Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad

Comments

• BAW9DV
    BAW9DV Posts: 9 Forumite
    Thanks for replying,
    This has been discussed to death here. Get 2 sims from t-mobile or at&t or one if the mvnos and that's it. Calls to anywhere in the us is the same and quite reasonable. The sims can be easily had on eBay or Walmart, target, etc. You can even walk into a store and get a free sim. As long as you buy topup.

Ok, this may have been discussed to death but I wasn't here when it was! Really appreciate the "warm" welcome!:(

Also, I have no idea what a "mvnos" is!

I understand that sims can be had pretty cheap in the US - but obviously when I start to make calls back to the UK, its going to be pretty expensive isn't it?

And why two sims?

Thanks for your help,

Lee
  • BAW9DV
    BAW9DV Posts: 9 Forumite
    Ziggy,

Thanks for the kind responce...
    Hi Lee welcome :)

I find the whole thing confusing too, here are a few ideas that I am considering for the USA, some of them might help you.

There's a calling card for calls back to the UK

(.. links removed ...)

or these sim cards

(... links removed ....)

( I do think you can get other similar ones on ebay).

I'm no expert on any of this but it might give you some ideas and maybe someone in 'the know' might be able to advise further :).

Thanks. TRU looks good but I looked into the "How to Set Up Guide" on their page and it seems they really want you to move over to them (PAC code) which I cannot do since I am in a contract - and I would not want to anyway really.

PinPlan looks complicated as well.

Right now, UK2Abroad looks a very good option - but I see elsewhere that their service appears to be pretty bad with someone ordering a sim well ahead of time and then actually going abroad and getting back and still no sim arrived! And no refund or any further contact at all from the company! I see no phone number for them either (email or contact page only) which disturbs me, despite them being recommended by MoneySavingExpert.com

Very confusing really.

I have emailed them for advice on what they would recommend - but no reply so far.

Anyway, thanks again for your help,

Lee
  • mrcamp
    mrcamp Posts: 308
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I suggested 2 sims because you said you and the wife were traveling. Mvnos are carriers that piggyback on the other major carriers. They sometimes have better rates. One example is Tuyo mobile that has excellent international rates. International calls will be expensive with most other carriers. Just check their respective websites. You can even get a phone/sim package in one of the several stores for dirt cheap. It will be a cheap phone if course.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Lee don't know if this is any good to you or if you have to be a Virgin Holidays customer but here you go

https://virginholidays.forumtel.com/ppc/OrderPhones/Home.aspx

Is Forumtel even affiliated with Virgin Holidays? Is there any proof it this, eg inbound link from Virgin site?
  • buglawton
    Forumite
    Still no inbound links from a real Virgin site then?
  • buglawton
    Forumite
    Think I've already decided its just crafty marketing and probably unauthorised use of the Virgin logo.
  • wz4jc3
    wz4jc3 Posts: 4 Newbie
    I am on Orange and I will be travelling to both France and Spain over the next 6 weeks.

I have spoken to Orange who have setup a roaming package for 30 days for £5. The guy said I would be able to send a text message to my wife back in the UK, who can then call me back on her mobile to me in France free of charge. The package allows 200 minutes of free incoming calls.

Has anybody else used this facility and can confirm it will be free for my wife to call from the UK to my mobile in France.

Thanks for any advice.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Assuming your wife has free or inclusive calls on her mobile package, it costs the same to call a UK mobile whether it is in the UK or overseas. It is the person receiving the call who pays roaming charges for receiving it, but it sounds like your package covers that.
  • wz4jc3
    wz4jc3 Posts: 4 Newbie
    luci wrote: »
    Assuming your wife has free or inclusive calls on her mobile package, it costs the same to call a UK mobile whether it is in the UK or overseas. It is the person receiving the call who pays roaming charges for receiving it, but it sounds like your package covers that.

Thanks very much. RESULT!! :T
  • Hey Luci,

Thanks for sharing this. I am also planning to travel overseas in coming days and was worried over the same roming reason. I can travel with comfort now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback