PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Every year at about this time, I get a yearning for a more simple way of life. A life that doesn't involve being bombarded with endless ads for x% off or buy a new sofa/kitchen/table/bed/car or your Christmas holiday will become a fate worse than death :mad: It really does get to me. I hate consumerism in general. It annoys me intensely that we waste so many resources making cheap non-essential rubbish that will end up in landfill a few months later. I think I must be some kind of grumpy, odd ball though as despite all the headlines about the economy and stagnant pay rises, the shops always seem to be rammed.
Anyhow, I am planning to step back from it all in 2018:
- no spending on unnecessary stuff. For example, I have enough clothes to last for years in one wardrobe and one chest of drawers. Books will come from the library. No fripperies!!
- replace essential items where possible with good quality items preferably second hand, or british made or local where applicable
- increase cooking from scratch. I buy too many things like biscuits etc that are far nicer and healthier homemade
- make full use of garden and allotment for fruit, veg, preserves and wine.
- forage for fruit, fungi, wood ....
- spend more time outside, gardening, walking, enjoying nature to improve mental and physical well being
- spend more time with my mum who is 76 and beginning to need me more
- avoid pressure to conform!
Anyone got any further ideas in how I could simplify life?

Comments

• carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What a lovely, thoughtful post. That really resonates with me.
    Carolbee
  • I absolutely agree! We are using irreplaceable resources, not for survival or even comfort, but to add to the growing piles of useless !!!!!! we bury ourselves under until we can no longer move, then we chuck it into landfill.
    Like you I have plenty of clothes and will only replace when necessary. I cook pretty much everything from scratch and we grow some fruit and veg and try to get as much as possible from the local farm shop. A real bonus is the amount of time and money I save by simply not going into most shops and avoiding at least half of the aisles in the supermarket.
    I look forward to hearing simplifying measures other people are taking as there's always a lot to learn.
    Your post has really cheered me up: it's good to know that there are others out there swimming against the tide!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Thank you! Glad to hear I am not alone:)
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have to chuckle that there are magazines devoted to living simply. By living simply we don’t clutter ourselves up with “lifestyle” magazines! Check out the KonMarie thread on here too.

We have two allotments, try not to use the car too much if we can walk or cycle etc. Recycle stuff, home made biscuits cake etc in reused coffee jars for friends, plus silly joke books from charity shops, but entirely appropriate.

No Xmas cards this year as we are going away for two months and I don’t want a load when I come back to throw away!
    Carolbee
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    You've hit the nail right there and I'll be following and joining in too if that's ok?

I've been stripping back for a fair few years now. I like everything in it's place and only has a place of it's useful or needed. I have just taken on an allotment and looking forward to consuming seasonally and learning the art of preserving. With that will come, hopefully, more of a cooking knowledge so I don't rely on recipes that tell me I need x from Mexico, y from the superfood category and z from the foodies earning a quick buck from advertising. I am also shifting my diet to grain free foods and will need grounding to keep it primal/food from the land and not wander into gluten free processed foods.

The other thing for me is that I am losing a lot of weight and already my clothes are baggy. It's fine in the winter as I have layers and a big coat anyway but come the spring I will need to start replacing and I wish for this to be more capsule based, good quality fewer items. It will be good for me to have the support to keep up that mentality when I 'need' something cheap and in a hurry. I volunteer in a charity shop so I will keep an eye out there. I also have a sewing machine and would like to really get to grips with learning how to sow my own garments. I've had a few tries and equally a few (ok, all) faliures!

I look forward to sharing ideas with you.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    i would like to join you if thats ok been musing about it for a few weeks now not sure exactly the direction i am off in but will read with interest xx
    onwards and upwards
  • Please do join in. The more the merrier. I am feeling boosted by your positive responses and am off for a invigorating walk.:T
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I agree, but am adding some words of advice and caution!
    You don't say what your situation is regarding time / money / health / responsibilities. All of these can impact a lot on how you live your life. I can no longer cycle, and our bus routes have been cut. We try to maximise use of the car, but that can lead to pressure.
    I suggest that you identify the pressure points and think about how you will deal with them. For instance, I always have a tin of soup in the cupboard, and a pizza in the freezer, for those days when things don't work out!
    Identify the simple things that give you pleasure, and set out to maximise them. Seek out the people and groups that will help you do that.
    Baby steps, and forgive yourself if you don't manage everything. I admire people who garden and do allotments. I have tried, and it never worked (except for herbs). In retirement, DH made me a small deep bed, and with very little effort, it provides me with salad stuff and greens all year round. I haven't the patience or inclination for any more than that, so am pleased with what I do, rather than be annoyed that I don't do more.
    I love this board where folk are so helpful to each other, so forward together into 2018!
  • May I join too? I am trying to live simply but well too.

This year I have cooked from scratch much more, baked and have just started making our own bread. I work full time for a housing charity so time is short but would rather spend time in my own kitchen than in the supermarket

The thing that has made the biggest impact for me is turning off the TV as I spent far too many hours watching dross. I am getting caught up with sewing, mending and making instead

Could do better in 2018 I think - will follow this thread!
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am with you in spirit; I can no longer garden, so an allotment isn't a practical option, but I totally get where you are coming from.

I do make all our food from scratch; I can't remember the last time I bought cake or biscuits other than cream crackers.

I only buy clothes when something essential has worn out and needs replacing; and then it's most likely to come from the charity shop.

I do still buy books; but both my husband and myself like reading, and if there's a book we enjoy, we will read it time and again.

If Mr LW would only agree to it, I'd get rid of the tv entirely; as it is, we record any programmes we want to see, in order to fast-forward through all the irritating ads - having to sit through them sends my blood pressure up!

We do have to use the car to get anywhere; there is no public transport where we live, and even if there was, getting a wheelchair onto a bus is no mean feat; but when the weather allows, we like to go for a "walk" - I use the parentheses because for me, it's on a mobility buggy! :D

Lifestyle magazines dedicated to simple living? Really? I'd have thought those a total oxymoron! :D I don't bother with magazines at all, I'm afraid, other than the journals dedicated to organisations I belong to, viz the UK Wolf Conservation Trust, Mensa and the Pagan Federation.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure