Which bank feels the most dated?

Options
NatWest feels very grotty when you're inside of a branch. Some of their branches even still have signs saying "National Westminster Bank". The fact that you have to take a receipt from their coin counting machines to the teller for the money to be credited to your account is a very dated method.

A lot of Barclays branches feel old as well and they don't seem to be particularly progressive with technology as they don't support Android Pay and their Android app doesn't even support fingerprint login.

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    Options
    Why does it matter if a branch looks "new" or "old".

I maybe go into branch once a year, if that. With ATM's, online banking, card terminals everywhere, there is little need for bank branches.

Most banks have similar digital services. Barclays don't do Android Pay because they're trying to push contactless transactions using their app (which in my opinion is a silly thing to do...).
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    karld316 wrote: »
    NatWest feels very grotty when you're inside of a branch. Some of their branches even still have signs saying "National Westminster Bank".

That's probably as NatWest's legal name is National Westminster Bank Plc

As for which bank seems the most dated - it will depend on the area you're in - most of the big banks are in the middle of branch refurbishment programs (of the ones they are not closing!) and it depends on if they have done your local ones yet.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The fact that you have to take a receipt from their coin counting machines to the teller for the money to be credited to your account is a very dated method.

High street banks don't come much newer than Metro Bank and it uses this system.

At least one can deposit cheques with NatWest machines unlike with Metro Bank.

What matters is not how old fashioned the environment is. What matters is how well a bank meets its customers' needs.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A lot of Barclays branches feel old as well and they don't seem to be particularly progressive with technology as they don't support Android Pay and their Android app doesn't even support fingerprint login.

I can't comment on any particular individual branches you may have been into, but I work in the "cash technology" industry, working with banks around the world, and can tell you without any doubt that Barclays are far and away the most technologically progressive high street bank in the country. Indeed they invented some of the technologies that banks around the country or even world use today.

If you're so concerned with cutting edge fintech what are you even setting foot in a branch for anyway - I never go into one except for work purposes (such as when piloting new technology - for example in a Barclays branch)
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Thats easy. First Direct is by far the most dated. Their Internet banking is still the same as it was in the 1990s.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    I can't comment on any particular individual branches you may have been into, but I work in the "cash technology" industry, working with banks around the world, and can tell you without any doubt that Barclays are far and away the most technologically progressive high street bank in the country. Indeed they invented some of the technologies that banks around the country or even world use today.

I second this. I remember when I worked for Barclays in around 2003, they were piloting contactless payments in the staff canteen. I believe this was a partnership with either Visa or Mastercard. And Barclays are still proud of the fact they introduced the world's first ATM.

Going back to the original question - my local Natwest has been "modernised" - which means all the cashiers have disappeared, the enquiry desk where you could go for help has gone. Now there is a bank of machines, a few staff wandering around with iPads and some sofas where you can take a ticket (like at the deli counter) and sit and wait, if you really must see someone.

I much prefer my other local Natwest, where there are still cashiers and an enquiry desk... but sadly it is closing in a few months. That's progress I guess.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NatWest feels very grotty when you're inside of a branch. Some of their branches even still have signs saying "National Westminster Bank". The fact that you have to take a receipt from their coin counting machines to the teller for the money to be credited to your account is a very dated method.

Not as grotty as when they were called National Provisional Bank. I remember a time if you wanted a bank statement in branch they typed it up while you waited. Now my local Natwest has been revamped and its like something out of Star Trek. Also not a grumpy old bank manager to be seen.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't care how 'grotty' a bank branch feels. I much prefer a 'grotty' branch to a closed one.

It is pointless for banks to waste money refurbishing branches to make them loook 'trendy' when all the 'trendy' people wouldn't be seen dead in something as archaic as an actual physical bank.

So long as they are clean and tidy the rest doesn't really matter.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I can pay in at the counter at Santander with Debit card.

So when I have to fill out a paying in slip for HSBC counters (my branch has machines for cash notes/cheques only) that feels dated.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Some of their branches even still have signs saying "National Westminster Bank".

If they said "National Provincial Bank" or "Westminster Bank" it might be noteworthy.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure