settle for anything less than complete series!

Now my bookcase is alphanumeric by author and publication date/chronological order (damn prequals!). Or at least were until we moved, they're now in boxes by the same.

I read at least one book a day. they have to be in sequence and I can't read the same book twice in a 12 month period!

When I don't have a book to read/a book in the series is missing, I'm unlovable until it can be found (to the point at which I have several copies of habitual hiders)

And yet for birthdays and Christmases - no one buys me any books!
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think I can honestly say that 90% of these things I do, especially lists, cookbooks, fabric/pattern/wool stashes. I too tend not to open the catalogues that I get through the post Book People, Lands End, Lakeland I think are the only ones that come.

I don't do plastic tubs as I have lots of nice tupperware that I got amazing deals on when friend was an agent. Mum keeps me supplied with Carte d'or tubs.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Mine is more of an aversion than a compulsion - I begrudge paying full-price for anything these days!

Last week my OH was laughing at me cos he DARED to suggest we go to the Baker's BEFORE 3pm and I got all offended and said 'What, and pay full price?'

This might count as an obsession, if OH does go out shopping on his own, I demand the receipt when he gets in:rotfl:
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Oh yes, I forgot the lists

lists of stuff to do at home
    shopping lists
    to-do lists at work

etc.etc.
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • OK, I'll admit it - I'm Spend_Thrift and I'm an OS compulsive! :p

They say that admitting you have a problem is the first stage towards a cure....

My biggest compulsion is bargain-hunting. I'm absolutely incapable of passing up a bargain when I see one, even if that means spending a fair bit more than I planned to in order to save money later. I have cupboards stuffed full of multiples of non-perishables that were on offer (a couple of years' supply of toothpaste, enough shampoo to last forever) and I stockpile my favourite butter (Kerrygold) whenever I see it cheaply. :rolleyes:

I find I'm copying my mother's approach to saving, although we come from a long line of bargain hunters. My great aunt once went into a furniture shop and swiped a knob from a chest of drawers, then went back later and asked for a discount due to the drawers having a knob missing! :eek::D:rolleyes::rotfl:

Most of my bargain purchases are books, secondhand/vintage kitchenware and storage jars. I can't walk past a Kilner jar without wanting to buy it :)

(And I'm eyeing up that forgotten skills cookbook now too... thanks a lot! :rotfl:)
  • Mine is also making lists-I have been doing that for donkey's years.:rolleyes:
    Another is trawling charity shops:rotfl:
    Also buying autobiographies.:D
    And using as many money saving coupons and vouchers, as I can:T.

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I seem to have developed an allergy to throwing anything away that can conceivably be used again.

Yesterday I finally got around to finishing off making some table mats from offcuts of material from when I shortened the kitchen curtains - and sewed them up with the cotton I'd unpicked from them in the first place!:rotfl:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Mulitple compulsions here...

Huge stash of tinned/dried food
    Freezers bursting at the seams
    Cook Books
    Diet Books
    Kitchen cookware/gadgets
    Bargain clothes for my son `to grow into` though not MS when I take them out and they have already been outgrown :mad:
    Vast collection of various plastic storage crates/drawers/tupperware etc.
    Collection of many crochet patterns, started 25 years ago when they were so hard to find that everywhere I went I`d check out out the wool shops and buy any patterns they had. Built up a lovely pile, mainly baby stuff. Ironically when my son was born I never actually made him a single thing!

I think we must have seperated at birth.....'cept the bit about the son and the crochet, I have girls....everything else ...yup..:whistle::D
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure