PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How are you LW ? Did you manage to track down the tongue twister cushion ? I went on the big A site to see if they had them and got a bit distracted . Why did I never know the wonder of a Reading Cushion exists? DD and I were ooh a reading cushion , oh my goodness how could we not have known that . We're life long Bibliophiles and were totally unaware of something we never knew we needed but oh we know now :D
    I keep meaning to ask you about the bar stool you use instead of a perching stool . The OT supplied one here is really not working . The legs stick out beyond the stool in an awkward way and it's a bit like you tripping over your sticks at times .
    It was useless during the sciatica flares as it requires concentration to remember not to trip over the legs . When the Sciatica strikes anything resembling concentration leaves the building .
    I'd be interested to know if your stool isn't a sticky out thing .
    Also anyone here who uses one , any input is welcome .
    polly
    Hi Polly I hope your sciatica is giving you a break today. I confess I'm completely wilting in this heat, i simply cannot cope with it.

Re the cushion - I found one online, but now need to find £20 to pay for it, as it's not on the Big A site (they only have fabric covered ones, and this needs to be suitable for use in the rain). So I don't have it yet - but currently only doing dog-walks on the mobility buggy, so it's not too bad. ;) I suppose the sensible answer would be to resolve NOT to go to any more "events" that mean being on the buggy for a couple of hours at a stretch and driving it over rough grass! :D

Re kitchen stools - I bought these: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6000262
    I have one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. I've bypassed OT as I dislike having my home invaded and being told, by someone who does not know my entire circumstances, what I require.

I've been struggling to get on top of the gardening - I can only do 10 minutes or so at a time, so it's a bit like painting the Forth Bridge - as soon as you get to the end, it needs starting again. I do wish I could cope with having someone on the premises - plus some spare money - so that I could have a jobbing gardener. At this point I'm tempted to concrete the whole ruddy lot! :D

Still, my lovely Staffie guest is wonderful company, and giving me some motivation to actually get up in the mornings, so that's a good thing. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We were at the doctors on Friday and ended up working back to when DDs Amitriptyline was stopped . The reason was the Pregabalin and some other meds dd was taking . A link was found suggesting the Amit could react with some other meds including Pregab and raise a risk of heart problems . Our doctor is very much up to date and stopped it then . If anything her anxiety and depression is more under control now . Just getting through two assessments has shown that . As I've mentioned before the Amit is usually the 1st med tried for Fibro but dd had been moved to the Pregab . She's always been on meds for the MH illness but feels much better on the current regime .
    If not already you'll begin to see Lyrica on the pharmacy label . We were told they were going over to that name and on Friday it was on the label instead of Pregab . Quite a relief as she has a carrier full of meds each month and the simpler the name the better :D

Oh, that is interesting information, thanks.

I read a book called the fibro manual (by G Liptan) a while back. It's written by an American doctor who has fibro herself and there is a list of meds on one page and which ones you can safely take together. I'm sure she said it was fine to take Amit with Lyrica, but if there is a new link then that must be a little out of date by now.

Lyrica seems very good so far and I'm sleeping well and have less pain too. I did notice that it was called Lyrica when I got it from the chemist as I knew that brand name from the book and reading the forums that it is the American name for Pregab.

I'm staying away from Amit because of the side effects. I have had so many weird reactions to antidepressants in the past that I think I will stay away from all of them.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    D&G You're one of the wise ones who know your limit and stop . If only i could manage that . I'll get there one day! Hope your ok today .
    Sorry but when I read " I sat on my butt scootching around " It makes me giggle . Not laughing at you love but with you . Love a good expression and that one brings up an image of someone who wont be beaten .

maddie The mini mot suggests you're heading in the right direction . I'm not GF but I will try those cheese crackers they sound so quick and simple . We like quick and simple here .It made me laugh reading about the dog . My middle daughter has a big , solid chocolate lab and oh the eyes and look I'm starving when food of any description in near . I had a tabby who could suck in his cheeks and shrink before your eyes at such times . He had a great personality . Roast lamb was his favourite he could smell it miles away . He was very partial to pasta in sauce , melon and peas among other things although only petit pois no common garden peas for him . He really believed he was human and we began to agree . No plate or bowl was safe on his watch . We buried him in the garden under a rosemary bush and youngest made a marker from part of a welsh green slate recycled victorian roof tile . Among the things she wrote was he was a human ! Years ago , still in the heart but the laughs and the memories live on now .
    Hope all goes well on Thursday at Rheumatology . Our consultant is also a long distance away but Dr having shared care means only once in a blue moon visits to the Consultant . That dept didn't step up a year ago when i was bettering them with phone calls .Dr is still dealing with the outcome hence another barbotage . I and he were waving red flags and ignored . A rare event over the years for us Caronc has a brilliant consultant as do many so you should be fine .
    CandyI hope you had a better night last night . Do you have hayfever or allergies . Last year and this have been high alert years .
    I had to start my AH way earlier last year and stop them much later .This year is following the same pattern .
    Hope you're ok Caronc and Elona

Think it's LL and Tink next and I'm caught up . I'm stopping for some lunch . Back later .

polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm staying away from Amit because of the side effects. I have had so many weird reactions to antidepressants in the past that I think I will stay away from all of them.
    I was so far away with the Faeries when they gave me Amy-on-a-Trampoline that I was a danger to myself and others!! :eek:
    My anti-d medication these days is Moclobemide.
    There are so many different ones, it's just a question of finding what works for you, I think.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • pollyanna_26
    Wednesday Quick reply . When you read online sources you can learn a lot but you need caution . That information is from an American doctor . Different countries have different guidelines on what can be prescribed and what can't . My advice is always to discuss things with the best medic you deal with . We have that one in a million doctor and check everything with him . He has a genuine interest in complex health situations and we're in safe hands .
    In the next few days I'll think of the books or other sources that have been helpful and provided good fibro information .
    polly x

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hope you're ok Caronc and Elona

polly
    Thanks polly
    I'm doing ok though didn't have the best start to the day when I sneezed unexpectedly and fell over.....:(
    I'm still struggling with the new meds so living very quietly.

Re bar stools I have one very similiar to LW and find it great, much less cumbersome than a perching stool.:)
  • pollyanna_26
    Caronc Only you could sneeze and fall over ! You aren't a weeble , if you wobble you will fall down .
    Is this still the same flippin' take it until October med ? I don't know how you can keep your patience .
    Thanks for the stool info I'll be looking at that and LWs suggestion later .
    Hope you feel a bit less wobbly now .
    polly

• I have two of those stools as well. Mine are wood effect though. They are great as OH can fold them away when I don't need them; small one bed flat so folding it away is needed. I have a little folding table as well that I use a lot, for eating, writing, put my laptop on etc. Just the perfect height for use while sitting on the sofa.

Pollyanna26 don't worry I think it's funny the way I do it too. Yeah I'm an obstinate one. I will always try and find a way to do something I want to do. It might not be perfect but I'll make it happen if I can.
    Usually I don't stop when I should but I really try and make sure when I have work the next day or it makes work basically unbearable. I hate letting people down so I don't want to overdo it and not be able to work the next day or get sent home early when it could have been avoided.
    Over did it yesterday but no work today so it's easier to suffer through the consequences. Sat/laying on sofa watching sons of anarchy eating fruit.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • pollyanna_26
    Thanks LW for the good wishes re the scaitica and the stool link . Sciatica is rumbling in the background as I type . I had some lunch and shifted a few heavy boxes to get at the plumbing stuff in the garage brought in my padded garden kneeler and am trying to stop the avoidance and face the leak under the sink .
    I did look fro a waterproof cushion but like yourself couldn't see it on A . I'm still thinking of the reading cushions but will be strong !
    OT only came here many years ago for me via physio and left the stool . Don't know if it's different now but my eyes were glazing over and I was losing the will to go on .
    Some people can deal with it . I can't I know by now what will help and what wont . DD like yourself step away from the personal space .
    Very frustrated with the garden too . I'm finding it hard to even think in this heat . Money is earmarked for other things than a nice retired gardener bringing it back into shape .
    I glanced at the headlines online this morning . " September Heatwave " lets light our candles etc and hope they're wrong . Enjoy your time with Cookie .
    polly

• pollyanna_26
    Tink You always sound very organised and good at planning ahead it makes everything much easier when you can be like that .
    I can't see a problem with you trying some of the things LL recommended . Different things suit different people ,

LL Lots of interesting stuff in your posts . I know you are an experienced house doer upper but did you use a mask when painting ?
    I have a sensitivity to an awful lot of things . Even the most simple ones set me off . I use the more extreme version of dust masks as the standard ones don't do it for me .
    The sensitivity extends across so many things can't have plastic . I can walk into a shop and smell the chemicals in clothes and on and on . Milk is as always glass bottles on the doorstep . Food isin glass or SS containers .
    Mum used to swear by a good epsom salts bath . A few years ago I was wandering around TK Max and came across a large jar of certified dead sea salt crystals with lots of dried lavender and rose petals . Wow were they amazing . An evening soak would send dd out like a light which isn't easy .
    I never saw them again but I grow loads of herbs and roses and other herbal flowering plants so with a real dead sea salt totally doable .
    I'm with you on the bedroom electrics . I have a large central light which is very rarely used and a bedside lamp . The two alarm clocks ( lots of very early starts so two are louder ) run on batteries .
    Apart from the lamp nothing is plugged in permanently in there .
    No tv upstairs and weather permitting I sleep fairly well .
    I'm glad the other bed has helped . Let's hope it continues .
    polly

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport